Skip to content

NWN 1 vs NWN 2 - Which do you prefer? (Neverwinter Nights)

VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
edited November 2014 in Off-Topic

As the title says: NWN 1 or NWN 2 - Which Neverwinter Nights game do you prefer?

I have played neither and am thinking about trying out one of them.

Which game is your favourite? And, if you want to give your thoughts about it, why?
  1. NWN 1 vs NWN 2 - Which do you prefer? (Neverwinter Nights)55 votes
    1. NWN 1.
      36.36%
    2. NWN 2.
      40.00%
    3. Both are equal.
      14.55%
    4. I prefer neither of them.
        1.82%
    5. I just like to vote.
        1.82%
    6. Two plus two is four. Two plus two is four. Two plus two is four.
        5.45%

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I voted NWN (1) but with a caveat - the game was okay (great at the time) but what I really liked was the Hoards of the Underdark expansion.

The graphics in NWN2 were better
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Never played NWN2 so naturally I chose 1. The saddest thing is that NWN no longer works on my computer for some reason.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2014
    I miss clicked I meant to say 2 is better, that said I prefer Hordes of the underdark to both by miles

I found nwn1 utterly boring and 2 like most obsidian games felt unfinished and riddled with stupid game play decisions, But it had some good npcs so it gets an auto win
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Best. Option. Ever.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The second game had better expansions. And it didn't felt like a bloody toolset trailer like the first one.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I only played Never winter Nights 1
    Did not complete it and thought is was no where as good as the Infinity Engine games
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    NWN2, particularly because I love Mask of the Betrayer to death.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Two plus two is five-no, wait!
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    2 has a real slow start, might change my mind if I ever go back to it. 1 was my first taste of blackguard, so it's gonna be hard to top.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2014
    NWN 2 was so buggy at launch. I tried to give it a chance but gave up. It just seemed like a huge step back from the stability NWN1 had reached for minimal graphical improvement which on the other hand was derailed by buginess.

I liked NWN 1 - which was also kinda wonky at launch, but when I went back to it after a few patches and played at some online worlds I had a blast.

The inital campaigns weren't great.

Love the Shifter class, lots of fun with rakshasa shape and risen lord. Too bad shapeshifting in the IE games aren't nearly as cool.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I enjoyed "Hordes of the Underdark" tremendously... but "Mask of the Betrayer" has some of the best writing I've ever seen in video game RPGs.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I voted for NWN 1 as I had so many problems with the second. First off it's probably the buggiest game Obsidian has made. I can usually overlook this as I'm a big fan of the developer, but NWN 2 took it to new lows. There were so many game breaking bugs in the game. I ended up having to restart it numerous times due to these bugs.

The AI was also very poor and the combat wasn't interesting. It's not the fact that the game is too hard or too easy, just that it's kinda boring. Part of this was because the story itself was boring. I didn't care about the world or the inhabitants of it.

Though probably the worst thing about NWN 2 were the NPCs. There were maybe three characters I could stand listening to, the rest just wanted to make me cut off my ears. I found Neera to be the lowest of the low. In fact I would take on an entire party of noober through the whole BG saga than have to listen to her constant whine. The fact that you're stuck wit her for so much of the first act did nothing endear her to me
    I was so so happy when she turns against you and I could act out all the ways I dreamed of killing her.

It might sound like I really hate the game, but I don't. The character creation system was fantastic, some of the mods are amazing and the expansions are interesting and well made. The thing that really annoys me is that this could have been a great game, but it was rushed and sloppy. So many bad choices were made. If it was just a horrible game I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but it had so much promise, yet (in my eyes anyway) failed horribly to live up to it.

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I would normally just vote for 1 because 2 seems to hate my guts with the way the graphic-demands are so jaded and nuts; sometimes the game looks and runs perfectly fine after I mess with 12 different sliders and graphic options, then the next I get blurry skies. And that's on a computer that is more than capable of handling the game, too.

NWN2 in terms of everything else would have gotten my vote though, as the story, cliche as it were, was pretty good even in the main campaign, and they never made you feel like you were truly at a loss with your party set-up. Though I have to add in that playing a sneak-attack focused character in NWN2 was extremely disappointing later on when nearly everything was immune to crits to avoid you "cheesing" the enemies. That was beyond dumb.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Camera in 2 makes it frustrating to play IMO and I have nevwr finished it or attempted the expansions (even though I own them) because of this.

I try giving it chances once and awhile but there are better games hat grab my attention.

That said, the story for the original was very weak, but the expansions as well as player made adventures made it exceptionally better.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I have played both. Campaigns, modules, online, you name it.

Indeed, NwN2 on launch was buggy as hell.
    ..And so was NwN1. Even after installing Hordes, I remember crashing ALL the time while playing the campaign. It got fixed with the next patches.

NwN1 greatest sin that they NEVER bothered to fix, was actual party gameplay.
    NwN1 was more like a DnD Diablo.

You picked a single character, maybe one or two henchmen that were AI controlled and you were going from place to place and getting uber loot since there were no tactics involved and it was just a dungeon-crawl with RP options now and then.

Even Hordes, despite being the best campaign, was pretty much like Diablo 1.
    You start in town (Tristram/Waterdeep), you go into the dungeon (Cathedral/Undermountain), then the caves (Underdark), then hell (Nine Hells) and then fight the devil/demon (Big M/Diablo).

While you can "town portal" either with the Stone of Recall or the other shenanigans of Hordes.
    Sure Hordes and NwN1 is far deeper than Diablo but the formula is the same.

And I loved NwN1 but it was extremely limited in everything.

NwN2 offered a standard DnD campaign, a Planescape Torment-like expansion (MotB) and party creations and exploration ala Icewind Dale (Storm of Zehir).

You had full party control from the start, far more options for character customization (subraces, new races, more classes, prestige classes) and it generally followed DnD more closely.
    You could even pick your deity with full descriptions of their portfolio.

The toolset is also more complex and hard to get used to, but far more powerful. Everything in NwN1 was tile-based. You couldn't add the detail you wanted, in interiors or exteriors.

While I miss some awesome stuff from NwN1 (Shifter, epic prestige classes), the final and current package of NwN2 is far superior to NwN1.
    And I played NwN1 first for years.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    edited November 2014
    Thank you for your answers (so far) everybody! It's an interesting read.

Is it possible to get the 3/4 camera angle in NWN 1? The way I remember seeing it, once, it was practically a 3rd person camera. (Or maybe it was a very zoomed in camera with a party-sized over the shoulder-view...) I'm really fond of the camera style from BG.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited November 2014
    Tresset said:

The saddest thing is that NWN no longer works on my computer for some reason.

You can get the whole package at GOG for next to nothing. It should work on your system. I had issues with my disc version as well after upgrading my system, but the GOG one works fine. The full Neverwinter Nights 2 can be had there as well.

As for the poll, I chose NWN2. First of all, it was more of a typical D&D game with a full party rather than just one or two sidekicks. Plus I never cared for the NWN1 interface, I found it rather clunky to work with. Then of course, NWN2 had far better graphics. As for NWN2 being buggy, it may have started out that way, but there was a ton of patches that made the game quite stable in the end. Obsidian did a good job of following up on the game.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I like 2 better in theory... but the camera gave me headaches and made it a pain to play at times. I never finished either, but started a million different modules lol. I have major restartitis in BG but in NWN it was so bad I never got past chapter 2 in either game, which makes me an unreliable vote tbh.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think both are really good.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Cuv said:

I voted NWN (1) but with a caveat - the game was okay (great at the time) but what I really liked was the Hoards of the Underdark expansion.

The graphics in NWN2 were better

Same as @Cuv‌: I liked NWN 1 but what really hooked me at that game was the Hordes of the Underdark expansion. Loved it, when I played it back in the time it was a little like playing BGII again, as one of my most preferred BGII parts was and will always be the Underdark. :D

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    It's like choosing between mum and dad.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    The engine is horrible.
    All I remember from NWN1 is that I barely finished the tutorial before giving up on the game. *shudders*
    NWN2 is awesome though, due to the characters, story and progression.