Skip to content

Mariel, composer. Roleplay/character journal, some restrictions.

LuridelLuridel Member Posts: 25
edited October 2014 in Challenges and Playthroughs
"Who has not asked himself at some time or other: am I a monster or is this what it means to be a person?"
-Clarise Lispector, The Hour of the Star

ABOUT:

Loosely inspired by pacifist runs and also by one of the more hilarious things my little brother came up with (invisible skalds providing party-wide buffs), this will be a roleplay-restricted (mostly) and heavily-documented game duo: Mariel of Candlekeep, skald, and her trusty sidekick, Imoen.

Spoiler tags are for game spoilers that are further in time than this playthrough is up to or for large blocks of text/images. I've tried to make it clear which is which.

RULES (BG1-specific):

- I know the base game (nearly) inside-out. Mariel does not. Even if it means I have to spend more time trudging around, I will do my best to metagame as little as possible. These two girls (Mariel and Imoen) are on their own and paranoid, for the most part, which is my excuse for detecting traps that I have memorized.
- Mariel and Imoen must meet and interact with every single companion who is present in any way in the base game of Baldur's Gate 2. They do not need to travel with them, but they must meet them.
SPOILER - BG2:
(Ajantis, Coran, Dynaheir, Khalid, Minsc, Faldorn, Garrick, Jaheira, Quayle, Edwin, Montaron, Viconia, Xzar, Tiax.)
- Mariel and Imoen don't want any long-term traveling companions. If they decide to help anyone, once they're done, they should probably say goodbye. (They'll probably temporarily pick up Xan and Yeslick, for example, rather than leave them to fend for themselves in their respective mines, and remove them from the party after leaving. They can accept party members for the quests relevant to them, but must dismiss them afterwards.)
- If either Mariel OR Imoen dies, I -must- reload, for reasons of future game continuity into Baldur's Gate 2. I should not reload for any other reasons (except in the case of game-breaking bugs or game crashes). Other temporary party members can be raised at temples if they aren't permanently killed; Mariel and Imoen cannot.
SPOILER: Late BG1; BG2
Bhaalspawn cannot be resurrected. Imoen must survive at least long enough to be kidnapped in Shadows of Amn.
- For roleplaying reasons, if Mariel and Imoen can't realistically carry it, it will probably be left behind. Mariel might do her best to haul a heavy suit of enchanted armor back to town to sell, but she probably isn't going to be carrying two of those. Not without a belt of strength, at least. Imoen needs to have her hands free if she's going to be shooting a bow; she can't be carrying six greatswords.
- If Mariel lands any killing blows on any enemies whatsoever, this will have in-character repercussions.
- I'm planning on doing this modless, for once in my life. I may add in appearance-only mods or mods that patch/fix things as necessary.

MARIEL:

Mariel is a composer and a writer. She is interested in writing songs about historical battles. At the start of the game, she wouldn't hurt a fly. Her primary method of self-defense is running away. Although she hates drawing attention to herself, particularly because assassins are trying to kill her, she has an interest in doing the right thing.

Her very presence is inspiring to Imoen. (Bard song will be left on whenever possible.) She carries a dagger for emergencies and darts for serious emergencies, but she certainly doesn't want to kill anyone.

Her goal is to figure out who's sending assassins after her and give them a stern talking-to about how she isn't a threat to anyone and just wants to be left alone, please.

I was ridiculously lucky enough to score 97 total points for her stats. Too bad she's not going to be able to make much use of them in the game.
Character creation screenshot:
In-game biography:

IMOEN:

Although Mariel doesn't particularly approve of stealing, her childhood best friend might just find it necessary to sneak off in the middle of the night and 'borrow' a couple of things from time to time.

Imoen's probably going to have to do more things that Mariel isn't willing to do in order to keep the two of them alive. Her goal is to protect her best friend at all costs.
Post edited by Luridel on

Comments

• Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Thanks. Hope you continue at least as far as Bandit's Camp.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I ... think ... I ... still ... remember ... Mariel.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Huzzah! More Mariel!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    It's back?! WHAAAAAT?! Instant *like* just for continuing with it.