Skip to content

A myconid's first run through the Dale

I bought Icewind Dale with absolutely no previous knowledge of it or any of its plot. Lets have a go at this blind walkthrough thing. I'll reload but only if I fail in combat. I won't reload to get a better ending to a quest or something similar. Playing on normal difficulty.

My party is
Myconid Berzerker
Dwarven Priest of Tempus
Elf Archer
Human Assassin
Half Elf Bard
Half Elf Mage/Cleric

The party wakes up in a bar. Fantastic start. A large armored man approaches the bar. I assume that he's here to throw us out but he instead introduces himself as Hrothgar. One of the thousands of Hrothgars in the Ten Towns and in fantasy in general I assume. He tells me to buy stuff and meet him in his home later. Right... meet a strange heavily armed and armored man in his own home. That doesn't sound like a trap.

I notice that my party has no equipment whatsoever so I assume that these are people so hardcore that they can wander around the most dangerous and unexplored parts of Faerun and survive with nothing but the skimpy, somewhat revealing shirts off their backs. A little boy tells me that there are monsters to the south. I threaten to throw him in a lake if he's lying. I don't like kids.

I find some goblins who quickly disagreed with my previous assumption that my party is a bunch of badasses and quickly raised their objections. With arrows. *Reload*

My party is not filled with hardcore adventurers that can brave the ice wastes half naked. They are morons. I go to the local adventure mart and find inside some entitled jerk who thinks he's a lot more important than he is. I shut him up real quick by giving him the truth that everybody in town has wanted to tell him for years. I then buy the party's gear from him. At a drastic mark up I can only assume. I don't like the guy so I send Assassin upstairs to rob him blind. Find some gold and a green High Quality Dagger.

High. Quality. Dagger...

Wat.jpg

I look at the stats and it says has a +1 to THAC0. My filthy 3.5e mind immediately makes the connection that is masterwork. SCORE! Now I can shank things in style. Have Assassin go down stairs and the shopkeep is looking at me. OH GOD HE KNOWS! just walk just walk. Go outside. Decide to pay the goblins a return visit. With my own arrows. Pass by some children freaking out over a squirrel. I treat the goblins to an old adventurer favorite. The Arrow Breakfast Special. I got pincushioned by the archers again.

Oh Right. Goblins are still a threat at level 1. *Reload* I decide to go all out and use the big guns. Sleep and Arrows, works like a charm and I find a fish. HELL YES! I AM GOING TO EAT THE CRAP OUTTA THIS FISH! Go back to the boy and he takes my fish. OI! I wanted to eat that!

Wander around town some more. See the children still freaking out about the squirrel. Talk to some guy that says a wolf is in his house. Try to open the door. Its locked. ASSASSIN GET TO WORK! Assassin tries and he fails. he tries and he fails. ~fast foward 10 minutes~ He tries and he succeeds. HA HA! Beautiful work man. Go inside kill a wolf get a dagger from the guy.

Wander around some more and notice a way out of town. Follow it. Go to a new area. YES! don't have to deal with that creepy Hrothgar guy. Explore and kill orcs and find a cave. CAVE! ADVENTURE HO! Go inside and kill more orks. Decide to have Assassin explore while hiding in shadows.

Thats a lot of orcs. Decide to call it a night

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You must clearly be playing HoF mode...

Good playthrough.
    Arundel was a decent heavy weight in his use I bet, but he's really gone to seed since!

You might be immune to poison Archdruid, but you sure ain't immune to beer bellies!

Cause DAMN!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Decide that sleeping through the middle of the night in what must be the equivalent of norther Serbia in the middle of winter is not a grand idea.

Wait, Serbia? Were you meaning to break the fourth wall there or did you misspell Sembia?
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @OlvynChuru‌ Actually I meant Siberia. I wrote that at like 1 AM
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Love the humor in this play through. Thanks!
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206

My party is
    Myconid Berzerker

What did I miss and how do I unlock this race
    @supposedly‌

The unlock is a little device called EEkeeper

"Sure that sounds great! But they look a little undercooked let me help you with th-FIREBALL!" And throw in a holy smite for good measure. Fight wasn't that difficult afterwards because I lead the survivors down a bottle neck. HA HA! I can use smart tactics too. I'm learnding.

haha! :smiley:

After hastily explaining that I'm not here to kill them I tell them to go back home where its warm but not likely to explode because it seems everyone has forgotten WE ARE IN AN ACTIVE VOLCANO!

Too much fun!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Morale: Everyone uses the debug magic, even myconids!

OH GODS! IT'S SUPER SQUIRREL! HE'S COME BACK FOR REVENGE!!! ALL OF DALE IS DOOMED I SAY! DOOMED!

Then a shade skeleton comes out of the wet works and starts admonishing my dwarf for ever coming here. I'm doomed a shade lich and a super squirrel against my party in a fight to the death. This game does not mess around. Then the shade lich promptly fireballs the super squirrel and kills it.

COME BACK EVIL SHADE LICH! I MUST LEARN THAT SQUIRREL CONQUERING SPELL FROM YOU!!!

:smiley:
    Make sure you wipe thoroughly after a plot dump... otherwise it gets very unpleasant.
    DreadKhan said:

Make sure you wipe thoroughly after a plot dump... otherwise it gets very unpleasant.

Its like wiping peanut butter out of a shag carpet man. Just straight up unpleasant.