Skip to content

I don't like the loot bar

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

No it isn't.

Well my opinion on it differs from yours, so yes it is. And I'm entitled to my opinion, without having people jump down my throat for expressing it.
    Wiggles said:

Where do you think this supposed middle ground is?

An option to make it work the way it does in the BG games. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand. If I have to choose between not using it at all or using it and not liking the way it works, that's not much of an option.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    so it has been confirmed the IWD variant gets ported to the BGs in a future patch.

i'd really like for quickloot instapickup not to work when enemies are visible in BG because there they drop many items that are useful on the spot, during the battle. this has an exploity tinge to it.

in IWD this is not the case.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I have bad news for you (but good for everyone else)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/570479/#Comment_570479

Bummer. Though I've expressed my "opinion" about it in that thread as well. No doubt people will start jumping down my throat there as well.

edited November 2014
    i think that the behaviors should automatically shift depending on whether enemies are visible, what do you think? the button could turn red when enemies are present and to some other hue (green?) when not to indicate the possibility of instapickup.
    bob_veng said:

i think that the behaviors should automatically shift depending on whether enemies are visible, what do you think?

I'd say more than just visible. An area should be cleared completely before you are able to just insta-grab. Other than that you should have to move to the item.

such a check (area cleared) is not characteristic of an infinity engine game. don't be offended but it's more a diablo thing.

also the "area cleared" concept doesn't aestetically mesh with rest spawns.
    bob_veng said:

such a check (area cleared) is not characteristic of an infinity engine game. don't be offended but it's more a diablo thing.

There is a game, I forget which now, where there's an area check before you can rest. It might be one of the Neverwinter games, I'm not sure right now. The same could apply to the Quick Loot function. In fact, not being able to rest until an area is fully cleared would be a good addition as well IMO.

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Don't mind it myself, I just wish the bloody feature could be made into a quick-key macro for on/off purposes, instead of having to navigate with the mouse all the time.
    yeah i feel like three buttons would do it - two that scroll the bar and one that picks up the item in the first box
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    My opinion of it is that, if you want it use it, if that isnt your style ignore it. You can still walk onto items to bring up the little menu to get your classic loot Pavlovian going NAH MEAN?!?!?!?
    Fandraxx said:

My opinion of it is that, if you want it use it, if that isnt your style ignore it. You can still walk onto items to bring up the little menu to get your classic loot Pavlovian going NAH MEAN?!?!?!?

Why does it have to be either/or? I like the feature, I just prefer the way it works in the BG games. Why is that such a problem for people here?

Dee said:

I think it might be because the way it works in BG:EE isn't intended behavior,

Well IMO it's superior behaviour, and much more realistic.
    Dee said:

I like the suggestion of disabling it during combat, but I think in that case you'd want to also disable normal looting,

Again, why does it have to be either/or? You may not have much of an opportunity to walk over to an item in order to pick it up when you're under attack, which would certainly put some limits in your ability to loot a fallen foe. It only makes sense that if you're standing on top of the body of something you just killed that you be able to grab it's stuff.

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    There's really no point disabling in combat because it doesn't really do anything

Chances are players aren't going to win a battle better because they can pick up whatever junk enemies drop during battle.
    edited November 2014

Chances are players aren't going to win a battle better because they can pick up whatever junk enemies drop during battle.

That's not true. There may be a superior weapon/armor lying around, or a few Potions of Healing. That could certainly make a difference in a battle. Especially if you're fighting a creature that's immune to normal weapons and there just happens to be a magical weapon lying around. Not everything an enemy drops is junk.

Alright let me amend what I said, chances are any decent party that isn't designed, outfitted, and played horribly is going to win because of quick looting during battle.

And the chances that a horribly designed, outfitted, and played party somehow gets a save due to quick loot is similarly low, because that party is eventually going to lose because it's designed, outfitted, and played horribly.
    edited November 2014
    Then, frankly, there's something wrong your party or how you play it if potions looted during a battle is a win condition for that battle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2014
    I'm going to call a bad party a bad party if I see one.

If a party is going to lose, or survive but suffer horrible loses and the thing that saved that party from that fate was loot during battle then that means the party has problems with survivability, which is really the only thing a party should be concerned with defensively.

Also check your own reading comprehension. I'm talking about using items looted from enemies during the same battle where you killed them. Not loot from enemies from previous battles.

And I'm specifically talking about a party losing or at the very least winning but with an unpreferrable outcome (like 1 character dying) if they weren't able to loot enemies they just killed during battle.

If all that Potion of Strength did was let you kill an enemy 1 round earlier, and all it would have done 1 round later is deal negligible damage then that doesn't matter and isn't what I'm talking about.

If the Potion of Strength let you kill a monster 1 round earlier and 1 round later it would have killed a party member then there's something wrong with your party or how you played it.
    My main issue with the new system is not that it can make a battle easier. It has to do with having to walk over to an item to pick it up might expose some enemy that was hidden in the fog of war. There might be a serious consequence of your party leader going over to grab something, whereas there is none now. I can grab anything within visible range and not have to worry at all about triggering some encounter.
    edited November 2014
    Right because we're playing a game where loot is going to disappear if you don't get it right after the battle is done.

Should the devs remove the ability to heal on rest too? If I don't cast my healing spells before rest, I just wasted them and I could trigger a random battle which ends up killing all my characters because I forgot to heal. It's a noob mistake that'll be a hassle for anyone who knows better.

Looting items near the fog of war with a single character and dying horribly because of it is a beginner's mistake. Smart players aren't going to do it repeatedly or they're just going to rely on reloading if something bad happens.

Should the developers remove saving and loading too then? Or put in options that prevent saving and reloading?

Gameplay > Save and Reload >
    Limit to 1 per dungeon
    Limit to 2 per dungeon
    Limit to 3 per dungeon
    ... etc
    Limit to 1000 per dungeon
    Game automatically saves and deletes all other saves of the same playthrough when spell scribing fails
    Game automatically saves and deletes all other saves of the same playthrough when character dies
    Game automatically saves and deletes all other saves of the same playthrough when pickpocketing fails

Wow so many options, so many pointless options that really are stuff the player should be doing themselves instead of running to the devs because apparently they're incapable of limiting things on their own.

snip

You know, I'm getting really tired of your snarky attitude. I really wish this forum had an ignore feature so I wouldn't have to put up with your crap.

Just because you play the game a certain way doesn't mean that everyone else has to as well. I don't want to have to back track through a large area to pick up the loot when I can finally be certain that I have it cleared out, and there won't be any surprises around the corner. I'll pick things up as I go along so I don't have to bother with it later on. And with the way the Quick Loot feature works now, that is far too easy to do.

Because with Quick Loot turned off doing that is somehow impossible?

However did players loot stuff in the past without a Quick Loot bar? Oh right they manually picked things up. Which involves the very feature you're asking for, walking to where the loot is and picking it up
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Zyzzogeton‌ Please review the Site Rules, and conduct yourself with a bit more respect.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10852/site-rules-mind-the-gap#latest
    So basically less sarcasm to drive the point in.

Okay.

Players were able to do that before quick loot existed through manual looting which involved the exact feature being asked for, walking to the loot and picking it up