Skip to content

Torment: Tides of Numenera

melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
First gameplay trailer is out:

So far looks like claims of a proper Torment spiritual successor were spot on. :)

Also, website got an update:
http://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

JuliusBorisovKamigoroshielminsterAristilliusrufus_hobartmeaglothMessiNWN_babaYagaAwong124MhamzaCrevsDaak[Deleted User]QuartzRavenslightNonnahswriterjackjackButtercheesekamuizinStarflower2525Daemondevir

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    oooh god i'm so excited
    Ravenslightjackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, although the trailer looks OOOOO, the experience we have with PoE currently makes me patient. A real gaming experience may turn out to be a little bit different to the one I can imagine from the trailer.
    Schneidend
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    While Pillars of Eternity is of course also very nice, I simply prefer Torment's unique dystopian/biopunk sci-fi game world over yet another high fantasy setting. It's just more refreshing to me.
    meaglothSouthpawjackjack
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2014
    Steampunk elements are cool. And yes, i´m cool too!

Damn that trailer looks great :)
    [Deleted User]
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    It looked so good that I had to pre-order the damn thing... :)
    Kamigoroshijackjack
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I'm looking forward to this a lot more than pillars of eternity. I like the science fantasy/steampunk stuff, and the more I great about PoE the less excited I get. I haven't played PS:T yet so I've never seen that novelesque dialog. That looks amazing!
    elminsterrufus_hobartkaguana
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

While Pillars of Eternity is of course also very nice, I simply prefer Torment's unique dystopian/biopunk sci-fi game world over yet another high fantasy setting. It's just more refreshing to me.

Same here. Also TB combat is way superior to RwP.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Recognizably Torment. That's a good sign. There have been too many games trying to piggyback on the reputation of the IE games to promote themselves and end up nothing like the works they claim to be inspired by or even emulate. The trailer is quite convincing.
    rufus_hobartjackjack
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    One thing to notice is that they are currently doing extra stretch goal for new area. If they reach 4.75 million by 16th of October. Currently the progress is at 57.3%. So if you plan to buy Torment at some point doing so now would give a bigger game for all of us. :)

Here's a brief area description:
    https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/game/stretch-goals
    jackjack
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'd just like to point out how people are praising this trailer for all those shiny dialogue options, of which there were typically four at any given time. Yet, when a newer game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age offer the same number of dialogue options, if not more, people cry foul about RPGs being dumbed down.

There was also a decided lack of combat. As much as I like to make decisions and talk to NPCs, I also like to sink my teeth into some juicy mechanical systems.

The game definitely looks promising, but I'm not chomping at the bit for it.
    Quartz
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

I'd just like to point out how people are praising this trailer for all those shiny dialogue options, of which there were typically four at any given time. Yet, when a newer game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age offer the same number of dialogue options, if not more, people cry foul about RPGs being dumbed down.

Take a closer look at the trailer; the number of dialogue choices vary between five (shown four times), four (shown a single time), and three (also a single time).

The "mattering" difference between the shown choices here and the franchises you named, for me personally, is that their formulation is both more detailed and elaborated. The dialogue choices found within the Dragon Age/Mass Effect franchises on the other hand probably are best described as note-taking. Such short sentences may indeed appeal to a lot of people out there. But I'm not amongst them.
    CrevsDaakelminsterQuartzjackjack
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Oh, bloody hell, THIS is fantastic. I wondered if "PST Spiritual Successor" isn't too far of a statement, but now I'm confident it was not. For a moment I felt, like playing PST for a first time *shivers*.
    Kamigoroshijackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Looks pretty good, and it uses the same engine as PoE (AFAIK), so no modding for this one too, which, if the game is actually like PS:T, it won't need any type of mods (since this game is getting made for screen resolutions of this times, and we can hope combat is better).
    elminsterJuliusBorisovjackjack

Take a closer look at the trailer; the number of dialogue choices vary between five (shown four times), four (shown a single time), and three (also a single time).

The "mattering" difference between the shown choices here and the franchises you named, for me personally, is that their formulation is both more detailed and elaborated. The dialogue choices found within the Dragon Age/Mass Effect franchises on the other hand probably are best described as note-taking. Such short sentences may indeed appeal to a lot of people out there. But I'm not amongst them.
    And Mass Effect and Dragon Age have just as many dialogues with responses in the 3-5 range.

And, the while the actual text you choose in DA or ME is a note, the character speaks a full line of dialogue, and the same narrative effect is achieved.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @‌
    Erg said:

CrevsDaak said:

Looks pretty good, and it uses the same engine as PoE (AFAIK), so no modding for this one too

The developer, inXile, has announced that an official modding tool will be provided, sometime after release, for its other game, Wasteland 2, so it is very likely it'll do the same for Torment: Tides of Numenera. It looks like every developers understand how important it is to support the modding community, except Obsidian.
    That's a bit of a stretch. Wasteland 2 and ToN don't use the same engine, as far as I know, so there's no reason to jump to conclusions like that.

@Schneidend - Please drop the "ME/DA2 had as good conversation options". We've been over that a dozen times in the past and there's no reason to repeat it in this thread.
    NWN_babaYaga
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    scriver said:

That's a bit of a stretch. Wasteland 2 and ToN don't use the same engine

I don't know how much variation there is in terms of how each game uses the engine, but both games do use the Unity engine.
    ErgCrevsDaakjackjack
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @elminster -
    Yeah, "engine" was probably the wrong choice of word from my side. What I mean is that it'll probably be under the same kind of limitations as PoE is, while W2 is not, so extrapolating that they will or even might release a modkit for it is jumping ahead of ourselves. After all, they haven't even delivered in the W2 toolkit yet, and we don't know what that'll amount to in practice.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    scriver said:

Yeah, "engine" was probably the wrong choice of word from my side. What I mean is that it'll probably be under the same kind of limitations as PoE is, while W2 is not, so extrapolating that they will or even might release a modkit for it is jumping ahead of ourselves. After all, they haven't even delivered in the W2 toolkit yet, and we don't know what that'll amount to in practice.

@scriver, they have to release the tool for W2 because it is one of their Kickstarter stretch goals. AFAIK they don't have any obligations concerning ToN, so maybe I'm being too optimistic on the matter, but once they have a working tool for W2 I don't think it would be too demanding for them to provide a similar tool also for ToN considering that both games share the same engine.
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2014
    Erg said:

I don't think it would be too demanding for them to provide a similar tool also for ToN considering that both games share the same engine.

Unity is not an engine in the same sense as Infinity engine is an engine.
    With unity you can build anything from a bejeweled clone to a 3d shooter, so the same, or even similar, modding tolls cannot be applied to both.
    We know that Torment will use PoE technology, which means if anything, we should look to the modability of PoE as a sign of how modable T:ToN will be.

edited September 2014
    melakon said:

Unity is not an engine in the same sense as Infinity engine is an engine.
    With unity you can build anything from a bejeweled clone to a 3d shooter, so the same, or even similar, modding tolls cannot be applied to both.
    We know that Torment will use PoE technology, which means if anything, we should look to the modability of PoE as a sign of how modable T:ToN will be.

@melakon, both W2 and T:ToN will have the same moddability of PoE, i.e. they will be almost impossible to mod unless the developer releases an official modding tool.

W2 will have one for sure. I agree that we don't know yet for sure about T:ToN and PoE, but based on the developers statements and on the fact that W2 and T:ToN are from the same developer, I find much more likely that an official modding tool could be provided for T:ToN rather than for PoE, but this is just my personal expectation and I could be wrong. Will have to wait and see how things pan out.
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    Erg said:

I find much more likely that an official modding tool could be provided for T:ToN rather than for PoE

I disagree, considering T:ToN is using Obsidian's PoE technology(the "engine" essentially) which inXile is licensing I really doubt we'll see modding tools for ToN unless they come out for PoE as well.

melakon said:

I disagree, considering T:ToN is using Obsidian's PoE technology(the "engine" essentially) which inXile is licensing I really doubt we'll see modding tools for ToN unless they come out for PoE as well.

Actually what the developers of T:ToN have said is that T:ToN will include the most relevant components of PoE technology, W2 technology and T:ToN own original technology. So I still think that the mere existence of a tool for W2 makes more likely that a similar tool will be released for T:ToN than PoE, unless this time it is Obsidian turn to licence something from inXile, i.e. the modding tool technology :)
    CrevsDaakelminster
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    One thing to consider is that W2 is 3D, while T:ToN and PoE have 2D backgrounds. Not sure exactly what significance that will have, but at the very least I doubt you're going to be able to create new areas for T:ToN/PoE, modding tools or no.
    CrevsDaakjackjack
    scriver said:

That's a bit of a stretch. Wasteland 2 and ToN don't use the same engine, as far as I know, so there's no reason to jump to conclusions like that.

@Schneidend - Please drop the "ME/DA2 had as good conversation options". We've been over that a dozen times in the past and there's no reason to repeat it in this thread.

I'm sorry if my bringing up the rampant hypocrisy and pretense of RPG elitists bothers you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2014
    Post edited by NWN_babaYaga on