Skip to content

What do you think would be a fair price for Siege of Dragonspear?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Note: this poll is only about the most expensive version of Adventure Y i.e. the PC version. Android and iOS versions are generally cheaper.

Edit: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-siege-of-dragonspear/artikel/siege_of_dragonspear,51968,3233354,fazit.html tells us the price will be around $20.
  1. What do you think would be a fair price for Siege of Dragonspear?270 votes
    1. 1-2 USD
        1.11%
    2. 3-4 USD
        0.37%
    3. 5-6 USD
        2.59%
    4. 7-8 USD
        2.96%
    5. 9-10 USD
      25.19%
    6. 11-12 USD
        4.07%
    7. 13-14 USD
        1.85%
    8. 15-16 USD
      18.89%
    9. 17 USD or more (for e.g., 20 USD as a round number)
      41.11%
    10. I won't buy this expansion/game or I'm not interested
        1.85%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    the laptop i have with me at uni is really basic, IE games are the best games i can play(i can play better graphics but not much with a good story). I'll be buying adventure y no matter the cost.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Im suprised @elminster isnt interested in this?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Im suprised @elminster isnt interested in this?

You'll note that I "agreed" with Booinyoureyes comment. This just happened to be the closest thing to an "i don't know" option.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    ahh okay, I agree as well... But I just didnt vote :p
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    For a full game, ~20 is completely fair.

If it's just an expansion to existing games, obviously less would be appropriate.

I have no problems whatsoever with paying for good products, and given that IWD:EE was quite well-done my confidence in the company is high enough to do it gladly.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    yeaaa. i'm not voting till I know what it is.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    It would be hard for me to say at this point. So much is unknown. One of the big factors that would influence me in what I would be willing to pay is the unknown, expansion or stand alone game. A stand alone thing like the Black Pits would hold a lot less interest for me then an expansion covering some events between BGI and BGII.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Any new items introduced in Adventure Y will not carry over into BG2 due to the opening where you lose all your stuff. If they do carry over, they can be easily unlocked or modded into BG2 So new items, IMO, shouldn't effect the price.

Length of the adventure as well as any exclusive kits would be the driving factor in price.
    It's a DLC so I'd price it as 50 cents per hour of main story game play, 25 cents per hour of subquest game play, $1 per new exclusive kit offered +1.

So if it is a 6 hour main plot playtime with a few (lets say 4) subquests and a 3 new kits, it'd be $8.

Regardless of what is in the game, it shouldn't be more than half the price of the original release. so 8 to 10 dollars.
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    I'll pay whatever they want.

Take my money!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'd say a free pizza is a fair price. Two if the expansion adds a romanceable, non-humanoid monster NPC.
  • €13.75 or more
    basicly what @deltago‌ said but with double numbers.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    $10-$15 sounds reasonable to me, depending on its length.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Given what I know about it thus far, I'd pay 8 bucks for it.
  • @wubble‌ you British lad, keep of my ale... *Hick*
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508

the unknown, expansion or stand alone game. A stand alone thing like the Black Pits would hold a lot less interest for me then an expansion covering some events between BGI and BGII.

oh. I did not even consider "standalone" like that. I was thinking more like standalone is a separate game download still featuring the bg1 characters, allowing import of bgee final save, and it's own export of final save into bg2ee.

And expansion would be a downloadable content for bgee (like appstore) that would continue the game within bgee actually.

• HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    At 50-60€ I would maybe start to raise a eyebrow, so I'm not worried.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    bengoshi said:

BGEE's price is 19.99 USD. This is a full game with huge re-play value. We have 4 new NPCs there (although their stories are not long and detailed if compared to BG2EE).

BG2EE's price is 24.95 USD. This is even a bigger game with huge re-play value as well. We have 5 new NPCs with more detailed stories. We have ToB.

So to me, setting a similar price for an expansion (or a game that will have a limited storyline if compared to BGEE and BG2EE) seems wrong.

While I basically agree with everything you say, I just love BG so much that I would still be willing to pay around $20 even for just a simple "expansion."
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    I set a preliminary price of $10. I don't see why Ios should be cheaper but there you go.

I also think the price point is hugely dependant on average content size. For a 6 - 10 hour story I would pay $10 potentially more depending on what the content is (short and sweet could win me over)
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Specifically $20 sounds pretty good to me as a price, less if it is the length and scope of the original Black Pits (I'll call that $5 or so), more if it has an enormous world full of side quests and voice acting (a la Baldur's Gate, for which I would pay $40 to $60 because I've probably spent well over 500 hours playing various installations of Baldur's Gate). Based on my guess of what little we know, I'm going with $20 for now, though realistically I'm so happy about my character Veraka that any new expansion (or game where I could import her) is probably going to get purchased.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I will gladly pay $15 or more for some original BG related content. If it is more, I'll buy it, but the $15 range seems decent.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

It is impossible to say at this point, since they have not given the "estimated play time" figures yet.

It does seem to be quite the story when you consider the background they gave, so it will hopefully be a bit longer than, say, Trials of the Luremaster or Watcher's Keep. I will buy it no matter what, but determining what I consider to be a fair price (though, really, a "fair price" is whatever people are willing to spend) is difficult without knowing how expansive the game will be.

Now we have finally got the answer on this subject:

Adventure Y has shaped up to be larger than ToTSC but not quite the size of ToB.

So, what do people think with the new information available? Does it change your estimation? Are you ready to give your opinion?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited February 2015
    As for me, I've expected that size of the Adventure Y. I think it's entirely the size that could be the best for such a project - not big so that the quality of the writing and the quests would be solid and not small so that people wouldn't complain they get too little.

So I still find the price of approximately 9.99 USD to be fair.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    With the information I have now, I am ready to vote. :)

I think around 10 USD sounds about right. Though truthfully, I might pay a bit more if I keep hearing such promising news as I have been. I am looking forward to this with increasing anticipation!
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2015
    It all comes down to how interested i am in what they are offering, I could pay 50 USD if it was a game i was interested in.

So it's very hit or miss for me, i'll pay for it because it's a good game, or i won't get it at all, price isn't important for me.