Skip to content

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I like the writing but the interface and combat systems still definitely need polishing.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    elminster said:

Yea I like the writing but the interface and combat systems still definitely need polishing.

Feels like this game has been in development forever and the beta (which is almost feels like a pre-alpha in many respects) is very, very unpolished. I wouldn't expect this thing before Halloween, if not later.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The first pass of the writing is officially completed. This means that the story has been written, quests are layed out and that the finetuning and optimizations of the story can begin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1511197

"So what is next for Torment? We are hoping to have the game content complete by the beginning of April. At that point, we will be taking the game into iteration. We are dedicated to getting Torment right, so just like the writing needs to go through polish passes, we have allotted significant time for ourselves to improve upon the game's content. This includes things like additional passes on environment art and visual effects, quests and dialog, user interface art and functionality, and gameplay balance, not to mention fixing bugs and optimizing performance."
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Would be funny if they made a joke about overpriced DLC's again as well, just like they did in Wasteland 2's main menu. :wink:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited May 2016
    Brian Fargo has given an interview to http://existentialgamer.com/.

EG: Torment: Tides of Numenera seems like a hugely ambitious project, one that aims to redefine what a CRPG can be. As it enters open beta, what would you say to a player going in without having played the original Torment? What about a hardcore fan?

BF: I would want anyone new or old to prepare for a literary experience as they begin playing Torment: Tides of Numenera. The quality of its writing and the bizarre universe it established were what made Planescape: Torment wonderful. These are the focus of this game as well. It is not a game that works if your mindset is to rush towards victory.

P.S. It's funny that Brian Fargo mentions Sacrifice, the game from 2000, as something he considers to be very interesting. "That game was so creative and the multi-player aspects really hooked me." I remember that game too and I liked it a lot.

http://existentialgamer.com/brian-fargo-on-fallout-torment-wasteland-3-interview

Also, RPG Codex interviews Feargus Urquhart (from Obsidian) at Digital Dragons 2016, and he said something related to TToN:

JMR: You lent inXile the Pillars of Eternity engine for Torment.

FY: Yeah.

JMR: Are the two companies working separately on the engine? Or are you exchanging technical updates and/or feedback?

FU: So how it works is... so we're not an engine support...we're not an engine development company, right? So part of it is that when inXile... the idea was that, you know like, we will help you as much as we can but you're kinda taking the engine and you'll get our updates and things like that. And we get some things back from them. But also, they own what they've done, so they made a change to the engine. You know, it's basically like... we try to do that, like... when we do technical work on our games, even if it's on the Star Wars game we try to own whatever we can. So it's the same, because we want them to feel ownership over their game and how they keep on making it. And so there is some conversation, but I would probably say... there probably could be more? You know, I would say like neither... we have not made it a priority to kind of make that happen, everyone's busy. [laughs]. So I could probably say that's the thing. If I had to say about it I would say, yeah, I would say that I think it's... we probably should have made more of an effort to work together, but we still...the teams chat about things, and when they need some help, they ask and we give it to them, you know. Like for instance, we wanted their implementation of WWise which is an audio engine and they sent it over to us, so there is still passing back and forth but it could probably be more.

JMR: Yeah, you may be both fighting against the same bug.

FU: [laughs]

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10307
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @JuliusBorisov OMG yes Sacrifice was an amazing game!
    www.gamegrin.com has interviewed George Ziets, the Lead Area Designer of TToN:

GameGrin:

What was the most important thing to you, going into creating Torment: Tides of Numenera?

George:

For me personally, it was recapturing the exuberant weirdness of Planescape: Torment. That's what I loved most about the game, and that's what I still remember now, more than fifteen years after I first played it. In PST, I could remove my own eyeball, carry around my intestines, learn to understand the language of creatures who spoke in rebuses, engage in philosophical discussion with giant golems. Nearly every NPC was strange and memorable, with a unique voice that sounded different from everyone else. (At the time, as someone who was just getting started in game writing, this was a revelation to me, and it inspired me to be a better, more flexible writer.)

It was clear to me that the Planescape design team wasn't worried about conforming to expectations or being too different from the usual fantasy fare - they were letting their imaginations run wild.

I wanted to do the same in TTON. Fortunately, we had the benefit of the Numenera setting, which encourages imagination. It's a setting with a billion years of history and technology behind it, and literally anything can happen. We also had the benefit of some excellent, highly creative writers. When I was designing areas and coming up with strange NPCs and circumstances for the player to encounter, it was always a pleasant surprise to see how the writers fleshed out the characters and made them even more interesting than they'd been in the design documents.

Based on my playthroughs of our first zone, Sagus Cliffs, I think we've succeeded in creating a highly imaginative world for players to explore. If anything, some of the later content feels more "Tormenty" than Sagus Cliffs - it keeps the weirdness, but it gets a little darker and feels even more like the original game.

GameGrin:

In Torment, you're not able to customise the appearance of your character beyond the sex. What's the aim behind this design choice?

George:

In our game, the player is being dropped into the shoes of a specific character (much as the player took the role of the Nameless One in PST). In this case, that character is the Last Castoff, the most recently vacated body of the Changing God. It's important to our narrative that the character have, for example, a specific and recognizable tattoo, and that his or her head is scarred from the fall to earth that begins the story.

One notable change from Planescape: Torment is that your clothing won't be limited to a single outfit. You'll be able to wear a variety of armors, which range from the mundane (plate or brigandine) to the Numenera-exotic (living exoskeletons, synth armor from previous worlds, or even animate Bloom-flesh).

The whole interview is available here.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by brus on
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Squee!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Let's hope they release it some time.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I can say, from the little bit I've played of the latest beta patch, InXile have made some vast improvements over the original beta release. The optimization alone is huge. They've also shortened the beginning area since it didn't seem like anyone really enjoyed the original area very much. Kudos to them for listening to the community. And in case anyone missed it, the beta is now available to all backers who would be getting the game as part of their donation (including Bards Tale IV backers).
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Wow...I've gotten to play a few hours of the beta, and I am very optimistic the game will be a classic. Not for everyone, for sure, but for fans of the original a home run. There's some stuff that's still obviously still being worked on, but from what I've seen so far, it's really solid and fun.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I supported this game a few years ago. Now that it's finally here, my computer can't even run it :/
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Sigil was a huge part of PST. It had its own personality and lore. Another thing is it really provided the sandbox that you played in. You explore Sigil and make trips from there. I wonder how much TON here will miss having that additional "character" that Sigil provided.

I finally watched the trailer on page 1 and many things were familiar such as the protagonist's deep voice, lots of text, and the art style but I wonder how much the character of Sigil will be missed. Here's hoping for the best.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Is it suppose to have a mac version when it releases?
    There's a review of Torment: The Explorer's Guide - a pen-and-paper sourcebook for TToN.
    edited September 2016
    procco said:

I can say, from the little bit I've played of the latest beta patch, InXile have made some vast improvements over the original beta release. The optimization alone is huge. They've also shortened the beginning area since it didn't seem like anyone really enjoyed the original area very much. Kudos to them for listening to the community. And in case anyone missed it, the beta is now available to all backers who would be getting the game as part of their donation (including Bards Tale IV backers).

Yea i have to admit ive played it additionally a few hours today. Its really improved compared to what it was like when it was initially available on Steam. Its kind of too bad they arent updating it again until release but so far im really digging the setting and elements like the tides.
    Updated Our Journal (58): Gamescom 2016, Building the Necropolis

"tl;dr: Torment comes to Germany, Adam and Joby talk design

Hello Exiles,

Chris checking in. In our last update, we mentioned that we had partnered with Techland Publishing for Torment, and that our first major event would be showing the game at Gamescom 2016. After quite a few weeks of prep, it was go time. Brian, Colin, George, Thomas and myself all packed our bags up to visit Germany, and it was an incredible experience.

Techland did a fantastic job in setting up not one but two booths for us, and worked around the clock to provide support and assistance demoing the game. We even had professional cosplayers on hand! They are treating Torment like one of their own titles and know how important it is to get things right. We would not have been able to pull it off so successfully without them.

That was reflected in the reception for the game - from press and fans alike, the response was absolutely incredible and universally positive. We even got a few nominations and awards for best RPG and best of show! Here is a glimpse of some of our memories:

https://youtu.be/3aOneGvSybU

We'd like to thank everyone who came by to visit, whether that was stopping by the booth, covering the game as press, or showing up for an autograph with Brian. We could not make this game without the support of all of you and it is deeply gratifying and humbling to see people so passionate for Torment. It's been a long road but we are finally nearing the end.

Of course, for those who didn't get to attend Gamescom directly, there is still plenty of cool new footage and materials to check out. We sat down for multiple video interviews with Brian and Colin, and several articles have also appeared.

https://youtu.be/OTgu5ElCsWE

We'd also be remiss if we didn't mention PAX West. While it was a little more low-key, George Ziets and Colin McComb both attended over this last weekend. There were yet more interviews and demos during that time – including one with Alienware you may be interested in, as it features some excellent narration from Colin.

And there'll be more to come! For example, Colin will be at EGX in Birmingham to present a Developer Session on Torment.

Both Gamescom and PAX have been inspiring experiences, and we are energized and even more motivated to get the game polished up and ready for you early next year!

With the game content complete, getting more polished every day, and well on its way to completion, we also thought it was a great time to start talking about some of our content that comes just after the beta portion of the game that many of you have been enjoying. And, with release not too far away, it also seemed like a good moment to commemorate those backers who helped make the game possible. So without further ado, here's Adam to talk about the Valley of Dead Heroes, and more specifically, the Necropolis.

Designing the Necropolis

Adam here. A little while ago, George told you how we are incorporating backer NPCs into our game. I want to tell you how we're including the largest quantity of backer content: tombs and epitaphs.

First, let me take you back to our Kickstarter planning sessions. We knew from the start we wanted a reward where higher-tier backers could include their name in the game somewhere. In a game about legacy, set in a world built on the bones of forgotten civilizations, it made perfect sense for that reward to be a tomb. We designed a massive gravesite for these tombs, called the Valley of Dead Heroes. In this place would be hundreds of tombs, memorializing heroes of the past and naturally raising the question: "What does one life matter?"

Like our backer NPCs, we wanted the tomb content to feel like a natural part of the world. We also wanted to encourage players to actually read the tombs – not all of them, but some of them at least. And ideally different players would search through different ones. It was a challenge, but one we were confident we could make great... until the Kickstarter broke records, and we found ourselves with nearly four thousand tombs and epitaphs that needed to be in our game somewhere.

As we began designing areas, we did the math. We originally planned for two scenes that would contain most of the tombs: the Valley of Dead Heroes and "Valley Part Two" which would be placed in another zone of the game. But even if we made those scenes enormous, cramming in as many tombs as we could fit on-screen while still giving the player space to walk, it would only take care of half of the required number. We also considered sprinkling the other tombstones throughout the game, but that would still require far too many tombstones to be placed in every single scene in the game. So our algorithm master and all-around guru Joby Bednar had the very Numenera idea of a massive underground storage space, now used in the Ninth World as a burial ground.

The rooms in this space would be accessed by a control panel: the user enters a code and is taken to a room in which lie a subset of our tomb/epitaph markers. Mechanically, the room would be a single Unity scene, but with the props, lighting, effects, etc. swapped out based on the code the player enters. It would take a lot of custom scripting, but it gave us the flexibility to handle all the backers we needed to feature. It was the perfect solution, and with some design constraints outlined, thus was born the Necropolis…

News Bits

Eric here to round things out with just a couple of additional news bits for you before we sign off! First, an important word for our backers: the end of September will be your last chance to pledge for or upgrade to physical Torment rewards. This includes boxed copies, add-ons and anything requiring shipping. With release not too far off we need to start locking down our final reward counts, so if you had been waiting to pledge, now is your last shot to get backer physical goodies. And on a similar note - if you haven't yet claimed your rewards or updated your shipping address, now is definitely the time!

And last, Techland has produced a fantastic trailer for the game introducing the world of Numenera to players."

https://youtu.be/R3Obg_hz_BM

You can read more about the update here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1674434
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It feels like this game has been in development for a decade. Obviously not, but man, this game needs to deliver.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Between this game and Divinity 2, 2017 can't come soon enough.
    Torment: Tides of Numerera got a big update about a week ago on Steam. Apparently they've changed a bunch of things. If you already own the game it might be worth checking out :) (though don't use old saves)
    edited November 2016
    A new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMnvmlA2jo

Also, DSOGaming has published 17 new screenshots of TToN. They look really good.
    Now, the trailer for the Glaive class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ62pIw9mv0
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Definitely prefer Nano.