Skip to content

Wasteland 2 thread

AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
I thought the infinity engine fans might have an interest for this game. It was released just now and I just bought it - Ill start playing now. I have purposely avoided looking at LPs and similar, I will use a lot of time getting to know the game in the start and report back some impressions soon.

Please post your expectations and impressions of the game too :)

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I'm pretty impressed with what they have accomplished. It's been a good CRPG year so far. First D:OS, and now W2 that so far seems even better!
  • SergeTroySergeTroy Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2014
    I just got the notice via my Steam account and I have to say, first week of October, this game is mine. I really do think my computer's fairly top notch despite not having water cooling (doable just no real concern as yet) or a 4GB Vram video card) but the games I see come out are more made to be played 2 - 4 years later following patches, mods, and tweaks out the you-know-what. Going back to this kind of isometric, but beautified graphics approach is most definitely a draw. I would have been 8 when Wasteland itself came out, never played the original Fallout Game, but man this game is my chance to soak up some nostalgia that comes from great games built for gamers. (no knocks on BGEE experience, just waiting for some bug fixes for certain character styles and overall quest/story).

Not sure about the $20 increase for the deluxe edition, but I have to say the music is a nice variation from the Fallout 3 atmosphere. Looking forward.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Well, I knew that if I run the bloody game I may have problems with other stuff:)

So far so good, not as strong feelings as with Fallout 2 when I played it 15 years ago, but it looks decent:)

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Just bought the Deluxe edition. Now downloading. No more BG modding for me for a while.
    Cahir said:

Well, I knew that if I run the bloody game I may have problems with other stuff:)

So far so good, not as strong feelings as with Fallout 2 when I played it 15 years ago, but it looks decent:)

@Cahir‌ - Hard to recapture that kind of feeling.

@CoM_Solaufein - Let us know how you like the game, & that edition, me especially. I want to support the game but I'm not really interested in paying $20 extra purely for some novellas, as I have a poor experience with game related stories on the average.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I've had my eye on Wasteland 2 for a while. I'll definitely buy it when Steam has a sale.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2014
    It actually looks like it's possible to get the game much cheaper by buying it through the Torment: Tides of Numenera site. You can make a pledge, and one of the pledge rewards is a digital copy of Wasteland 2 for 2500 "points" (which I think is $25), compared to the $40 on Steam.

Edit: see my post below for a little more detail on how to do this.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Okay, Ive played a few hours in now and I am very impressed! Like @Messi I thought Divinity: Original Sin was okay, but a bit too cartoonish - this is far better. I have already been forced to make a siginificant choice which has had dire consequences (and I whish I could cheat haha). The combat is fun and not too repetative so far. There is also quite a few interesting puzzles to figure out.
    Also, playing the game blindly without a lot of prepartion and optimization and reloads seems to work very well so far - which means that Im a hvaing a lot of fun with the well-written story (I am not a very good gamer). I prefer real time with pause, but the turn based combat is working well so far, It might become a bit repetative if there isnt any big changes, but I assume with new gear and skills it will keep fresh.
    Can't play it since it crashes on start up.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Oh no @CoM_Solaufein‌ :(
    Do they have a technical support forum? What computer do you have?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    So it is finished then? I've been keeping my eye on this one for awhile now, but I wasn't really interested in the pre-release version. It's definitely on my list though, it looks rather interesting. Another one I want to get my hands on is Pillars of Eternity.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Looks pretty cool.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I backed it sometime ago. Just picked up from GoG. I may give it a go this weekend. Looks very interesting.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    TJ_Hooker said:

It actually looks like it's possible to get the game much cheaper by buying it through the Torment: Tides of Numenera site. You can make a pledge, and one of the pledge rewards is a digital copy of Wasteland 2 for 2500 "points" (which I think is $25), compared to the $40 on Steam.

Unless I'm missing something the Torment and Wasteland 2 Bundle thing is $65.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I have been waiting for this game to drop for over 2 years now--I pledged when the Kickstarter launched. I played around with the beta some but then work got hectic and I had to stop. Ironically, I haven't downloaded the now-released game yet but I know what I am doing tomorrow.
    edited September 2014
    Seeing all of the bugs on their forums, I'm not even going to bother playing it until they fix a lot of these problems, especially the one I posted above.

When I spend $60 on a game, when I click on the play button on Steam, it better damn well play. And I thought New Vegas was a buggy POS on first launch.

Guess I'll sit here and listen to the soundtrack and read the e-books.
    edited September 2014

TJ_Hooker said:

Unless I'm missing something the Torment and Wasteland 2 Bundle thing is $65.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge
    If you login, you can then go to "Pledges" and click "Pledge any amount". I believe this credits your account with whatever amount you pledge. You can then click on "Rewards" and select a digital copy of wasteland 2.

Edit: I should probably mention that I have not actually done this myself (I donated an extra $20 for a copy of Wasteland 2 back during the original T:ToN Kickstarter). But it seems like it would work.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Now I got it to work. Why I should be looking for a game installed font and deleting it in order to play a $60 game is beyond me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @typo_tilly‌ you may want to check again. The Wasteland 2 option is available in the T:ToN rewards system. That's how I got my copy anyways.
    Glad I didn't donate. When I spend a decent amount of money, I expect it to work when I click on that Start/Play button, not me tinkering around with removing files or doing some other modifications. See they have Direct 11 problems but I haven't got that... yet.

Now that I'm playing, I like the music, very Falloutish, depressing as it should be considering the setting. I'm not that far so I can't go too much into game play, quests, etc. A lot of character creation options. I wish I devoted more time with the manual, I would have developed my first party a little better. But I'll deal with what I have.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Why I should be looking for a game installed font and deleting it in order to play a $60 game is beyond me.

I had a look at their technical support forum, and that font is not installed by the game. It's one of the default Microsoft fonts that Windows installs.

If I'd had money to donate and an idea of what the game would look like, I'd have donated. I'll admit the bugs upon bugs is always an extreme irritation, but it's not like this is the exact copy of a game that was released 15 years ago with most of the major work having already been done by a talented modding community. Looking at the regular standard for triple a games, I wasn't really able to play Fallout 3 until 3 years post release. Let's look at Wasteland 2 in three months and see where it stands than. Right now the biggest issue mentioned has been a font installed by a different program? 'Nuff said.
    Game over, man, game over!
    @ CoM_Solaufein: Awkward :P. Makes you feel better, I'm looking forward to picking this up Monday after next, and you'll still be getting new screenshot-memories. Don't forget to pass down tips and your favorite builds and archetypes. Have to be honest, I feel cheated the closest I can come to this is a fully Modded FO3 (Vegas is lame).
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Glad I didn't donate. When I spend a decent amount of money, I expect it to work when I click on that Start/Play button, not me tinkering around with removing files or doing some other modifications. See they have Direct 11 problems but I haven't got that... yet.

Now that I'm playing, I like the music, very Falloutish, depressing as it should be considering the setting. I'm not that far so I can't go too much into game play, quests, etc. A lot of character creation options. I wish I devoted more time with the manual, I would have developed my first party a little better. But I'll deal with what I have.

To be fair, even Civ 5 had a similar startup issue caused by odd files cropping up recently, and that's a full-on anticipated title rather than a crowdfunded deal. Bugs happen.