Skip to content

More Party Slots

TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
So we know the 6-person limit is hardcoded in BG1/2.

And since IWDEE runs on the BG engine, the same applies, right?

But when Overhaul said 'hardcoded', did they mean "totally completely utterly impossible to modify", or was it more along the lines of "yeah, we *could* do it, but it'd eat up an inordinate amount of our time"? Because if it's the latter, I believe I'm not the only one who'd drop a couple of bucks for a DLC featuring expanded party slots, especially for a new game like IWDEE. And the improved functionality could (probably?) be back-ported to the BGEEs as well.

What sayeth you?

(note: please don't bring up balance issues - if this was ever implemented, it would probably be given 'as is', and no one would expect Overhaul to re-balance the entire game around the change, so any talk of balance -- or lack thereof -- is a moot point anyway)

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    What balance issues?

If you had more than six party members, they'd all be extremely low level.

Also, if there's a six character limit, then how does Find Familiar work? Surely there's something more...
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Having more than 6 party members would be a major structural change of the game, something that Beamdog has clearly indicated they're not into. They've tried very hard to keep these games as true to the originals as possible. So I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2014
    I vote yes, especially if its backported to BG. Never understood the arbitrary limit on party members for most quests.( well I get the balance issue but from a Rp perspective its rediculous.)

"Oh, we're heading into an extreamly dangerous area but we'd better leave behind Keldorn, Jaheria, Mazzy, Neera, Dorn and Valygar.They'd only get in our way, right?
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Seeing as Keldorn and Dorn are, to say the least, opposites, yeah. And having Neera along is a two-edged sword...

Now Jaheira, Mazzy and Valygar, on the other hand...I guess they have more important things to do...right?
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2014
    @Belanos
    Read the part up in the OP about not involving game balance in the discussion.

@Frond
    My thoughts exactly.

@WebShaman
    From a strictly storyline perspective, it makes little sense to kick people out of your party. But this isn't about storyline either - it would be just a 'for fun' change that would let people who've beaten the game countless times before now run with 6+ parties. A novelty option, nothing more. Same as with IWDEE's HoF mode.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

@Belanos
    Read the part up in the OP about not involving game balance in the discussion.

What does my comment have to do with the issue of game balance? Beamdog is trying to stay true to the original games as much as possible, all of which have a maximum of 6 characters. They're not about to change that, it's too much of a departure. And it's pointless to bring up the topic without considering game balance as adding more slots would drastically change it. That's like trying to describe a car but not being allowed to mention wheels.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

What balance issues?

If you had more than six party members, they'd all be extremely low level.

Also, if there's a six character limit, then how does Find Familiar work? Surely there's something more...

It's the interface that doesn't support additional characters. Your familiar hasn't got a character sheet or an inventory.
    @Belanos
    They also added story mode to IWDEE. Story mode was not a part of the original game, and it also upsets balance because it makes the game trivially easy. Thus, it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to add things which aren't 100% vanilla-friendly. I honestly have no idea why you're so militant about this topic. It's not as if introducing more party slots somehow automatically wrecks the game. If Beamdog can't or doesn't want to implement this due to financial constraints, then that's something I can understand, but completely ignoring the possibility of new, unique additions just because of a handful of purists like yourself is silly.

@Fardragon
    I think he was being facetious.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @CamDawg So it'd be like trying to turn a Chevy Impala into a spaceship~ XD
    edited November 2014
    @CamDawg
    Give it to me straight - what are the odds of you guys tackling this? :D

I'm a huge fan of the EEs, and I'll throw money at you as fast as you can produce content, but regardless of that, there are many people out there accusing Beamdog of doing little more than packaging mods with the original game. Such silly statements aside, if you guys came out with a 6+ party option, you'd pretty much silence the opposition forever.

Sooooo... how do we get @TrentOster to greenlight this? :D

@CaptRory
    Nothing some elbow grease and a wrench or two can't handle ;)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

@CamDawg
    Give it to me straight - what are the odds of you guys tackling this? :D

I'm a huge fan of the EEs, and I'll throw money at you as fast as you can produce content, but regardless of that, there are many people out there accusing Beamdog of doing little more than packaging mods with the original game. Such silly statements aside, if you guys came out with a 6+ party option, you'd pretty much silence the opposition forever.

Sooooo... how do we get @TrentOster to greenlight this? :D

CaptRory
    Nothing some elbow grease and a wrench or two can't handle ;)

No those same silly people will just say that it is a just like a mod that adds a seventh/eighth/fivety-seventh npc slot.

How about this @TvrtkoSvrdlar‌, what would you rather have, one more NPC in IWD or a new adventure from Beamdog?
    @deltago
    Why not both? Or all three? :P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CaptRory said:

@CamDawg So it'd be like trying to turn a Chevy Impala into a spaceship~ XD

I'd buy that. :)
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    would it be possible to add quasi-party members i.e. permanent followers that change areas but don't don't have UI portraits (no extra slots needed) and have inaccessible inventory screens, level automatically but *do* have accessible character screens (opened via dialogue/special ability button/hotkey).
    during cutscenes they would simply disappear and reappear afterwards (from the area border, entrance point or simply materialize).

you could give them items to use by putting them in an ordinary 'bag' in your inv (give them the bag via "take zee bag bitte" dialogue and they would equip a superior weapon/armor or learn spells that were put inside; incompatible items would just be dropped to the ground)

they could figure in the game as mercenaries. this would work nicely in iwd imho. better than NPCs for iwd which some people also think is a great idea.

feels like a legitimate addon for me. they could have distinct personalities and clash with the party and have many nasty twists that normal jNPCs don't get to have (except for yoshimo).

edit: also, for this to work, spellbook would have to be accessible or maybe they could autonomously decide what to memorize.
    ah okay
    bad ideat then lol
  • Just add korax the ghoul to every area! Great fun
    i've always wanted to take korax along even if not as a full-fledged npc.

i've also always wanted to see the character sheet of that constantly improving BG2 summoned berserker.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    edited November 2014
    I only play with 4 or 5 chars anyway.
    But it is a good idea for the new engine, I'm currently building (In my dreams that is :p ...)
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    I can't even remember the last time I played with a full party of 6.
    @CamDawg
    Thanks for the indepth explanation ;)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Oh, SLOTS. I miss-read that.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

What did you think it was? Slits? Slats? Ummm....slu-oooh...
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    edited November 2014

We could go the full route with this (which I did when I first read it)....

PARTY SLOTS...
    Post edited by TheCoffeeGod on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

PARTY SLOTS...

I agree, there just aren't enough of those in the game. I'd vote for more.