Skip to content

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I think they should have given people, who already had the originals, the enhanced editions for free. I mean, gog.com has done this for other enhanced editions.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    decado said:

Actually don't worry, the new one is kinda meh.

The EEs' tagline in a nutshell, really.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    decado said:

Yeah, I have the original Robocop film on VHS. I demand the the distributors of the new reboot provide me with a free Blu-ray copy of the new one.

I support that notion.
    decado said:

I like it :( But then I don't remember much of the original, just some quotes and that I liked that too.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

decado said:

Yeah, I have the original Robocop film on VHS. I demand the the distributors of the new reboot provide me with a free Blu-ray copy of the new one.

I support that notion.
    decado said:

I like it :( But then I don't remember much of the original, just some quotes and that I liked that too.
    Surely you remember toxic waste guy? Freaky to kids at least.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    GoG is my favourite store and it's good to see my all time favourite games now available there. Everyone wins!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @typo_tilly: I don't think it's quite that clear-cut. Sure, lots of original bugs have been fixed; but a whole bunch have been introduced too. Sure, modders can do more; but so far the emphasis has been on adapting existing mods to the EE (without modifying them in any way to account for new content), and that job's not even close to finished. So those holdouts have a point, at least insofar as the current state of the EEs are concerned.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Now people who like to buy from GoG.com finally have a choice. A choice is never excessive.

The battle of vanilla vs EE will never have a winner - different people just have different views and tastes.

The most important thing is now there's an additional place where the game can be bought. And it has a fine price.
    @bengoshi: I don't think it's about different views or tastes at all, though. BG:EE is already at a place where it can supplant the original altogether - BG1NPC is up and running (which, in turn, makes most of BG1UB redundant), and most other mods are compatible (including the one that restores the original movies). There's no real reason to prefer original BG1 anymore, especially since EE content is so easily avoided.

BG2 isn't there by a long shot, though. And unless Beamdog get their act together, it never will be.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    One reason to have the original BG is to play with the original rules without the extras added by BG2 kits and the like. There are a number of players who enjoy and prefer the flavor of the original.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited October 2014
    shawne said:

I don't think it's about different views or tastes at all, though. BG:EE is already at a place where it can supplant the original altogether - BG1NPC is up and running (which, in turn, makes most of BG1UB redundant), and most other mods are compatible (including the one that restores the original movies). There's no real reason to prefer original BG1 anymore, especially since EE content is so easily avoided.

@shawne, this is simply not true. Why do you always assume that your tastes must be universally shared ?

There are still those who prefer the original game to BG:EE. I know because I'm one of them.

The main point is that the are too many things I don't like about BG:EE and I'm talking about features, not bugs. To make the enhanced game more to my liking, I would have to create myself several mods, just to undo most of the changes made to the game that I didn't like. To me is just easier to play the original game, also because it is more customisable, i.e. I can customise it in larger extent and more easily, by just using some of the existing mods (examples: #1 ToBEx, every single feature can be switched on and off using a ini file #2 1PP: I can choose a different look for armours, shields and helmets every time I start a new playthrough, etc.)

The original game IMO is still preferable to BG:EE because more customisable.

Edit:
    kcwise said:

One reason to have the original BG is to play with the original rules without the extras added by BG2 kits and the like. There are a number of players who enjoy and prefer the flavor of the original.

I really agree with this.

For example, I'm currently playing the original IWD without any mods (except one I made myself to increase the size of fonts in dialogues), so no kits, no additional classes and races, etc.

When I'm done, I may or may not start another playthrough with IWD-in-BG2 and Icewind Dale NPCs, etc.

The first option (i.e. playing with the original vanilla rules) will not be available in IWD:EE, and this, to me, is reason enough to prefer the original game.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    1pp is not compatible with the EE's? If so, that's quite the shame. I like using that mod to customize sprites to my preferences.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Adul said:

1pp is not compatible with the EE's? If so, that's quite the shame. I like using that mod to customize sprites to my preferences.

1PP is incorporated in the EE's with predefined choices. At the moment, these can't be changed and it is unlikely (but not completely impossible) that a new version, compatible with the EE's, will ever be released and the main reason for this is that it is partially included already.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Yes, I noticed that it's already included from looking at the helms and such, but I thought it could still be installed for more choices. I'm not a huge fan of helmets and shields sharing the same sprites between the two EE games, when the vanilla games had clearly defined stylistic differences between them. I liked it that way.