Skip to content

Shadowdancer - isn't it a bit contradictory?

You get a class that's perfectly suited for backstabbing or sneak attacking and its main disadvantage is a lower backstab multiplier? :O

Balance issues can't really be the answer. Even with a x7 multiplier it still wouldn't be nearly as broken as some other classes in the game.

Comments

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Shadowdancer was initially introduced in 3E/3.5E as a prestige class. Anyone who played NWN or NWN2 can attest that anyone with shadowdancer levels could be potentially OP as balls, because Hide in Plain Sight was that freaking powerful of an ability. Now the only way to implement it in a game that runs by older edition rules where prestige classes don't exist is to effectively nerf it in some way, hence why it has a lower backstab multiplier.

And balance issues definitely is a legit answer. Can you freaking imagine a solo run of BG2 where you can just backstab, HIPS, backstab, rinse and repeat? All you would need is a cloak of non-detection or some silliness like that and just hide every time you get seen. I don't care if you think Monk one-shots are OP or Berserker Rage is OP, or whatever else; an unnerfed Hide in Plain Sight Shadowdancer is STUPIDLY OP. Especially since it isn't a prestige class in this game, but a kit running on the same Thief XP table, which means they already level up faster than anyone else.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I'd say it's a reasonable tradeoff, being able to hide and backstab anytime, but doing less damage per backstab.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    edited November 2014
    @GamingFreak: It's not a legit answer... Even if the multiplier is a bit lower right now that doesn't stop you from doing exactly what you described, you just do a little less damage. A x4 backstab multiplier is still more than enough
    especially since you can easily get 19 strength with the thief ring
    and level 13 is not too late to dual-class into fighter.

A solo F/M/T for example is 10x more ridiculous especially since IWD works with level caps instead of XP caps.

And even if balance issues *were* the reason a more efficient way to nerf Shadowdancers would have been to make them unable to dual-class for example. Or they could have made it so that you get HIPS at level 15 or something instead of right from the start. There are countless more possibilities you can make the class weaker without nerfing its core mechanic.

It just doesn't make sense. Reducing a Shadowdancer's backstab multiplier is like letting a Kensai only put 2 stars in weapon proficiencies instead of making him unable to wear armor or bracers. Technically there wouldn't be much of a difference, Kensai would still be strong, maybe even stronger, but it just doesn't fit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Full backstab + a decent hiding implementation would be fine... but full backstab + auto-invisibility would be game-breakingly, depressingly terrible.

See my post above. It doesn't even make a difference. HIPS in itself is broken with any kind of backstab multiplier but still not as broken as other stuff. Thematically though it just doesn't make sense to weaken the backstab of all things.
    "Not as broken as other stuff"? Implying half this game isn't a balance mess, lol. I'm fine with Shadowdancers losing on a backstab multiplyer. It's completely fair, and yes, balance issues is a perfectly legit answer; I'm sorry you feel otherwise.
    edited November 2014

"Not as broken as other stuff"? Implying half this game isn't a balance mess, lol. I'm fine with Shadowdancers losing on a backstab multiplyer. It's completely fair, and yes, balance issues is a perfectly legit answer; I'm sorry you feel otherwise.

lol... seriously? You just ignore 90% of what I'm saying? Yes, not as broken as other stuff clearly implies the game is a balance mess. As long as there are multiple other classes that are stronger than a Shadowdancer even with full backstab multiplier balance issues are not a valid reason nor a legitimate answer as to why it makes sense for a Shadowdancer to have a lower backstab multiplier. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

I'm also sorry that you don't understand that there would have been a million other ways to make Shadowdancer weaker - weaker as they are right now even(no, I'm not implying Shadowdancers are weak, quite the contrary actually) - without touching the backstab multiplier. So even if you hold on to your opinion that balance issues are in fact the reason for a lower backstab multiplier that still doesn't explain why they didn't choose an option to address those balance issues that makes more sense thematically. See my posts above which you clearly didn't read. I feel like I need to repeat myself to make it clear: There are ways to balance a class without nerfing the aspect(s) it should excel in.

Oh and since we're being condescending to each another I'm expecting an answer along the lines of "Yeah, well... I didn't read your post at all BUT balance issues is the answer, sorry that you don't get it"
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    MrGoodkat said:

l As long as there are multiple other classes that are stronger than a Shadowdancer even with full backstab multiplier balance issues are not a valid reason nor a legitimate answer as to why it makes sense for a Shadowdancer to have a lower backstab multiplier. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

I'm genuinely curious: could you explain which classes you consider to be stronger than a Shadowdancer?
    With a Cloak of Non-Detection a Shadowdancer seems pretty much invincible to me, and deadly.
    Personally, and this is coming from someone whose favorite class is probably the thief class, I've never played with the kit either in BG or in IWD because it seemed overpowered to me, even with the reduced backstab multiplier. I can only see the Shadowdancer struggle against high level backstab-immune enemies (against whom other Thieves would use their traps).
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited November 2014
    In IWD I don't believe there are any enemies that are immune to backstab/sneak attack. If there are it's only a few. So that in itself makes shadow dancers pretty nasty I would think. But I've never played one either for the same reason you mentioned.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    In IWDEE its actually very underpowered when it comes to backstabbing. The reason being enemies in Icewind Dale are numerous (and come in swarms) and you are restricted to 1 backstab/round. For the first 4 levels you don't even do backstab damage (and very little sneak attack damage). Your Thac0 generally sucks as well (keeping in mind that you only get 1 chance/round to do damage).

Personally I've used mine for distracting enemies. That and moving my character in front of enemy characters so that they take longer to get to my group. But its biggest strength in BGEE and BG2EE (the ability to hide just before a spell is cast to cause disruption) doesn't get as much use in IWDEE. They also don't get the late game HLA's to give it something of benefit at higher levels.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It is for balance, but it isn't to balance any of the other "broken" classes it is to balance out the thief kits.

For a single player game with a mulitplayer function that doesn't really support PvP or PvE, that is the only balancing that is needed.

If shadowdancer didn't have the backstab nerf, why would you play any other thief kit?
    To set traps?
    To use poison?
    To pretend to be a fighter with no backstabbing ability at all?

Each kit is suppose to add a different flavour or element to the game that no other kit in its class provides.

When the Shadowdancer was first being introduced, they said if you were attempting to use it as a backstabbing machine, you were using it wrong. It was suppose to be a viable scout, one that would be able to reposition itself in battle with both its hide in plain sight and shadow step ability if needed. It wasn't being introduced to replace the assassin which was the backstabbing master (and still is). That is why the nerf to backstab was introduced.

No other kit has its main ability taken away until a late level either, so why would that be a suitable nerf for the Shadowdancer? Same with dualling. And its core mechanic isn't backstabbing, it is hiding, that is what it excels at and the two are not exclusive to each other.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The thing is the Shadowdancer is not overpowered. But to play with a not overpowered character is fun. The Shadowdancer has its weaknesses (inability to set a trap), has its flaws (too little thieving points to distribute) but the Shadowdancer also has its own tricks (with a solid number of DEX and thieving skills increasing items in the game this character very quickly can hide nearly always).

And the monsters in IWDEE, they usually don't see invisible characters. You can easily explore every location being invisible. No "Detect Illusion" or "True Sight" constantly casted aroud by enemies in IWDEE, compared to BG. So the Shadowdancer is a good character, he can flourish when having high HiS/MS skills.

Not overpowered but still fine.
    I definitely do think Shadowdancer is fairly weak compared to the other thieving kits, but as for the weaker backstab multiplier? Totally justifiable, because of HiPS. People don't seem to realize how OP that ability is in 3e; to the point where minimum level requirements were made in NWN multiplayer servers because you only needed one level of Shadowdancer to use HiPS and just stealth any time you're spotted by opponents. And that game didn't give sneak attack nerfs to Shadowdancers either!

I think by not letting them lay traps AND having a lower thief point distribution is what kills it, honestly. Really when I tried it out in BG2EE I said to myself "this is the backstabbing tutorial kit..."; but I never thought it was *too* weak because the ability to stealth at any time is AWESOME. Any other class/kit attempting stealth? They have to run around a corner out of enemy sight and attempt to stealth, or quaff an invisibility potion. All Shadowdancers have to do is click a damn button.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's also worth noting that the 3rd edition shadowdancer doesn't get any sneek attack progression. Many have sneek attack from rogue levels, but the original concept was intended for bards, monks and rangers as well (perform skill is a requirement).
    edited November 2014
    As far as I can see the opinions on how strong or weak Shadowdancers are in IWD:EE differ widely.

That's not really the point I was making though, maybe I should have re-phrased my opening post a bit to make it more clear.

The whole class 'Shadowdancer' is built around backstab and sneak attack. Every unique trait they have, HIPS especially of course, gives you tools for it. Some people think that's too strong, some people think Shadowdancers are even weak, but it doesn't matter.

What I'm wondering is why they would give one of the prime backstabbing classes the disadvantage of being less proficient at backstabbing *instead* of something else. The only argument I've heard so far is that Shadowdancers don't get any sneak attack progression in 3rd edition. But then again you only need 1 level of Shadowdancer to grab HIPS and can then go back to Rogue or whatever. http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowdancer

@Stratosj: ;D Not sure if I'm gonna accept that and move on but at least you're answering the question. I appreciate that.
    MrGoodkat said:

As far as I can see the opinions on how strong or weak Shadowdancers are in IWD:EE differ widely.

That's not really the point I was making though, maybe I should have re-phrased my opening post a bit to make it more clear.

The whole class 'Shadowdancer' is built around backstab and sneak attack. Every unique trait they have, HIPS especially of course, gives you tools for it. Some people think that's too strong, some people think Shadowdancers are even weak, but it doesn't matter.

What I'm wondering is why they would give one of the prime backstabbing classes the disadvantage of being less proficient at backstabbing *instead* of something else. The only argument I've heard so far is that Shadowdancers don't get any sneak attack progression in 3rd edition. But then again you only need 1 level of Shadowdancer to grab HIPS and can then go back to Rogue or whatever. http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowdancer

@Stratosj: ;D Not sure if I'm gonna accept that and move on but at least you're answering the question. I appreciate that.

See my earlier post. Conceptually, Shadowdancer was never "built around backstab and sneak attack". That is how players have (ab)used it, but the concept was one of a dancer who could manipulate the shadow plane.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    I see the merits of the argument, but if they had a normal backstab multiplier, they would go from being a fun utility thief to the best kit in the game. There would be no reason to use a normal thief or an assassin, and their higher stat minimums actually help them. I think my thief has the second highest stat total in my party, after my Paladin.

If you want a Shadow dancer to do massive damage, dual him to a Fighter at level 13 and get grand mastery in long swords. Or dual him to a mage and cast Black Blade of Disaster (if you can backstab with it).

My Shadow Dancer 10 -> Mage basically has free invisibility whenever he wants it, and the ability to instantly reposition himself on the battlefield twice per day. Shadowstep is more useful than Absolute Immunity because of that. You can shadow step, hide (which will render spells cast directly at you ineffective), and then cast another spell. Or backstab, Chromatic Orb (ie stun) and then disappear. Oh and you get evasion. Surrounded by enemies? Cast sunfire and then vanish. Then backstab one of them and Chromatic Orb his friend.

Frankly I don't take full advantage of that character!
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    The original OP has mention what he sees as a problem. But I'd like to see some alternative suggestions instead of 'I don't like how it is.'
    How would you disadvantage the kit other than to alter the backstab multiplier?
    Limit weapons to daggers and short swords? What other ideas would be viable?
    Ligg said:

The original OP has mention what he sees as a problem. But I'd like to see some alternative suggestions instead of 'I don't like how it is.'

It doesn't need "alternative suggestions" because it aint broke. The OP has failed to understand what the class is about, which is mobility and scouting.
    edited November 2014
    Ligg said:

Weapon limitations is a good idea. I listed some other things off the top of my head in an earlier post in this thread, maybe you skipped it. You could make Shadowdancers unable to dual-class for example or make HIPS available at later levels only. Another possibility would be to make HIPS an active ability with uses per day like Assassin's poison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If you where going to pull and replace the shadowdancer kit, I would try to get closer to the original intent.

Firstly, make it a Bard kit. Give it invisibility as a class ability, usable once per day for every three levels (because bards don't have stealth); retain the shadowstep ability; give it increased movement speed like monks; give it a Summon Shadow ability, based on the totemic druid summons. Drawbacks: half lore; only sing the first bard song; can only learn spells as if they where illusionists.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Extract this into your override folder and edit the shadowdancer backstab multiplier to whatever you want. Best use something like Notepad++ as the file details all 50 levels.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    As a complete fan of the Shadowdancer kit, I can tell you it's the most OP and broken character versus any foes that cannot see through invisibility. Which means that versus anything that isn't a Lich, a Demon, or a ToB boss, you are strictly invincible if you play well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    If you use EEKeeper you can get the regular thief backstab multiplyer. Pretty sure you just need to create a true class thief, then change the kit to shadowdancer. Even after leveling you'll have the thief mulltiplyer and HiPS.

Not 100% on this, but it worked that way when I made a multiclass Fighter/Shadowdancer.
    edited November 2014

Fardragon said:

If you where going to pull and replace the shadowdancer kit, I would try to get closer to the original intent.

Firstly, make it a Bard kit.

GENIUS. It makes tons of sense as a bard kit - shadow... DANCER! Is that really what it was in PnP? If so, I wonder why the Song & Silence mod made it a thief kit?

How about a bard with: Invisibility; backstab (!), and Summon Shadow; but only the basic bard song, and one fewer spell per level. I could code that up.

Maybe edit the vanilla Shadowdancer to be some kind of "Vanisher" kit, with no backstab, no thief skills, no NUTHIN' except HIPS. Basically Viekang, but with invisibility instead of teleportation.
    http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowdancer
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Shadowdancer
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shadowdancer_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shadowdancer,_Tome_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)
    http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowdancer,_Tome_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

The way I see it it could work as a bard kit as well as a thief kit. According to at least some sources they are supposed to gain sneak attacks by themselves.

You could go for a Bard kit with:
    - Shadow Door 1x per day every 3 levels starting at level 3
    - Sneak attack progression like a thief of the same level
    - Summon Shadow 1x per day starting at level 5 and every 5 levels thereafter
    - something along the lines of Slippery Mind/Evasion/Uncanny Dodge
    - only basic bard song
    - cannot use pickpocket
    - slower spell progression and/or NO dual-classing since it's basically already a combination of two classes: Bard and Shadowdancer

Wait... can you even dual class bards? ;D
    edited November 2014

Fardragon said:

Firstly, make it a Bard kit.

GENIUS. It makes tons of sense as a bard kit - shadow... DANCER! Is that really what it was in PnP? If so, I wonder why the Song & Silence mod made it a thief kit?
    It's what it was in 3rd edition, which is the first time it appeared in the core rulebooks.

"Operating in the border between light and darkness, shadowdancers are nimble artists of deception. They are mysterious and unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder when met. Rogues, bards, and monks make excellent shadowdancers. Fighters, barbarians, rangers, and paladins also find that shadowdancer abilities allow them to strike at their opponents with surprise and skill. Wizard, sorcerer, cleric, and druid shadowdancers employ the defensive capabilities inherent in the prestige class to allow them to cast their spells from safety and move away quickly. Despite their link with shadows and trickery, shadowdancers are as often good as evil."

It's worth noting that in 3.5 high level assassins get HIPS: that sounds more like what the OP is looking for.