Skip to content

Enough speciesism, What about classism?

NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
Since my poll on one race parties took off well I grow curious. If you were limited to just one class (Kits allowed) what class would you choose for a six person party? Personally, I go with bards. Performance troupe acting like an adventuring party here we come! Sadly since polls are limited to 10 options I had to leave out barbarians, wich is sad because raging against the world at large is awesome. Luckily, I thought of a work around!
  1. Enough speciesism, What about classism?85 votes
    1. Fighter (No problem can't be stabbed, smashed or shot until its gone)
        8.24%
    2. Ranger (I got stealth, I got arrows and I got beasts. What else is there?)
        4.71%
    3. Paladin (Ignore the blackguard. Hes our "redemption" project)
      10.59%
    4. Cleric (Theologians working togeither for a better tommarow!)
      12.94%
    5. Druid (Nature's wrath? Yeah, thats us.)
      15.29%
    6. Mage (One man's banned school is another man's specialty)
        7.06%
    7. Thief (Its not over til every trap is disarmed, all loot looted and all pockets picked)
        9.41%
    8. Bard (Danger or not, there is always time for singing)
      11.76%
    9. Sorcerer (Whats better then one fireball? Guess)
      16.47%
    10. Monk (Punch! Punch for ever lasting peace!)
        3.53%

Comments

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Agree with this post if you want to vote for Barbarians (You wouldn't like them when they're angry)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think bards might have the most variety of all classes.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2014
    Barbarians are actually a Fighter Kit… even if shown on the Main Class selection screen.

I choose Mage/Thief Multi-class (because it's a great combo for BG)!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Fighter for sure. Everything is better with a bit of fighter added to the mix. So I'd go with a fighter, and dual into whatever is needed.

As for ACTUAL single-forever-alone classes... probably Sorcerer or Archer.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @FinneousPJ‌ A real fighter can fight through your puny restrictions!
  • Ranger, divine caster with backstabs and bows.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It's fun for one thief to lure all the enemies in while the other five thieves do all the backstabbing.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I just love having a fighter around.
  • GrabtharsHammerGrabtharsHammer Member Posts: 27

It's fun for one thief to lure all the enemies in while the other five thieves do all the backstabbing.

Good point.

Hybrid wise... a fighter/thief can do it all.

Sneak, hit beyond hard, detect traps, open locks, dispel illusions,
    fund raise... "What has it got in its nasty little pockitses" ~Golem quote ,
    Use magic items, scrolls, and potions,
    let's not forget traps :)
    Wait, do all bard songs stack? If so, then I should've voted for the bard team.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Cleric, because it's the most self sufficient class!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    lots of customization for sorcerers. somehow i attach the most roleplaying value to them because i can choose their spells (while mages just devour all available spells)
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Thief. I couldn't stand not being able to disarm traps and open locks.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Utility in disarming traps and opening locks
    Best scouting class, and easiest one to kite enemies with
    backstab, backstab, backstab, backstab, backstab, backstab.
    Slippery mind + shorty saves = amazing.
  • Druids would work pretty well, I think. You've got melee presence with shapeshifting and summoned totem creatures and Avengers get a pretty nice skill list. No thief skills, but you can't have it all.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Cleric! Its one of the most versatile classes. They can be archers, melee, tank, caster, summoners, and can even detect traps with a spell! They can also outright destroy, or mind control undead when using "Turn Undead" which, most of us know that about 2/3rds of IWD is Undead!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'll do you one better! Why not combine them!

6 Lawful Good Halfling Wizard Slayers! You'll be ready for those caster fights for sure!

...what do you mean there aren't any?!
  • Gulthias_AmarsonGulthias_Amarson Member Posts: 28
    I voted cleric because 2E clerics can pretty much do anything if they have the right spells memorized.

However, I know for a FACT that you can beat the original IWD with an entire party of Fighters that have 5 pipped Longbows and 3 pipped Great Swords. It was amusing to turn everything I ran across into a pin cushion, but it ultimately became boring after I chewed through wave after wave of Frost Giant without even breaking a sweat.
  • GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    This one is hard... but I have to go cleric... With my cleric I can find traps, dispell magic, heal, tank, use heavy armor, blast enemies with divine abilities.... and undead would have no chance what so ever....
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    And they should all be female elves...
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Beastmaster, archer, two stalkers and two vanilla rangers. Would be a fun party wich would provide ample opportunity for creative tactics I think :)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    They may not have the Ferret familiars, but the Ferret Force Five is still good to go!

I voted cleric because 2E clerics can pretty much do anything if they have the right spells memorized.

However, I know for a FACT that you can beat the original IWD with an entire party of Fighters that have 5 pipped Longbows and 3 pipped Great Swords. It was amusing to turn everything I ran across into a pin cushion, but it ultimately became boring after I chewed through wave after wave of Frost Giant without even breaking a sweat.

I thought in the original IWD you couldn't go beyond mastery in bows.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2014
    One class only? Oh.

Well, Clerics or Druids or Sorcerers then.

Maybe Paladins and Rangers if you grind forever.

Since those could take on HoF unlike the other classes. And Mages would just keep dropping dead since the only useful spell they get is Web up until Chapter 2.