Skip to content

Mage or Fighter/Mage?

Hi everyone,

Here's my personal conflict. Since I plan on playing through the whole serie, I want to make sure I am a 100% happy with my protagonist selection. I have read a lot about F/M endgame power and so forth. I am not a powergamer so my protagonist selection will not be based on that criteria. On the other hand, I feel like playing a magic user type character is not only story Wise, but it will also fill a niche not so strongly filled by NPC (good alignment in mind).

So, I am tempted by the F/M flexibility and fun-to-play aspects, but I wonder if they will become only magically-tanked character with no real from-the-rear mage support and offensive output. I would love to have another fighter (mainly if it is my protagonist) ravaging into the mob with magicla defense, but maybe the magical price is too high? I feel that in a good party, a straight mage might be the way to go to have the complete magical output necessary for endgame content...

I would like to have your opinion on the subject. knowing that both character type will please me, it's more a long term party viability matter.

Regards,

Comments

• alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Either would be viable. Fighter/Mages are beasts. Though pure mages can essentially summon fighters later in the game.

Personally I'd go for a pure mage, as Fighter/Mages are a little Mary Sue.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    It sounds to me like a F/M would suit you well. They are very flexible and can be built in all sorts of ways.

If you want to be more of caster, then you might consider dual-class.

If you want all around utility without the downtime headache of the dual, then multiclass may work better. However, you will not have level 8 and 9 spells until very late in the game with the multi. But of course the NPCs can supply those for the party.
  • RagnarrRagnarr Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2014
    Thanks to all!

My main concern was that I feel that with the canon party, I will not get much magic power besides Imoen who will spend most of BG2 elsewere! I havent play BG2 much and never played ToB but I feel that magic is deep and very important to get through this game (big battles) later on. I know the F/M is powerful but is it enough with only Imoen as the other non cleric magic user?

Have you already decided on the NPCs? If so, which ones?

I've played with Aerie as the sole arcane caster until getting Imoen and don't remember any particular difficulties, so you should be just fine with the F/M.
  • RagnarrRagnarr Member Posts: 24
    Well, I thought about Keldorn, Jaheira, Minsc, Anomen, Imoen and my protagonist........like I said, this is base on different reading I made.
    That sounds like a very strong party that covers all the bases. I agree that a mage or a /mage would be ideal for the protagonist with that lineup. A bard might fit in well also, if you wanted do something different.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Very divine heavy party, and very fighter heavy, I would go pure mage or MAYBE a bard. A skald would make your fighters much more effective until you get the Improved Bard Song, then you might as well be a blade.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Edit: nevermind I misread something
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, Gnome I/T is good fit.

Go with female, call her Jen Jensen, and write stories about her fondness for rutabagas.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Any Gnome character will do you well!

I do like a an Illusionist / Theif... But don't be afraid to go Assassin... A sassy gnome, as I always say, is great to play with!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I see what you did there.