Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Weapon styles

Hi all. I'm just starting an IWD:EE play through with a few dual wielders. I'm after some recommendations for weapon style, especially for my KenSage, as she'll be taking one weapon to GM as soon as she can.

I'm not that interested at this stage in particular items as I want to play through fairly blind, but won't cry over spoilers.

Cheers!

«1

Comments

  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Are you looking for recommendations for weapon styles or for types of weapon?
    If your kensage will dual wield, the best weapon is definitely long sword.
    I liked very much flails, but there are very good axes and bastard swords too.

    Your kensage won't be able tu use any (and I really mean any) ranged weapon, but for other characters, the best weapons are long bows, even if there're few magic arrows.
    An half orc with 19 strenght using a sling it's a good one, since there are many good slings, and there's a place where you can buy unlimited bullets +2.

    If you're asking for weapon styles other than dual wielding, I recommend single weapon style.
    Sword and shield is almost useless, since there are few enemies with ranged weapons (Using a shield is ok, but wasting point in sword and shield style isn't).
    Two handed weapon style is ok, but two handed weapons should be more powerful than single handed weapons, and they are not!

    ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    I think the weapon choice ladder is something like:
    1st: Flail
    2nd: Longsword
    3rd: Flail (there's enough good flails for two characters)
    4th: Mace, Axe, Bastard Sword
    5th: everything else ...

    Don't use 2 handed weapons.
    Don't GM in Katana, Scimitar, Dagger ...

    PibaroJuliusBorisovelminster
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Ahead of maces, axes and bastard swords should be hammers and daggers. there are lots of good ones.

    jackjack
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    The daggers in this game are indeed amazing iirc. I've sold all of them in my current run because I don't have a dagger user but afaik you get daggers as high as +5 THAC0 super early in the game.

    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    Fardragon said:

    Ahead of maces, axes and bastard swords should be hammers and daggers. there are lots of good ones.

    Which ones?
    Three White Doves, Axe of the Minotaur Lord and Incinerator +3 really take the cake for those 3 weapon choices you want pushed down.

  • BohimiyaBohimiya Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Yes i looking for recommendations for weapon styles or for types of weapon?

    Pibaro can you help me...?


    You can easily check out our high quality [url=http://www.braindumps.com/700-501.htm]Braindumps.com[/url] which prepares you well for the real [url=http://www.braindumps.com/646-365.htm]646-365[/url] You can also get success in real [url=http://www.ciis.edu/]ciis.edu[/url] exam with the quality [url=http://www.hodges.edu/]hodges[/url] and [url=http://www.quincy.edu/]www.quincy.edu[/url] .

    Post edited by Bohimiya on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Wowo said:

    Fardragon said:

    Ahead of maces, axes and bastard swords should be hammers and daggers. there are lots of good ones.

    Which ones?
    Three White Doves, Axe of the Minotaur Lord and Incinerator +3 really take the cake for those 3 weapon choices you want pushed down.
    Whilst those are all powerful items, they aren't available until late on. Having an awesome weapon at the end of the game is fine, but for 90% of your time you will be without it. there is a dearth of good axes prior to chapter 4, and bastard swords are sparse throughout the game. Decent daggers are plentiful, and you can get Conlan's hammer (which can damage any foe) in chapter 1.

    ShikaoelminsterjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Depends on what your other melee characters are focusing on and if they are dual wielding or not.

    My party is dual wielding
    1. axes
    2. Flails/Morning Stars
    3. Scimitars
    4. Longswords

    Scimitars kind of weak but my Human F/D has two +4 at least. Plenty of +3 and +4 flails. 2 +4 longswords extra attack in HOW.

    But I have seen plenty of +3 and +4 shortswords around. I jumped into HOW and Totl once Chapter 2 started. Right after the Vale and that quick Temple.


  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    Fardragon said:

    Wowo said:

    Fardragon said:

    Ahead of maces, axes and bastard swords should be hammers and daggers. there are lots of good ones.

    Which ones?
    Three White Doves, Axe of the Minotaur Lord and Incinerator +3 really take the cake for those 3 weapon choices you want pushed down.
    Whilst those are all powerful items, they aren't available until late on. Having an awesome weapon at the end of the game is fine, but for 90% of your time you will be without it. there is a dearth of good axes prior to chapter 4, and bastard swords are sparse throughout the game. Decent daggers are plentiful, and you can get Conlan's hammer (which can damage any foe) in chapter 1.
    Those 3 items come from the expansions which you can do from level 9. I guess how far into the game that is depends on difficulty, on my HoF level 1 party it was shortly after being able to access Dragons Eye.

  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Because HoF completely screws up any sense of progression and balance. It's also irrelevant. You don't play HoF unless you have played through the game properly first. If you have already played through the game, you don't come to the forum asking which weapons to pick, since you will already know what is available. People playing the game properly won't go to the expansion areas until at least chapter 5 - around two thirds of the way through the game.

    JuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,087
    @Fardragon: I've played HoF from the start, and went to HoW after Dragon's Eye. Do I need to worry about improper behavior? What should I do to absolve myself?

    PibaroMrGoodkatby_the_sword
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,658
    @Lord_Tansheron You must be submerged in the Pit of Hyperactive Sugar Gliders. After that, narfle the Garthok.

    jackjacksmeagolheart
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,028
    In fairness, I think Fardragon's point on HoF was less "you cannot start a new party in HoF" and more "whether importing to starting a new party, no one's playing HoF before they, the player, have gone through the game at least once." I certainly feel that that's a safe assumption, although feel free to correct me if it's not (in which case, much respect).

    Now, as for the expansions... I don't really see *why* you'd do them that early, as that gives the game a really weird difficulty curve, but whatever. Play how you want, it certainly doesn't matter to me. The point here is less whether you can do the expansions that early, and more whether it's reasonable to expect you to. And I would argue that, given the difficulty of the expansions relative to the base game, it's ridiculous to expect a player to play them before the late-game. Hence, Fardragon's concerns about the viability of certain weapon types, despite them being well-represented in the expansions.

    elminsterAbel
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    Jarrakul said:

    In fairness, I think Fardragon's point on HoF was less "you cannot start a new party in HoF" and more "whether importing to starting a new party, no one's playing HoF before they, the player, have gone through the game at least once." I certainly feel that that's a safe assumption, although feel free to correct me if it's not (in which case, much respect).

    Now, as for the expansions... I don't really see *why* you'd do them that early, as that gives the game a really weird difficulty curve, but whatever. Play how you want, it certainly doesn't matter to me. The point here is less whether you can do the expansions that early, and more whether it's reasonable to expect you to. And I would argue that, given the difficulty of the expansions relative to the base game, it's ridiculous to expect a player to play them before the late-game. Hence, Fardragon's concerns about the viability of certain weapon types, despite them being well-represented in the expansions.

    3 white doves is purchasable and there's no reason not to duck into the expansion to have a look around and pick it up as soon as it can be afforded.

    And yes, I've never played IWD before and my first run was with a level 1 HoF party ... I think it's a form of masochism.

    In the end though I'll probably pause my run at the end of the expansions until I've progressed along in the multiplayer game I'm running with my housemate as it's fun discovering the game together as first timers.

    ShikaoelminsterRAM021
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

    @Fardragon: I've played HoF from the start, and went to HoW after Dragon's Eye. Do I need to worry about improper behavior? What should I do to absolve myself?

    Do as you please, but it's a shame to miss out on an excellent game in order to play a broken botched mess.

  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    Fardragon said:

    @Fardragon: I've played HoF from the start, and went to HoW after Dragon's Eye. Do I need to worry about improper behavior? What should I do to absolve myself?

    Do as you please, but it's a shame to miss out on an excellent game in order to play a broken botched mess.
    Forums are great for judging other people.

    ShikaoCaptRoryRAM021Elrandir
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Wowo said:

    Fardragon said:

    @Fardragon: I've played HoF from the start, and went to HoW after Dragon's Eye. Do I need to worry about improper behavior? What should I do to absolve myself?

    Do as you please, but it's a shame to miss out on an excellent game in order to play a broken botched mess.
    Forums are great for judging other people.
    I'm not judging people, I'm judging HoF mode.

    jackjacksubtledoctor
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2014
    Wowo said:

    Jarrakul said:

    In fairness, I think Fardragon's point on HoF was less "you cannot start a new party in HoF" and more "whether importing to starting a new party, no one's playing HoF before they, the player, have gone through the game at least once." I certainly feel that that's a safe assumption, although feel free to correct me if it's not (in which case, much respect).

    Now, as for the expansions... I don't really see *why* you'd do them that early, as that gives the game a really weird difficulty curve, but whatever. Play how you want, it certainly doesn't matter to me. The point here is less whether you can do the expansions that early, and more whether it's reasonable to expect you to. And I would argue that, given the difficulty of the expansions relative to the base game, it's ridiculous to expect a player to play them before the late-game. Hence, Fardragon's concerns about the viability of certain weapon types, despite them being well-represented in the expansions.

    3 white doves is purchasable and there's no reason not to duck into the expansion to have a look around and pick it up as soon as it can be afforded.
    If you play the game with a six man party on core rules, you can't "jump into the expansion" until quite late in the game (around chapter 4), because of the 250KXP requirement.
    And yes, I've never played IWD before and my first run was with a level 1 HoF party ... I think it's a form of masochism.
    How very sad. There are lots of ways of being masochistic (no rerolling stats or min-maxing, no reaload, solo wizard slayers, halfling kensai etc) without completely destroying the game balance.

  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Yea HOF allows you to enter HOW much much sooner. Honestly the only super hard thing in HOF from level 1 is the first Orc/goblin/ogre cave.

    But jumping to HOW as soon as you can the burial island is extremely difficult and a good challenge. Your party is still ill equipped and under leveled. Some fights took me 45 minutes. I couldn't do more than 1 damage to drowned dead and often there were a dozen of them.

    But a couple of quests in early HOW basically give you 840k exp.

    And you can kind of skip actually doing HOW. But go there to buy weapons and pick pocket. You can just sneak or invis on island to get amulet in tombs and meet barbarian to whirlwind you back to IWD. you will only have to do some real basic quests to get there.

    I ran to him with 2 dozen drowned dead chasing me. He asks want to go back hell yes.

    AbelShikao
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2014
    That's the other problem with HoF mode. Because you earn xp so quickly, apart from the very beginning, it isn't actually more difficult (and in some places easier) than playing on core rules.

    Much eariler access to powerful weapons is one case in point.

    Post edited by Fardragon on
    jackjackkensai
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Fardragon said:

    That's the other problem with HoF mode. Because you earn xp so quickly, apart from the very beginning, it isn't actually more difficult (and in some places easier) than playing on core rules.

    Much eariler access to powerful weapons is one case in point.

    Agree, then I met Belhifet my party already has whirlwinds and deva summon without how and totl.Prertty ridiculous, but still a very hard fight.

  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    kensai said:

    Fardragon said:

    That's the other problem with HoF mode. Because you earn xp so quickly, apart from the very beginning, it isn't actually more difficult (and in some places easier) than playing on core rules.

    Much eariler access to powerful weapons is one case in point.

    Agree, then I met Belhifet my party already has whirlwinds and deva summon without how and totl.Prertty ridiculous, but still a very hard fight.
    HLAs in IWD is cheating ...

  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Wowo said:


    HLAs in IWD is cheating ...

    Am I guilty because I'm playing in hof?:)

  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    kensai said:

    Wowo said:


    HLAs in IWD is cheating ...

    Am I guilty because I'm playing in hof?:)
    It's impossible to get HLAs in IWDEE without cheating.

    does seem really rather counter-productive to play in a (really bad) "hard mode" then have to edit your characters to give them superpowers in order to beat it!

    subtledoctor
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Fardragon said:

    It's impossible to get HLAs in IWDEE without cheating.

    does seem really rather counter-productive to play in a (really bad) "hard mode" then have to edit your characters to give them superpowers in order to beat it!

    I would rather say: 'It's impossible to get HLAs in IWDEE without modding', unless you consider moddding as cheating.

    Though, I agree that HLAs in IWDEE just oozes cheese.

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 18,805
    I support what @Fardragon‌ is saying about not starting HoW in your first IWD run. It's very hard to stop going through the main quest: different characters here and there tell you that the faster you find the reason of Kuldahar's and later Severed Hand's problems, the better.

    To me, the IWD plotline looks like a hunt for the main enemy. I just can't stop hunting because it could result in a dangerous situation for the whole world.

    In my case, accepting Hjollder's plea after I'd reached Lower Dorn's Deep was made deliberately in order not to miss the HoW content.

    Shikaojackjack
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    bengoshi said:

    I support what @Fardragon‌ is saying about not starting HoW in your first IWD run. It's very hard to stop going through the main quest: different characters here and there tell you that the faster you find the reason of Kuldahar's and later Severed Hand's problems, the better.

    To me, the IWD plotline looks like a hunt for the main enemy. I just can't stop hunting because it could result in a dangerous situation for the whole world.

    In my case, accepting Hjollder's plea after I'd reached Lower Dorn's Deep was made deliberately in order not to miss the HoW content.

    RP wise a fair motivation is simply not having any other choice than to figure out what's going on. Hjollder gives you a choice, a method to get out, if you help him out first.

    HLAs are stupid to have. Blatantly unnecessary and OP. Maybe in the future TTT will be made and it will be possible to give enemies and party members HLAs, that would possibly be awesome.

    jackjack
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    No cheating in single player as long as you get your entertainment value from it. Its your dollar.

    Time to pop out the Game Jeanie and go to town

    CaptRoryShikaoby_the_swordathanas
Sign In or Register to comment.