Skip to content

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Pillars of Eternity is fully funded so why the subtle dismiss of PoE. ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited September 2014
    I know what a beta tester is. If people pay for a beta test then it is your own fault, if you now dismiss the beta then it is your problem. But i judge a game once it´s completed! Pretty easy right ? no seems not today....

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited September 2014
    Sergio said:

are you serious?

LOL

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/whitefox531/rpg-dragon-age-2-vs-planescape-torment-43F04350441043E0447043D0438044604300-538328_zps9b538221.jpeg

anyway, I didn't play MAss effect, but Dragon age was all but memorable... I mean, I've finished it 4-5 times, but then I deleted it for good and gifted it to a friend.

While immortal stuff like bg2 and torment gets replayed once every three months. And everytime I still discover new stuff. Talk about differences...

...Are you serious? My entire point was that the "note" dialogue options in Dragon Age 2 or the Mass Effect franchise translate into fully-voiced dialogues that are equivalent to the written text of Torment. When you pick "I'm hungry" in the Dragon Age screenshot, Hawke doesn't simply say "I'm hungry." Showing a side-by-side screenshot comparison is meaningless taken out of the context of full voiced dialogue.
    Sergio said:

Pillars of Eternity is fully funded so why the subtle dismiss of PoE. ?

Because they have no idea on how to make a game. They thought and claimed it would be amazing, and they even released a beta to augment the hype. Because let's be sincere, why would you be releasing a beta, if not for the users to enjoy?

And the beta turned complete crap

Edit: we also know no detail about the story... if they had something in their hands they would at least release something. Instead, complete darkness
    There's actually been several interviews about the lore of the game and the bakcstories and personalities of the characters. It might help to read them.
    edited September 2014
    Sergio said:

Yes, but comparing dragon age' dialogues to torment. You can't be serious. Let's be sincere. :|

I was absolutely sincere. I find Torment to be woefully overrated and its continued cult fandom to be largely based on pretense and nostalgia. I don't have figures on hand, but I'd be willing to bet that Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 have more words devoted to dialogue in their respective scripts than Torment. The Old Republic, certainly, has many more.
    Messi said:

OMG just stop it already. Your derail has absolutely nothing to do with this thread @Schneidend. Could @Dee or some other moderator please help keep this thread on topic.

It has everything to do with the thread. The thread is about Torment: Tides of Numenera, and this trailer in particular, and I'm comparing games, principally this one and Dragon Age, with similar levels of dialogue, that receive very different criticism from hardcore RPG players. You not agreeing with me doesn't make it any less on topic.
    edited September 2014
    edited September 2014
    a beta test now a days means to have fun. Because of the word "test"... eh... beta fun = test no test beta = fun :D
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Sergio said:

I would say that beta testing means that features are already polished and you are searching for bugs, more than actively tweaking the game, but maybe I'm confusing beta for alpha...

the only difference between beta and alpha is that the alpha version is only distrubuted among the developers, while the beta might even be an open beta or a private one, but it's already out of it's alpha phase.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2014
    This is the last warning before the thread is closed. The topic is Torment: Tides of Numenaria. Keep this Thread on topic and civil, please.

If you wish to discuss Pilars of Eternity there's a thread for that already. If you wish to debate what is defined as beta software nowadays, feel free to open a new thread.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm anxious to see which portrait format Torment will use. From the trailer it appears to be 256x256-ish like in Wasteland 2, only round. Hopefully custom portraits don't require to be round as well. 'Cause cropping them like that would be a royal pain in the neck.
    edited September 2014
    Sergio said:

I would say that beta testing means that features are already polished and you are searching for bugs, more than actively tweaking the game, but maybe I'm confusing beta for alpha...

It depends entirely upon the developer. In the Destiny beta, the random event missions where you have to kill an enemy Ultra (mini-boss, basically) before he can reach a series of checkpoints was a lot easier, but in the retail version the event became a lot more difficult with the Ultra regaining health and shields at insane rates or sometimes even instantly.

To be clear, here, my example was meant to show that games get tweaked, and not just bug fixed, during the beta phase all the time.
    Post edited by Schneidend on
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    One thing that did bother me about the new trailer for TToN is the full voice acting. I really liked how in Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment only certain lines had voice acting, so that made those lines more memorable. Full voice acting won't ruin the game; I just prefer partial voice acting.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Looks interesting... The crisis system reminds me of the old DC Heroes RPG system where you could spend hero points to change reality in your favor... Having a bottle of acid in reach of your hand during a fight, for instance.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    One thing I'm wondering is if experience points have some sort of tangible form in the game. It feels weird when in a game you do a quest for a poor person and when you complete it you get like 1000000 experience, but your character is outraged at the person not being able to "give a good reward," even though your character just got a better reward than any item the person could possibly have given.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Thanks @bengoshi‌ it's an interesting article. As for the XP/DP I think it could actually work ...
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    The stretch goal time limit was extended till the end of the month, and it got very nice growth spur from the new KS update too. It's 92% done now. This is probably also the only chance to get a Torment T-shirt, or a poster, as both of those options are scheduled to disappear on October 31st.