Skip to content

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

:) I think they'll extend it until they make it. :D

Or they'll just call it and do it anyway, it's far too close to complete to take the money and not do The Gullet at this point.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Can you imagine? Russian RPG site RPGNuke has made an interview with Colin McComb :)

- What is the status of the project now?

Colin: We are shifting from limited production to production. What limited production means is that we were creating content for the game, but not at the speed that we might expect during a full production period. Rather, it’s in ways that prove out our ideas and concepts, or that show where the weaknesses in our pipeline are, or that help build the best processes for the whole team.
    As to whether we had to cut anything: We have! But that’s natural for any project as we assess scope and our desired impact. We’ve tightened up the story in some places, expanded it in others, and tried to make sure that we are focused exactly on delivering what we’ve promised to our backers. We’ve also managed to expand areas that were smaller in the original vision, and I’m happy with where we are as a result of our discussions.
    The transition from Wasteland 2 to Torment is happening slowly and carefully under Kevin’s supervision. He wants to make sure that the newer members of the team are done with their responsibilities on Wasteland 2, or at least done enough that they can begin to devote serious attention to our project. They’ll start by getting familiar with our tools and our processes, and they can point out places where our processes and documentation need improvement. As more and more of them come over, and as people ramp up on the project, we’ll see a faster pace for production and creation of all our assets.

- New Torment will have turn-based combat system. Not everyone is happy about that... What do you prefer: turn-based or realtime with pause?

Colin: With Planescape: Torment, we didn’t really have a choice, as I recall. We were working with the Infinity Engine, and we were working on delivering an experience that matched (at least in part) what Bioware had done with Baldur’s Gate. We had a much broader latitude to choose turn-based or real-time with pause for this game, but even then we had a difficult decision to make. Having backer feedback was invaluable, and even then, it was a tough decision. The more we delve into the Crisis system, the more I am convinced we made the right choice.
    My personal preference for games depends on what game I’m playing. I’m not an absolutist in either direction.

- At first glance it seems that Torment: Tides of Numenera replicates a lot of ideas from Planescape: Torment. Do you think this statement is correct?

Colin: I agree with "at first glance" and "seems". That is, it might appear that way superficially, but one could say that of any number of stories. We're intentionally focusing on an intensely personal story, as PST did (though we're talking about issues of legacy and abandonment rather than regret and growth); we're in a strange, alien world, with unusual characters for an RPG. We chose all these similarities deliberately, identifying them as key parts of the Torment experience. But we are also deliberately stepping away from a number of the things that PST did, because we don't want to replicate it. Our mission is to analyze what we loved about PST, and then to make a game that will be a worthy successor to that title, a welcome peer, and hopefully a milestone for future development.

- How do you think: what are the defining features of Torment games (including both: Planescape: Torment and Tides of Numenera)?

Colin: We've defined a Torment game as consisting of four primary pillars:
    1. A deep, thematically satisfying story. That is, a story that revolves around a handful of themes that we tie into every aspect of design. What we chose for TTON are legacy, abandonment, and mystery.
    2. A world that is far, far different from a standard fantasy/medieval world. We want to take the player out of his or her comfort zone and make the world a fresh, new place for the PC to explore.
    3. A rich and personal narrative - that is, the story might feel like a sweeping epic, but in truth it is a very personally directed story, and one that focus specifically on the PC. We're not trying to save the world; the fate of the universe doesn't rest in the PC's hands - though at some point the PC may become responsible for the lives of many, many others, the story remains focused on the PC's personal struggles.
    4. Reactivity, real choice, and real consequences are all important for a Torment game. We don't want our choices to be cosmetic so that that we can push the PC through a predetermined story. We want to make this a story where the player chooses the path and feels like the game and the world responds to those choices. While we'll have certain signposts and chokepoints, our goal is to create a game where the player has freedom to make real choices with real consequences.

More can be found here: http://www.rpgnuke.ru/articles/site/del_vey/interview_with_colin_mccomb_eng.html
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    This has really picked up some speed, only less than 1000 dollars to go now!

Also some thoughts from George Ziets, the designer of the stretch goal area:

A Few Words About the Gullet

So here we are… four days remain on the Gullet stretch goal, with a little under $7000 left to raise. Before the stretch goal ends, I’d been meaning to say more about how the Gullet came to be, so if you’re interested in the realities of area design, read on!

I wrote my design for the Bloom in late 2013. At that point in time, very little work had been done on the content side of our game. All we had was a Mere that consisted of two scenes, and we still had to determine the overall look and feel for Torment. My goal was to give our players an experience that was as close to the original Planescape Torment as possible - I played PST a lot while I was writing the design documents, trying to make sure I hit just the right tone and analyzing what worked and what didn’t.
    One element that sometimes worked… and sometimes didn’t… were the dungeons. While PST was primarily a dialogue-driven experience, it included a few dungeons, strategically scattered throughout the game. Some were purely combat-focused, like the mausoleum in the Hive. Others were a mix of combat, exploration, and dialogues, like the catacombs beneath the Buried Village. I thought the latter worked best. Combat wasn’t one of PST’s strengths, but when it was balanced with exploration and a few dialogues, the whole experience was tense, interesting, and fun. It also contrasted nicely with the dialogue-driven gameplay that preceded and followed it.

So when I designed the Bloom, I decided to include something similar (though shorter in length) – a “dungeon” environment that skewed more heavily toward exploration and discovery. And since players would pass through this area on their way into the Bloom’s depths, it would be set toward the end of the zone… a perfect time to pay off on some of the player’s earlier choices.

That’s how the Gullet was born. This was where old and forgotten things would be found, devoured by the Bloom in the distant past, sinking slowly into its guts, finally coming to rest here. Echoes of the Bloom’s victims would wander here too, including victims the player may have “nudged” to their demise. In the end, all things find their way to the Gullet. (Last week, somebody on the team likened it to the Bloom’s liver, which I thought was a particularly apt comparison.)

I drew up a map on graph paper, numbered the encounter areas (old-school D&D-style), and detailed everything that would happen in the Gullet. When the other leads reviewed the design documentation, they seemed to like the Gullet content, and I was pretty excited to include all this weird and horrific stuff in the game. But strictly speaking, the Bloom could function without the Gullet (and its most important content could be relocated somewhere else), so when we realized that we didn’t have the resources to develop all the content I had proposed, the Gullet became [C] priority. I was sad, but such are the realities of game development.

In the old days (by which I mean 2012 or so), a cut was a cut. If we didn’t have the resources to implement everything we had planned, we made the decision to cut something, and that was that. The cut content was forever lost. But now, in the strange world of crowd-funding, the Gullet has a second chance at life. Will we make it to the stretch goal? I hope so. I think it’ll be fun to prototype our version of a PST dungeon, full of exploration and weird discoveries. If you’ve contributed, thanks for getting us this far… and if all goes well, I’ll see you on the other side of the finish line.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    And the Stretch Goal: George Ziets' The Gullet
    is
    Funded! :DDDD
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    All right :)
    Yes, exciting stuff. Apparently, they have added new features to the dialogue-creator made by Obsidian : )
    Colin McComb has been interviewed at Eurogamer about TToN. It is the first such interview in a while and for the most part, it retreads old ground but there're a few tidbits worth quoting. The interview just confirms my understanding of the future game, that it is concentrated more on the characters and their actions than on the battles.

The role-playing universe Numenera is "less a chess game and more a storytelling game", according to McComb. For Torment that means combat isn't the bread and butter of the experience - story is.

"We are not giving experience for killing stuff," McComb says. "Numenera is about exploration, it's not about killing people and taking their stuff. In a game where we say 'what does one life matter?', we actually want to make it matter." Not, "What does one life matter? Well, about 25XP!"

He goes on: "We have Crises and Tussles. A Crisis is a hand-crafted encounter, a major thing - a major set-piece. Then we've got Tussles for when you screw up a dialogue or get caught picking the wrong pocket. I don't want to call it a trash combat because hopefully it's all going to be entertaining and fun."

[...] You'll recruit companions, which were a crucial element in Planescape: Torment, but there won't be many and you'll adventure in small parties. There's a chance, too, that your companions will die. In fact, based upon your actions, they could already be dead before you meet them.

"If you choose to seek out one companion earlier than another, then the other companion will be gone from where they are - they might be dead," says McComb. "Or they might be in a situation where you're going to have to work a whole lot harder to extricate them from it. Or they might be getting into something that can change the course of the story.

"We're looking at some really deep reactivity here on things that will change. It's not going to be just, 'Are you going to save the kitten in the burning building? Or are you going to come back two weeks later and save them then?'"

He adds: "A lot of people can perma-die. We can find some weird, hand-wavy explanation about why you can save people but there are certainly a number of options where people can perma-die."

There have been a couple of delays to TToN but the end is finally in sight. The good news is it will "definitely" - read: hopefully - be out this year, according to McComb, although it sounds like there's still an awful lot of work to do. The official date is Q4 2015, but that's "probably late 2015" in actuality. There don't appear to be any plans for an Early Access release, but those who backed the game at the appropriate level will get access to an alpha systems test ahead of the game's full launch.

This is what the article from Eurogamer says. The rest can be read here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-18-getting-re-excited-for-torment-tides-of-numenera
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    ‘What does one life matter?’ gives me chills even more than ‘What can change the nature of a man?’. Oh the possibilities! I really hope it does come out this year, though I would not be surprised if it took a little longer. A lot of thought and work must go into something with this much depth.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    I hope they make some references to some of the events in the first one, or even some cameos. I am a sucker for those.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Yeah, I agree, though there'll probably be references, even if of the more abstract kind. Maybe like finding an ancient 2nd ed ADnD Planescape rulebook, or a Nameless One figurine, or stuff like that.
    2 new interviews are out!

http://www.urbangamingelite.com/features/articles/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview/

http://it-tormentrpg.tumblr.com/Colin_McComb_on_Torment_Narrative

They're worth reading. I'll just leave here these several chapters.

The Plot. Like its predecessor, Torment: Tides of Numenera will be an isometric RPG that emphasizes storytelling and features a philosophical leitmotif ("what does one life matter?"). The game takes place in the Ninth World, a far-future version of Earth where numerous advanced civilizations have come and gone. Although the Ninth World itself is vaguely medieval, the inhabitants often scavenge relics from these past civilizations (the titular 'Numenera'). These artifacts can do strange and wonderful things, and one individual—the Changing God—has used them to become immortal by moving through a succession bodies. Unbeknownst to the Changing God, new consciousnesses arise in his discarded bodies Players will take on the role of one of these bodies, an incarnation known as the Last Castoff. Unfortunately, the Changing God's pursuit of immortality has awakened a being known as the Angel of Entropy, and he's determined to hunt the Changing God as well as his various incarnations. The Last Castoff must spend the game trying to reunite with the Changing God before the Angel destroys them both.

- So, first thing first, “What does one life matter?” is a fascinating question, which also matches perfectly with a CRPG heavily focused on choices & consequences. Was that connection a factor when you picked the main theme of ToN or it is just a coincidence, and how far you want to go down this road (I mean, with C&C)?

- Colin McComb (Creative Lead): It was intentional from the start. We picked our theme of legacy first, but tied in with that was the knowledge that legacy is strongly tied to the choices one makes throughout life. We knew early on that we wanted intense and long-reaching reactivity in the game, and we’ve been building connections both large and small throughout. We’re planning on doing various passes through the game to make sure we’ve got plenty of responses to the player’s choices.
    One issue with a purely story-related game is that we do have to maintain some control over the plot, so we have to limit some of the reactivity or risk watching the whole thing explode.

- In a nutshell, how will the gameplay of Tides of Numenera differ from Planescape?

- Adam Heine (Design Lead): The most obvious difference will be combat—not only because TTON's combat will be turn-based, but because combat will almost never be just combat. Even the most battle-focused Crisis in Torment might have opportunities to talk to NPCs (e.g. to command allies, sway enemies to your side, to draw out secrets that can aid you in the Crisis, etc.) and to interact with the environment. Crises will be few in number, but that enables us to be more focused, making each one interesting and challenging in its own way.
    As I alluded to before, exploration gameplay won't have all the locks, traps, and dungeon crawls of the Infinity Engine games. But there will still be plenty of corners to explore and secrets to find. And dialogue, of course, is taking everything from Planescape: Torment—all the depth and choices and riddles of the original. We're adding a couple of minor elements to the gameplay here and there (for example, Numenera's concept of Effort), but this is the part of the game will feel the most like TTON's predecessor.

- Our readers are always eager to learn new details about Torment Companions. Can you tell us something we don’t already know about one or two of them?

- Colin McComb (Creative Lead): Our cold, calculating jack’s name is Matkina. Her original conception was the stainless steel jack, a nod to Harry Harrison’s “Stainless Steel Rat”, and her character arc originated there. It’s changed significantly since then, but the deadly confidence, careful thought, and occasional impulsiveness colored her initial narrative portrait.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2015
    Normal, huh? To me Aligern looks horribly shriveled up and partial skinless to boot. Well, at least he looks way more handsome than the Fallout ghouls in that aspect. :p
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    He looks normal to me... I hope it does not become a what color is the dress kind of thing :)
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Couldn't they gave us the chance we can choose whether turn or realtime pause combat.
    But it will be very good. Anyway it is spiritual successor at all.
    bengoshi said:

- Adam Heine (Design Lead): The most obvious difference will be combat—not only because TTON's combat will be turn-based, but because combat will almost never be just combat.
    Even the most battle-focused Crisis in Torment might have opportunities to talk to NPCs (e.g. to command allies, sway enemies to your side, to draw out secrets that can aid you in the Crisis, etc.) and to interact with the environment. Crises will be few in number, but that enables us to be more focused, making each one interesting and challenging in its own way.

I think combat will be interesting, turn-based or not ...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Teflon said:

Couldn't they gave us the chance we can choose whether turn or realtime pause combat.
    But it will be very good. Anyway it is spiritual successor at all.

Oh god no. Remember Arcanum.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Great news! As I'm sure all of you who have watched it have witnessed, the original video about Colin McComb's visit at EGX Rezzed in London was uploaded incomplete. But now we can enjoy the full Torment: Tides of Numenera event with this new footage! And it has 5+ extra minutes of awesomeness to it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36k6v6k4xoI