Skip to content

RPGAMER Interview: Trent Oster Discusses IWDEE and IWD2EE

2»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Erm... @TrentOster‌ maybe?

*sneaks away from distracted wombat*
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I've watched the trailer again in a hope to find those "other secrets"... Predictable, there're none:)

But I've paid attention to the UI - some can say they like the vanilla one more - but it's still certain the new one looks as if the hard work has been put into it. And then I've re-read this:

"With the user interface it was a complete re-paint. We were able to bring in a talented friend in the person of Lee Nielsen who re-built every single pixel in the Icewind Dale UI, and it looks great."

It's good Beamdog has managed to do that :)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    bengoshi said:

"With the user interface it was a complete re-paint. We were able to bring in a talented friend in the person of Lee Nielsen who re-built every single pixel in the Icewind Dale UI, and it looks great."

It's good Beamdog has managed to do that :)

I do wonder if they could do that to BG1EE it looks so much better, I bet it will be improvement.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2014
    So, from the interview found here:
    http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html

It looks like Beamdog have the IWD2 source code, are looking into updating it, but there is more work to do since less code is shared with the BG:EE/BG2:EE/IWD:EE codebase. Which I understand (being a programmer).

I for one am definitely going to buy IWD:EE. I own it but have never played it (just a little too old for me!). Very excited to play IWD with basically BG2's ruleset!

However, I am much more excited about the possibility of IWD2:EE because of its 3E rules. I know I am not the only one. And that got me to thinking - perhaps if we got a show of hands of who would buy IWD2:EE, then perhaps it would be easier to convince the higher ups to invest the time and money into updating it.

I'm sure it is no trivial task and I'm sure that the engine is quite different. But please please look into this Beamdog, it would be awesome. It actually doesn't need much work I don't think, not as much as IWD:EE or BG:EE did. Maybe some graphical fixes so that it plays nicely with current hardware, some slowdown fixes for certain fights that always run very slowly (The Guardian fight, namely), and maybe one or two more feats for a bit of variety. Maybe not even extra feats. Just the graphical and slowdown fixes would be enough for me to plonk down my $20 without a second thought.

Besides, it leads to more chances of similar awesome adventure RPG games which I know we all love.

EDIT: Right, I see what happened. A mod merged my new thread into this thread as a comment. I thought I might have clicked preview instead of post, so I created it again.

Mods, up to you. Merge the threads/don't merge the threads, completely up to you. I just had no idea what happened to my thread!
    Post edited by Ancalagon44 on
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited October 2014
    @Ancalagon44 You might want to create a new poll thread asking the question: Would you buy IWD2EE?

Edit: Nevermind, the other thread is like that, sans poll
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i'm pretty sure that it's not much of an open question that they'll make it since they're doing the first. the sequel was actually the more popular of the two, right?
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited October 2014
    Here's an interesting article from GameBanshee from a few years ago on the subject of the Icewind Dale games. In regard to sales:
    Icewind Dale II failed to garner the same sales or long-term fanbase of the first game, nor the modding community support of Baldur's Gate, much less the first Icewind Dale. Though all in all a good game, it was, in a way, the victim of its time period, its outdated technology and the larger financial problems at Interplay. One distinctly gets the sense that it could have been so much more, given a greater opportunity.
    What information the editorial is based upon I can't say, but it is an interesting read.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    huh... didn't know that. in the past years i've always seemed to notice people talking more about iwd2 than 1.
  • CodifierCodifier Member Posts: 4
    bob_veng said:

huh... didn't know that. in the past years i've always seemed to notice people talking more about iwd2 than 1.

Likely due to the fact that IWD II was the last of the Infinity Engine games and the only one to feature 3rd Edition D&D rules. I found both equally good and look forward to playing the enhanced editions of both just as much as the BG 1&2 editions.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    TRoar said:

Maybe do an inXile and lease the PoE engine then modify as required.

I personally hope this doesn't happen. I like PoE, but it is a very different game. I'd hate to feel that the "Next BG Game" was a Diabloesque action game. I much prefer the more turn based style strategy that you get with infinity.

Now, if they were to take the defunked ToEE engine and turn it to a next BG game? That would be coolness incarnate.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I thought the ToEE engine was pretty good. I think the game suffered from being a too faithful adaptation of a very early PnP module, before people had thought "plot" was a nice thing to have in a game of DnD.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    kcwise said:
    A really informative interwiew. I liked that Trent emphasized some BG members, complimented their works, and highlighted their names (Laszlo Toth O.o). He piqued my interest for IWD EE :)