Skip to content

Future potential projects: IWD2:EE, PS:T:EE & BG3 - your opinion

bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
i post this thread in response to trent oster's interview http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html - pls read it first, there the problematic nature of making IWD2:EE and PS:T:EE is brought up

In my opinion Beamdog should make all three games in the following order:
1. develop the 'Infinity Plus Engine, 3E' for IWD2:EE and release it first
2. completely remake PS:T in this new engine (yes, with 3E rules)
3. make BG3 in the same 3E engine

My reasoning for the above:
1. you'll have to do step 1 if you ever want to get IWD2:EE out >>> no other way around it
2. 2E in Torment doesn't work: the ruleset is unnecessarily complicated since the tactical aspect of the game is very straightforward >>> 3E is more straightforward and would suit the game much better (so the engine developed for IWDII:EE should be used)
3. 3E is better than 2E overall and interesting features presented in IWD2 are unused there and in IE games in general >>> making BG3 in 3E instead of 2.5E would make it a better and fresher game

THE ACTUAL POLL QUESTION: What should be the general course of further development and should Beamdog use (the hypothetical) 'Infinity Plus Engine, 3E' in any subsequent projects? (the poll options suggest the answer to this as well)
Simple english - what should beamdog make in the future?

***however*** the questions of whether and how they should make IWDII:EE and the order in which the games should be made/released is not included, because it is a less contentious of an issue i suppose.
  1. Future potential projects: IWD2:EE, PS:T:EE & BG3 - your opinion91 votes
    1. make both PS:T and BG3 in 2.xE
      28.57%
    2. make PS:T in 2.xE, BG3 in 3.xE
        7.69%
    3. make PS:T in 3.xE, BG3 in 2.xE
        2.20%
    4. make both PS:T and BG3 in 3.xE (even if you disagree with my reasoning)
        4.40%
    5. make PS:T in 2.xE, BG3 in 5E (or any future current edition)
      14.29%
    6. make PS:T in 3.xE, BG3 in 5E (or any future current edition)
        4.40%
    7. make both PS:T and BG3 in 5E (or any future current edition)
        4.40%
    8. beamdog shouldn't make BG3/PS:T:EE/both
      14.29%
    9. *none of the above* (ditch d&d altogether, make a completely separate game etc.)
        6.59%
    10. *i disagree with how the poll is conducted* / *i don't understand the question/answers*
      13.19%
Post edited by bob_veng on

Comments

• RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Your reasoning is sound.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I would like to add the word "yet" to my vote though since there is a huge BUT in your argument: What does Wotc want?

3rd edition is now considered outdated and changing any previously released games rule set would be to the latest version.

And even though PS:T has a cult following, it does have the same name recognition as Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. Throwing resourses at it may not be financially plausable at this time he way Trent is sounding.

A new campaign would be desirable IMO that is not BG3. A good proportion of the trilogy fan base isn't convinced Overhaul can create a compelling sequel to the game. Getting BG3 wrong would be the end of the company. Allowing them to do a separate full campaign or two will allow them to hone their craft to perfection before attempting BG3.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    deltago said:

3rd edition is now considered outdated and changing any previously released games rule set would be to the latest version.

this might be true but i sure hope it isn't. maybe they could cut a deal with wtc and explain that these are vintage games after all not new products and that they don't have to be up to date.

• OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I'm most familiar with 3.5 and as much as I would love to see both games in a system I have a great understanding of I must agree with @deltago‌, Planescape just isn't popular enough to warrant a massive money and time investment that is necessary to completely change or re-make it in a new engine. Heck, the only thing I knew about Planescape before the BGEE forums was that absolutely kickass trailer that they put into the original BG as a teaser. I have sense learned about it and would love to have it updated for more modern systems but I can't possibly see a full re-release of it being profitable in any way imaginable.
    As for BG3 being in 5e. I say this because I have done some testing in 5e and it feels like WotC returned to their 2e roots with it. I think that BG3 would carry the thematic feel of the original BGs in 5e as well as possibly attract a few newcomer 5e players. But the biggest audience they have is here and not everyone in the forums is on board with a BG3 game in the first place. I can't imagine it selling nearly as well as the BG:EEs or IWD:EE so again it might not be profitable at all.
    Personally, I would eat Planescape EE up in a moment.
    ^ i actually think that's a very good idea, on par with making BG3.

(you picked a wrong answer in the poll btw :))
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Voted
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    IWDEETHREE!
    edited October 2014
    @ all those who voted IWD3
    do you think that before making IWD3, Beamdog should release IWD2:EE and then make IWD3 in that engine or do you have something else in mind?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I think it's most reasonable, and likely, for them to make PT:EE and not do ID2:EE. And, this will surprise people, I think they shouldn't make a Baldur's Gate III.

Torment, while having a slightly different version of Infinity, still shares most of its ruleset with Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. It shouldn't be the world's biggest hurdle converting that to... is it Infinity Plus they're calling it?

Icewind Dale 2 shouldn't revert to AD&D rules as that's -changing- the game rather than enhancing it (and that also goes for Torment). Also we'd probably lose the wonderful sub-races, wilderness lore and conversations based on conversation skills. That leaves reworking an allready heavily reworked Infinity Engine (as suggested) and frankly it's probably more effort than what it's worth. The reason it worked for the Baldur's Gates is that they were sure to sell at least decently merely by being Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale 2 has never had enough popularity, far as I can tell, to think it would be viable there too.

As for Baldur's Gate III... it's no secret that getting to work with the old rulesets and settings is pretty much impossible. The license holders hates that for some mysterious reason. So a Baldur's Gate III will have to use the stupid 4th edition rules and setting. Of course my opinion that 4th edition is stupid is just that, an opinion, but surely most people should be able to agree that they may as well not name BGIII BGIII if it doesn't share the setting and rules of the prior games.
    edited October 2014
    @Silverstar‌

you should also vote (3rd to last option)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited October 2014
    Sure, all those games sound great in theory...

Oh, wait, you mean you want Beamdog to make them? The company that needs 18 months to get a pre-existing game to a level of quality where it actually can be considered enhanced?

@shawne‌
    fair enough but here's an option for that in the poll as well (3rd to last)
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Don't make PS:T, make BG3 in some other rule system.

PS:T is a sacred cow to a lot of people, clunky and dated interface included. You can't enhance it by adding content, either.

BG3 should either be 2e or non d&d, 4e and 5e changed the Forgotten Realms too much to use it as a recognizable setting. You would have to have it as a pre spellplague Realms, and it would fit best to have 2e so that it could relate to the other BGs.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Uh, oops. Wrong button. Whatever, none of them where perfect anyway. I'm all for PS:T:EE, but I dunno about this whole 3.x deal, or the iwd 2. I think they should just do pstee in 2e and rebalance it with kits like thier doing for iwd. I think if they made anything else, they should make it in 5e; I think that systems pretty solid. (Though I've never played tabletop).
    I am also almost wholly opposed to bg3.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    edited October 2014
    meagloth said:

I think they should just do pstee in 2e and rebalance it with kits like thier doing for iwd.

Adding kits to PST wouldn't work. The Nameless One always starts out as a fighter, and depending on quests and dialogue, he can switch to Mage or Thief. He can then switch freely back and forth between classes (but only be one class at a time).

Because of how the game is written, you can't easily add in party NPCs either, and the existing NPCs are almost all unique in their abilities to the point of being kitted already. For example... floating skull that taunts enemies and bites them to death.
    Post edited by MERLANCE on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I don't see a good reason to change the ruleset for either PST or IWD2. Each works within its version of the Inf engine. If EEs were made of those games, it would be to bring their unique features to the Inf+ engine. But, I don't know if the development time would be worth it.

As for BG3 or IWD3, if the Inf+engine works, why throw it out for a new engine?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I'm so confused.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    LiamEsler said:

I think I can safely say that if we were going to do PST:EE and IWDII:EE, we would not change the rulesets.

All that needs to be said, really.

LiamEsler said:

I think I can safely say that if we were going to do PST:EE and IWDII:EE, we would not change the rulesets.

did you ever discuss internally how the combat in torment is broken (and frankly lame) and how it would benefit from a newer ruleset?

also, noone's discussing changing IWDII's ruleset, that game is already in 3e
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @bob_veng It's outside the scope of what we do.

I don't see a good reason to change the ruleset for either PST or IWD2. Each works within its version of the Inf engine. If EEs were made of those games, it would be to bring their unique features to the Inf+ engine. But, I don't know if the development time would be worth it.

As for BG3 or IWD3, if the Inf+engine works, why throw it out for a new engine?

since changing the ruleset for torment is out of question now i won't talk about that anymore. noone mentioned changing the ruleset for IWD2

when it comes to EEing torment it's impossible to bring in the biggest advantage ("unique feature") of the current BG2-based engine because you can't put kits in torment since there's no real character creation so the big question is what *other* major feature Beamdog will (or will not) come up.
    if it's just going to be a technological update i think they shouldn't bother.
    it's similar for IWD2 because that game already has the 3E implementation which has both kits and other features. IWD2 on the other hand might need some polishing; adding new content to it seems like a good idea (while adding content to PS:T doesn't, at least to me).

for IWD3, it's i think impossible to go back to 2.5E since IWD2 is already in 3E so a "new engine" (actually the same engine modified with 3e rules) would have to be put in place.

for BG3 i think that it'd be much better to go with a more modern ruleset but that's just my opinion.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I would like to see a completely new D&D game in another setting, not BG3, the Bhaalspawn saga ended with Throne of Bhaal.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    dib said:

I would like to see a completely new D&D game in another setting, not BG3, the Bhaalspawn saga ended with Throne of Bhaal.

This idea seems to still float around, but no one would want to continue ToB.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    I agree with @dib BG saga ended with Tob.

I think they should make a new game in the forgotten realms, or other D&D setting.

It will be nice to see PS:T enhanced, if they will do it I'll get it as well.
    As for IWD3 I think they should do IWD2 before they will go there, it just logic to go in order then skip it.

dib said:

This idea seems to still float around, but no one would want to continue ToB.
    have you ever talked about IWD3? that seems like much lesser of a challenge...

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Make PTEE for iPad and other tablets, we don't need any other enhancement.
    Make BG3 the way you like it.