Skip to content

What is better, mage or soccerer?

Well what is better/stronger over all a mage or sorcerer? And if a mage what kind and class?

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Well, to start with.

GO GNOME!

I think the fighter / illusionist is a serious contender.

However the sorcerer argument only wins if you think there are redundant spells that a mage should never under any circumstances put in his/her spellbook.

Infravision is the only one, I think is totally redundant. All other spells have a use.

Then again. Some spells should be used all the time... Baeloth for instance spams out sleep and glitterdust and skulltrap on a regular basis and hardly nothing else.

Hmmm... This will cause further discussion.

But, I'm still right in saying GNOME!
    JLeerufus_hobartJuliusBorisov
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    The one answer that I think most everyone can agree on. If you know what the spells are and what they're capable of and when to use them: Sorcerer

If you know what you are doing, but don't know every spell and fight, especially the HLAs and 9th levels: Conjurer

New mage or don't like restrictive spell choice: regular Mage

Everything else from other people really comes down to nitpicking and small details. Good luck!
    JLeeNonnahswriterrufus_hobartAnduin
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    "What is better, mage or soccerer?"

Depends on whether you prefer studying or playing sports.
    FinneousPJMoomintrollBelgarathMTHNimran
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited September 2014
    Sorcerers are soooo nice. For me it is a win-win. I find there are only a few spells of each level that are truly necessary. You lose the micromanagement of the mages and become so much more flexible. The way sorcerers handle HLAs is very nice also.

However these arguments are less about power and more about convenience. Wild Mages have to be in the power discussion for sure. Let's face it, if you are a mage and you are high level, you are going to be powerful :)
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    edited September 2014
    JLee said:

Wild Mages have to be in the power discussion for sure. Let's face it, if you are a mage and you are high level, you are going to be powerful :)

Very true, I forgot about the Wild Mage. Mainly because I don't use them (well except for Neera through a BG1 playthrough).

They are very powerful from what I've read and obviously if we can quote a Spider-Man film, "With great power comes great responsibility". The wild mage can be a very big asset, or a very big liability at a moments notice. Say if you've got that Sarevok fight in the bag, well, not with that new Gate spell cast by accident...

If you don't EVER want the chance of having the major liability issue come up, skip the Wild Mage. If you don't mind the occasional reload from a Fireball centered on the caster, use em.

So I guess in conclusion it'd probably be:
    1. Sorcerer
    2. Wild Mage*
    3. Conjurer
    4. Regular Mage

*Results may vary.
    JLee