Skip to content

RPGAMER Interview: Trent Oster Discusses IWDEE and IWD2EE

kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• TRoarTRoar Member Posts: 50
    In regards to BG3... I hope beamdog get on the 'create your own IP' bandwagon and do an original game with an interesting and different world. Maybe do an inXile and lease the PoE engine then modify as required.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    JS: Do you plan to follow this up with Icewind Dale II: EE?
    TO: If Icewind Dale is a brother or sister to the Baldur's Gate games in terms of code and gameplay differences, Icewind Dale II and Planescape: Torment are more like third cousins. You can see the lineage, but the changes are deep. At this point we haven't gone spelunking too deep into those changes, but we are aware of many differences which will drive up the effort to do our thing on those projects. We hope to do more spleunking once we finish up with the 1.3 Updates for Baldur's Gate: EE and Baldur's Gate II: EE and ship Icewind Dale: EE.

JS: Without getting too technical, what is the nature of differences between Icewind Dale II and Icewind Dale? Any specific examples of challenges that have to be overcome?
    TO: Icewind Dale II implemented the 3rd Edition rules and has a completely different UI scheme. We're really not sure how deep those changes run. The move to 3rd Edition rules would invalidate all the character classes and require a pretty thorough rework of the entire game to bring in the features from our Infinity Plus Engine. At minimum, nightmares abound.
    Yay, for hope, false though it may be.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited October 2014
    Oops, it's RPGamer, not RPGFan. Well, there's an RPG in the title anyway. Close enough?

Edit: thanks for the fix bengoshi!
    Post edited by kcwise on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Neat link :)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for launch to find out the couple new kits.

I also like the mention of how hard the game is and how some of the new stuff will make life easier.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    ... are we sure the "new kits" thing isn't being misquoted or misunderstood? I'd love for it to be accurate but I imagine people will be quick to line up and throw rocks at poor Trent if that statement didn't come out quite like it should have.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    It's pretty clear that Icewind Dale 2 will happen at some point, it's just a matter of time.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Well, "We've added all the classes and kits from Baldur's Gate II: EE (as well as a couple of new ones), and over 150 new spells and class abilities to improve the game." speaks volumes :)
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Dee said:

There are a couple of new kits that are truly new, yes.

Any chance at a hint or teaser regarding the new kits prior to launch?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Probably not a Shaman, Totemic Berserker, or Witch Doctor. Those would be silly!
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2014
    @Dee Is there any chance that you would add all the magic items from Baldur's Gate to Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition? Like Blackrazor, Crom Fayer and Carsomyr?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2014
    ^why would they do that? how did all those artifacts find their way to distant land?
    ---
    Dee said:

There are a couple of new kits that are truly new, yes.

sweet. add them to baldur's gates too right away, especially since bg2:ee is getting a new patch.
  • Scottfree9000Scottfree9000 Member Posts: 18
    Man! I hope the blackrazor is one of those magical items.
    I never got the chance to use it.
    edited October 2014
    bob_veng said:

^why would they do that? how did all those artifacts find their way to distant land?

Hammer of Thunderbolts, Holy Avenger and almost every single magic item you find in Baldur's Gate are iconic magic items from Dungeons & Dragons. They are not exclusive of BG's story.

Also, from what I've researched in Mikesrpgcenter.com, the list of magic items from IWD seems to be very poor compared to BG's...
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Mikesrpgcenter doesn't include items added in HoW, from what I know... That expansion added a bit of extra items. I sure had a lot of stuff to use/sell when I got to HoW even.
    Spungi said:

Mikesrpgcenter doesn't include items added in HoW, from what I know... That expansion added a bit of extra items. I sure had a lot of stuff to use/sell when I got to HoW even.

If that is the case, it should be much better than what I've thought.

Then that also rules out Poopdoctor, Insurance Salesman, and 3 children in an overcoat.

Never say never yo those that brought us Wilson. ;)

All the BG1 items were in IWD, just not implemented. You could theoretically use your BG1 character in IWD (go to hell, timeline!), complete with items if you used Dalekeeper. Then again, IWD had better loots by far!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Vitor said:

If that is the case, it should be much better than what I've thought.

yeah there's plenty of items with HoW and a lot more will be added with EE so it's going to be fine.
    you're right about *some* items being well known d&d relics, but certainly not *almost all*

Well, Blackrazor, Crom Faery, Carsomyr, and many others are fairly canon to FR, beyond just Baldur's Gate.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    I want some surprises @Dee don't tell ;)
    They're finally implementing the Diviner (navel gazer) kit the Bum Gazer, huh? That kit is great for pulling ridiculous things out, and proctologists have really been really hurting for RP options in CRPGs. Clearly not a crappy idea!