Skip to content

Dealing with magic users...

So, in my 60 hours accumulated so far on this game (spread across two incomplete playthroughs), I've found that I'm dreadfully afraid of enemy magic users. When I hear the chanting and see the pulsing energy building up in the caster's hands, sheer trepidation fills my heart.

So, my questions to you all are as follows:

1) What are some good general tactics for dealing with magic users?

2) I know one rule of thumb is to interrupt their incantation, but the only method I know of which can do this is the Wand of Magic Missiles. So what are some other methods?

Forgive me. I'm quite honestly terrible at this game, not to mention I have the knowledge of a beginning-to-mid-level player (which may or may not be saying a lot since there's a lot to learn in this game).

Thanks, guys.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Silence is very handy in BGEE for use against casters (though it isn't very useful in BG2EE).
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    What's your party composition, level, and trouble battles so we can give more specific advice rather than general idioms?
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    meagloth said:

What's your party composition, level, and trouble battles so we can give more specific advice rather than general idioms?

The OP is asking for general tactics.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @JLee already mentioned it, but I want to reiterate just how important Resist Fear is. Enemy mages LOVE to throw Horror at you. It is absolutely devastating if your party takes the full blast of it... but a single Resist Fear, a low level Cleric/Mage spell, can completely protect your whole party for 2 hours!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2014
    Heh, if regular bg 1 mages make you afraid, I would like to see you battling bg2 elite mage enemies with scs installed. They are the real horror show! :-)

Anyway, for regular mages, use summons, distraction, potions, tactical kits, becoming untargetable, and insect plague.

Summons are useful as even a lowly kobold summoned by monster summoning 1 will eat up a spell from an enemy mage. That's one lightning bolt or chaos not targeted at you.

Distraction is cheesy but useful:when a mage is casting something leave the area, use a door to enter/exit a building and they will waste the spell. Or...

Go invisible with a potion. (Or ring) potions are the bane of enemy spell casters, you can get total immunity to their tricks via potions. Fire resistance and lightning resistance (potion of absorption gives lightning immunity) are great against occasional fireball/lightning bolt. With ring of fire resistance and boots of grounding you should not be afraid of those elements. Potion of magic shielding/protection/immunity make any mage fight a walk in the park. Note that the enemy mage can dispel your potion buffs, but regular mages don't use dispel magic that often, IIRC, and you can bait them to use their dispel on something else when they do.

Always have a clear aura and a tactical kit that has different sets of potions and items when you face a mage. See a lightning bolt coming, quickly gulp a potion of absorbtion/insulation and equip your boots of grounding. See a chaos, gulp a potion of clarity (total immunity vs enchantment stuff) or a potion of invulnerability (save bonuses help to save vs the spell) or potion of magic shielding/protection. Use dispelling arrow ONCE if they have too heavy buffs and then go with arrows/bolts of biting or darts of wounding: the poison damage will shut them off. Go invisible when things get too hairy. Heal up with potions if they spam magic missiles, or use shield amulet. (Haven't checked if the shield amulet protects against magic missile, on theory it should.) spam them with monster summoning wand and let them waste their spells on lowly critters. Take a pot shot with wand of paralysation when you can, it can end the battle instantly. Use Dorn's or an assasin/blackguard pc's poison weapon ability, mages are weak in save vs death category, they will succumb to the poison fast.

To Become untargetable, you should have improved invisibility active, enemies won't be able to target you with spells. And for the truly deadly mage battle use up a scroll of protection from magic:no spell can touch you.

Insect plague: if you have a character that can cast this spell (Faldorn or pc druid maybe?) all mage battles are super easy. This spell wrecks mages. You don't need to target the mage, if he is improved invisible, casting this spell on a target near the mage (you can cast it on a friendly target, even!) will cause the bugs to spread to the mage and that will be the end of his spell casting days.
    Post edited by lunar on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    To quote Steven Brust - “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”

Have your thief scout ahead of the group. Once you see an enemy party, you should be able to identify the Wizard of the group by the robes. Have your thief sneak behind the wizard and lurk there until you are ready to attack. Then have the thief open combat by Back-stabing the wizard. If that doesn't take him out outright, it will at least give him something to think about. Poison also helps. If your thief happens to be an assassin, or has the poison dagger, all the better.

If you have at least one archer as well, have them focus on the wizard while your fighters close ranks. One of the archers in BG1 can make poison arrows, so there you go. And Melf's Acid arrow also works in this manner.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

In BG2, 2 mages with dispellings... then 4 people with bows. :) You may have to do 2 sets if dispelling, because when enemy mages get low on hp, they often get instant defences back (eg. stoneskin).

The effectiveness of Dispel depends greatly on your party members because the % success of an attempt to Dispel depends on the level of the caster. Thus if you got multi-class casters like in my party of F/M Charname, Aerie and Jaheira, Dispel is nearly useless. Dual-class casters like Anomen and Imoen are a little better, Pure-class mages like Edwin and Neera better still. But really Dispel is only really very reliable for Bards and Inquisitors.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited October 2014
    Nobody mentioned Laroch's Minor Drain, as a low level tool with no save and a guaranteed hit/interrupt. Similar to Magic Missile. Slightly less damage than a beginner MM, but buffs the caster a little.

Also, Command and Magic Stone can be effective, no saving throw, interrupts for a divine caster. Indeed, this may be the only worthwhile use for Magic Stone {grin}.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Also, Command and Magic Stone can be effective, no saving throw, interrupts for a divine caster. Indeed, this may be the only worthwhile use for Magic Stone {grin}.

I am a HUGE believer in Command these days. After seeing Viconia use it to deadly effect against a certain flaming fist, I make sure I grab several of these for any cleric. Talk about a great way to disable an opponent long enough to get a meleer up close and personal?
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Very good advice here, but no one mentioned arrows of biting. Very common poisoning arrows in bg1.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Nobody mentioned Laroch's Minor Drain, as a low level tool with no save and a guaranteed hit/interrupt. Similar to Magic Missile. Slightly less damage than a beginner MM, but buffs the caster a little.

Magic Stone in Icewind Dale is actually pretty solid. Baldur's Gate, however...
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2014
    That last post covered almost everything I had thought to say.
    Silence is a great blunt tool: one casting can put several casters out of action. And it's worth remembering that your enemies can't cast spells if they're caught in a web or entangle spell or unconscious from the sometimes neglected stinking cloud.
    PS: And don't worry about playing for 60 hours and still having trouble with things: it took me (and I'm sure many others posting here) several false starts and a long time to finish the game for the first time. It is a difficult, challenging game, which is what makes it so satisfying when you do get there. And, as this thread shows, there are usually several ways round any obstacle. It's when you finish and immediately start thinking "hmm, I wonder what it would be like with an evil party, or maybe a druid PC" that you need to really worry.
    Post edited by GKL206 on
  • A lot of the good strategies have been covered already, but I'll just add that if you can cancel illusions somehow (e.g. Detect Illusion spell, thief skill, or a Priest of Helm/Inquisitor with True Sight) that can really help. Mirror Image is as good as a stoneskin when your party still has trouble hitting even a mage's poor AC. Tarnesh and Silke both get a lot easier to handle if you can knock out their images somehow.
  • QueenQuinzelQueenQuinzel Member Posts: 44
    Wow, this is a tremendous amount of information. I'm not sure I'll be able to properly absorb all of it. I'll try my best, though. I could use some of these tips to get through my first Sirene encounter.

So thank you, everyone! :)
    edited October 2014
    The best way I've found to deal with Sirenes, is to make sure that everyone is a shooter, and ease up to where the first one is just in range. Then rain arrows and stones on her til dead - they don't have any great armor, and their preferred spells are not among the quickest. With ~9-10 arrows and a couple of bullets beating her vicinity, SOME of them will hit and interrupt.

Ease forward again and repeat.
  • Failing that, you could make the trek up to Ulgoth's Beard and pick up the Greenstone Amulet, which can be used to provide temporary immunity to all the nasty mind-affecting tricks sirenes pull. One person with the Amulet to get up close to draw all the spells and force them into melee, where they're really not dangerous if you can't be confused/feebleminded, is usually enough for me.
    There are also those potions of Clarity you have been hauling, around sense Candlekeep in one case.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

So, in my 60 hours accumulated so far on this game (spread across two incomplete playthroughs), I've found that I'm dreadfully afraid of enemy magic users. When I hear the chanting and see the pulsing energy building up in the caster's hands, sheer trepidation fills my heart.

So, my questions to you all are as follows:

1) What are some good general tactics for dealing with magic users?

2) I know one rule of thumb is to interrupt their incantation, but the only method I know of which can do this is the Wand of Magic Missiles. So what are some other methods?

Forgive me. I'm quite honestly terrible at this game, not to mention I have the knowledge of a beginning-to-mid-level player (which may or may not be saying a lot since there's a lot to learn in this game).

Thanks, guys.

The best way to take out spell casters in BG is with poison.

1. Dorn, his poison effect kicks in even when they have Mirror Images up. His drain ability is also a fast casting interupt.

2. Thief. You need to be invisible (spell, potion, scroll, etc). Go into detect mode, disarm any traps (that action does not reveal you-although it should IMO). Stand near mages who have defenses up (they are many). Your detect illusion skill will eventually break their defenses (this action wont reveal you either). Considering the duration of invisability (24hrs) you don't need many skill points devited to DI. 20% chance per round wont take long, and you might even get by with 10% or 5% if you have the patience for that. With their defenses down, break out the dagger of venom, enjoy a nice +4 bonus to hit via backstab, and back him up with a barrage of poison arrows and darts.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

Here're some tips from me:

1. The first and foremost action you have to take is to scout ahead with an invisible character. It can be a thief or a ranger who has hid in shadows, or any other character who is invisible due to a spell/potion. As soon as your scout sees a group a of enemies, you get an immediate advantage - you see them and they don't see you. Later in the game you'll find a cloak of non-detection: with this cloak even those enemies who can dispel illusuions won't be able to detect you. This tactics works especially good when you face a group of enemies including spellcasters. You can safely prepare for any encounter if you know where your enemies are.

2. Try to immobilise an enemy spellcaster before he sees you and begin his casting. The Web spell, Emotion: Hopeless, Chaos work wonders when you throw them from the safe distance next to the place an enemy is located. The range of these spells will provide your success.

3. Several AOE spells that inflict damage can also serve you. When you detect a group of enemies including casters, throw several spells simultaneously: your mage can cast a fireball/skull trap, your cleric can cast the Holy Smite, your bard can use a wand of fire. Kill them before they become active! Later you'll be able to use the Cloudkill spell.

4. If an enemy mage has protections and you're already involved into an open fight, act fast. A one algorithm can help in nearly every situation:

A) Cast the Detect Illusion spell (your wizards have it at the second spell level, your clerics and druids - at the third spell level. Your thieves can use the Detect Illusion ability (the same icon for Find Traps). You should take off the Illusion spells first - spells like Mirror Image, Blur, Invisibility are quite nasty when they prevent you hitting an enemy.

B) Cast Dispel Magic or Remove magic on an enemy so that such spells like Stoneskin, Shield, Armor are removed. Note that the Dispel Magic spell can dispel your own buffs as well, so don't cast it near your characters.

C) Cast Spell Thrust if an enemy has used magic protection spells.

5. Any poison (Assassin's and Blackguard's special abilies, Dagger of Venom, Poison Arrows, Darts of Wounding) goes through Stoneskin and Mirror Image. Even if you can't inflict a straight damage with your hits, it's much more important an enemy starts to get a constant poison damage preventing him from casting.

Use the Doom spell and later Greater Malison to lower enemy's saving throws so that your poison succeeds.

6. In order to interrupt the enemy spellcasting, use spells that can be casted quickly. Magic Missiles, Chromatic orb, Larloch's Minor Drain, Command. A good archer can use a bow or a dart.

7. Don't forget about your own buffs. Protection from Horror, Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Free action, Shield. Try to up your saving throws. Don't forget about a Charm protection helmet. You can and should use potions - don't simply collect them, use them in any mage fights.

Later you'll get the Greenstone amulet - a single item to make any mage fight trivial.

8. Later in the game always use a wand of paralyzation and darts of stunning - a stunned mage is a dead mage.

Cheers!