Skip to content

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    God said:

Why does everyone always think we are involved in everything that happens on Earth? Next they'll say content was cut because they had to use their computer time trying to send a virus to an alien mothership...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

There's now a story trailer for Tides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVAMuk-CV18&t=15s
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364

There's now a story trailer for Tides:

Yes. Thank goodness. The last few trailers were, to put it kindly, underwhelming.

They felt more like a cheesy tourism advertisement for the Ninth World.
    Welcome to a billion years in the future! See exciting things! Meet new people! Enjoy your stay!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The TToN art team has answered some fan questions on Facebook:

Which critter or character in the game has the largest number of states/poses/animations?
    The player characters have the most animations since they are essentially "in every scene." And as you might expect for a game like Torment that is mostly populated with bipeds, there is a fair amount of sharing of animation across the cast of characters. The creature with the most animation under the hood is the Sorrow fragment. This many-tentacled quadruped had to not only navigate but engage in combat with multiple attacks.

@ Concept Artist: During your work were you closer to the writers, or Monte Cook?
    Monte Cook provided direct feedback for all aspects of the game, but for most of the day-to-day work the writers were our source for those critical details that were based on narrative or the lore of the Ninth World.

@ Storyboard Artists: Did you ever come up with any crazy angles or shots during conception that the director shut down in less than 2 seconds?
    On this project, there were not many opportunities for crazy angles, etc. because we use a camera that is fairly standard for RPGs. The one place where we could be more creative with composing shots was in our mere illustrations that are peppered throughout the game. In those cases, we avoided conflicts by having the same person play both roles, storyboard art AND director... problem solved.

How did you cooperate with Monte Cook Games to find the particular Numenera art style and make it fit into Torment?
    We frequently made our work-in-progress available to Monte Cook Games for review and feedback. From those exchanges we began to develop a visual vocabulary for what makes sense in the Ninth World. We were also constantly referencing several Monte Cook publications about the world of Numenera that helped to guide us about all aspects of the world of Numenera.

How has the team taken inspiration from real world cultures to develop the aesthetic of a world as conceptually far out as Numenera?
    Developing a game based on Numenera was extremely freeing and enriching, considering the rules we were working with. The nature of humanity one billion years from now meant that we would be looking at some combination of elements from just about any ancient and modern culture you could think of from the world we know, and then using that as a launching place to imagine technologies and customs no one had ever seen before.
    For one thing, we knew that it was important to depict humans as having evolved over the millennia to have fewer racially distinct features. We borrowed from a broad range of races and cultures to accomplish this. Alternatively, when it came to story or gameplay elements, we took the approach that anything that seemed too reminiscent of a culture or practice we'd heard of before would automatically pull us out of the ultra-futuristic tone of the Ninth World, so we made a special effort to avoid those familiar themes.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    One week to go.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    well now that the official specs are out i won't have to worry about running the game. if i can run pillers i'm sure my laptop can run torment.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Forbes has started to publish an interview with George Ziets, the Lead Area Designer for TToN.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/02/23/the-george-ziets-interview-part-1-writing-for-video-games-the-writers-job/#3fe4fdba44c4
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

well now that the official specs are out i won't have to worry about running the game. if i can run pillers i'm sure my laptop can run torment.

I broke down and purchased it tonight. The game actually runs very well from what I can tell, aside from the initial room that has alot of effects going on.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Comes out tomorrow :)
    And I pre-ordered it yesterday... after promising myself I wouldn't... *sigh* Someday I'll have the time to play all these games...
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Can't wait to get the full version...might have to wait an extra day to play. Just by chance, my mom bought herself a new laptop and asked if I wanted her old one (which is way more powerful than my current laptop). The early release version ran *ok* on my current setup, so should work really well on the new one, but won't have it until Wednesday.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Lots of reviews coming in. Check the overview here

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/torment-tides-of-numenera/critic-reviews
    I just installed the game and in less than 5 minutes it did something both PoE and Tyranny failed to do, It hooked me in the story and made me curious about my first companions. I hope it goes on this way :)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The very first thing I did after redeeming my backer key was downloading the OST and dropping it into my tablet. Then I installed the game while listening to the OST on my tablet. And then I kept listening to the OST while reading Overlord on my tablet.

I blame Mark Morgan for that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2017
    I just read some reviews in the internet that made me worry reporting that it's better to play a brutish glaive than any other class as combat always render more experience and better rewards than finding a peaceful/smart solution.

Well I will finish the game with my mystical nano who can read thoughts and has a talent with machines anyway, but it would be sad if violence is the better way to complete this game...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Is there a way to zoom in/out other than with a mouse wheel? I don't have a working one right now.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    mlnevese said:

I just read some reviews in the internet that made me worry reporting that it's better to play a brutish glaive than any other class as combat always render more experience and better rewards than finding a peaceful/smart solution.

i played yesterday a lot. i noticed this too
    however: there aren't a lot of battles and you get a lot of cyphers so you can win battles with a weak character too.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Anyone knows what this 'Backer Outfit Upgrade' is all about? The inxile backer portal currently only lists it for steam. So people who redeemed their keys over at GOG (like me) need to wait until they ship it over there. Thing is I can't remember something like this being ever mentioned on their kickstarter campaign page?
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2017
    I've been anticipating T:ToN pretty much every day since I first completed PS:T some 15 years ago. When the reviews started rolling in, I was a bit worried, especially after reading this angry piece, my worst fear being that the game was going to be another Pillars of Eternity - beautiful, lore-packed, but ultimately a pale reflection of its legendary predecessor.

Well, I'm about 10 hours into the game and so far my fears have proved unfounded. This game definitely does for me what PoE didn't: it captures my attention, and the more I play, the more captivated I become. In fact, I haven't been this into a game in a long, long time. Of course it is too early to call yet, but something tells me this T:ToN is going to be an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Sure, I can already tell that this game is not going to have the same colossal emotional impact as PS:T, but this was to be expected. I mean, if someone was to write a fantasy book and present it as the spiritual successor to The Lord of the Rings, you'd have to be a fool to completely buy into that promise.

Funnily enough, I find the basic premise of the plot closer to that of the Baldur's Gate saga. You're a hapless offspring of a callous Deity who seeks immortality and power through his children. Sounds familiar? Yeah, the Last Castoff is definitely more of a Charname than anything: not altogether devoid of personality, but less unique and more malleable than the enigmatic half-zombie that was The Nameless One. This doesn't bother me personally, but I can see it coming as an anticlimactic surprise to someone expecting a very established main character.

• drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    4 years from campaign to release, looking forward to playing this one!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I promised myself I would actually wait until the first patch this time. I raced through both WL2 and PoE in the first 72 hours after release - and I feel like I really missed out on some things because of some bugs - though I thoroughly enjoyed myself both times, I always had more fun on run #2 that came a few weeks down the road.

Plus it makes me too ignorant to participate in the first few weeks of discussion about the game which is a nice time saver lol.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

Anyone knows what this 'Backer Outfit Upgrade' is all about? The inxile backer portal currently only lists it for steam. So people who redeemed their keys over at GOG (like me) need to wait until they ship it over there. Thing is I can't remember something like this being ever mentioned on their kickstarter campaign page?

Yeah I wonder about this myself. GoG is my chosen platform and I switched to it from Steam. But Backer Outfit Upgrade is only available for Steam. Anyone heard something that it will be possible to redeem it for GoG?
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the plug! I was a lil' critical because these Unity-based RPGs haven't really been blowing my hair back.

EDIT - here is a link with better formatting.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    just a heads up - I've found so far 2 oddities that can be interacted with. look at descriptions.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    bob_veng said:

just a heads up - I've found so far 2 oddities that can be interacted with. look at descriptions.

Trying to not spoil anything, but did you find any use for a certain oddity which could be worn like an eye patch?