Skip to content

Your favorite Heroes of Might and Magic 3 faction

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I want to change my vote to Dungeon-if-I-can-seize-a-Fortress-early-on. It's just too tempting... "Good luck shines of The Beholders". Screw you, Vorlons.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

Why not start with a Fortress in the first place? :o

Because I can't play my main man Geon then. :P

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    also love rampart and stronghold. Hate inferno, fortress and necropolis.

i'm a bit of a goody two-shoes in games :/

but my favorite creatures are Titans. They are just so badass.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    bengoshi said:

Maybe we should try a multiplayer next week :)

Any news about this ?
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I don't have a particular one so it depends.

Castle + Adela(basic diplomacy...)
    Rampart + Alagar(frost bolt)
    Dungeon + Jeditte(resurrection)
    Tower + Solmyr(chain lightning)
    Necropolis + a hero with either animate dead, or necromancy
    and so on..

are pretty op.
    I have a little performance issue. Maybe someone can help. So, the scrolling speed on the maps is WAY too fast, and it irritates the hell out of me. I set the hero movement speed to the lowest, so it's not a problem as long as I walk a hero. It's just when I don't have one selected, like to scroll over to a city (I don't own, especially) on the other end of the map - or worse, the middle - BAAAAAAAAAAAAM, the map scrolls too fast. What do I do? Other older games also run a bit fast (like Colonization), but not this fast. It's really annoying on larger maps, but I'm not sure what setting to change. HALP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Djimmy said:

I don't have a particular one so it depends.

Castle + Adela(basic diplomacy...)
    Rampart + Alagar(frost bolt)
    Dungeon + Jeditte(resurrection)
    Tower + Solmyr(chain lightning)
    Necropolis + a hero with either animate dead, or necromancy
    and so on..

are pretty op.

When I play Tower it is +Solmyr... not because of chain lightning, but because he looks awesome
    Shandyr said:

^ Hmm sorry I don't know :/
    I've never encountered that problem with HoMM (I'm playing HoMM3 complete from GOG on Win 7)

I know that some older games tie certain things ingame to how fast the CPU is, which is a speed-overkill for old computer games on modern machines.

There are some programs out there that can artificially slow down your CPU. I had to do that once for Quest for Glory 4.

Same thing here, GOG, HOMM3, Win 7. The Colonization I play is the "re-mastered" (something?) version that came with Civilization IV Ultimate Edition (expansions + Col). I assume the re-release with a newer Civ is the reason I don't have the problem with Col.

I was thinking about slowing down the CPU (or allow less to be used), but that would change everything, including combat, city view and all, where I have no issues.

Oh well. Might start HOMM5 instead. Can still haz HYDRA, and the orcs are much better.

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Also,

Oh well. Might start HOMM5 instead. Can still haz HYDRA, and the orcs are much better.

Speaking of HOMM5, don't forget the dwarves.
    OH yes, my man Helmar!
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2014
    My excitement turned into disappointment when it was said that the HD Edition does not include either expansions, which means no Conflux town and no random map generator. Other recent HD rereleases (BG, BG2, IWD, AOE2, AOM, RON) all include their respective game's expansions.

Apparently, Ubisoft only found the source code for the vanilla Restoration of Erathia from NWC's archives. DotEmu is doing the port, not sure of their track record.
    Post edited by Pekingduckman on
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2014
    Screenshots:

• Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    @Pekingduckman‌ That does suck, really hope they have plans to include them later
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,736
    edited December 2014
    Hail Hydra HD Lifting!

The most pleasant fact, to me, is HOMM3 will now be available at iOS and Android tablets!
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    My personal rating would probably look like this:

1 Necro is my all-time favourite. Getting a huge stack of Vamps, buffing them with retaliation, stone skin and whatnot and having them crush an entire army by themselves is very satisfying. Or just bruteforcing everything with skeletons. And don't even get me started on SoD!

2 I actually enjoy playing Fortress, especially with Tazar on high-level XL maps. Very slow units with a lot of 2-tiled ones, but oh boy should you pray when they get close to you, and that's where water magic comes in. Ever seen a Chaos Hydra behind the castle walls? Death and decay aplently! Oh, and those Mighty gorgons… unstoppable engines of dragon, behemoth and titan molestation, just too good.

3 Castle has almost everything: brilliant heroes (Sir Mullich, anyone?), stables, extremely good units in all tiers, especially Archangels, probably the best unit in the game, definitely the best in vanilla.

4 Conflux. It apparently has it all: nice heroes, access to all the magic schools from essentially the get-go, hordes of very fast flying level one units with no retaliation, two ranged units and the fastest unit in the game.

5 Inferno lacks heroes that I find fitting to my playstyle, but stacking demons is still a good pastime. And the Efreeti sultans and Archdevils are just stupidly awesome.

6 Dungeon is very enjoyable and extremely powerful, but I detest having magic immunity on my units. No resurrection is a bummer. However, with effectively three ranged units, and Minotaur kings that obliterate everything silly enough to get in their way, it's probably easy to forgive them that little drawback.

7 Stronghold is too squishy for my taste. I do like the Behemoths with their armour reduction, and the Cyclopes' siege skills are just lovely.

8 Rampart is a strong castle, I know. But I only like it as a target for my conquests, since the jewdwarves in the treasury don't really care who to work for.

9 Tower: meh. Has some great perks and heroes, but the units are bland. Although the Master Gremlin rush is still a classic.
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    Necrons... ummm no... (sorry my brain fuzzled out.) So "the danse macabre" belling feels the same at Undertakers Soundtrack...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    I loved Dungeon, it had the most iconic dnd monsters as units. It was pretty balanced, versatile with beholders and medusas as shooters that have no melee penalty thus equally good at melee, with good specials. Harpy hags are fast and good with hit-run tactics, bless spell really makes them killers. Minotaur kings ravaged everything they could touch, and scorpicores were fast, efficient flyers with high damage and paralysis. And black dragon was just strong. I also looked how the town looked, like a cool underground cave. Seemed very relaxing and calm.

I played with magic heroes exclusively, those guys who started with either ressurection or meteor shower were my picks generally. Resurrection was nice with master earth magic, as I hated losing units. Starting with meteor shower a very good blasting spell, was nice too. Dungeon magic heroes, warlocks, excel at spell power, while their counterparts wizards from tower have knowledge. Thus warlocks spells are more powerful, doing more damage. I loved that and built my spell power as high as I could. Knowledge is nice and all but there are many ways to replenish mana points in the map. Earth magic was the best for permanent resurrection, mass slow and stoneskin to compensate dungeon's low defensive abilities, and town portal spell is ridiculously, game breakingly good with master earth magic.

Here are a few reasons I don't like playing other buildings:

Castle-units are slow and boring. Two shooters but archers are helpless in melee, unlike versatile dungeon shooters. Arch angels are cool, but too little, too late.

Rampart-slowest units like the dendroids and dwarves. That flying pegasu chicks has no purpose in life, really. Overall a very defensive faction with little damage output.

Inferno-Imps are weak. Horned devils suck. Pit lords are nice on paper but never impressed me on the field. Magogs can hurt your own units. Efreets (the upgraded ones) were cool and dangerous, though.

Tower-very expensive units. Very expensive anything. Units are nice. Master genies and naga queens are wonderful, naga queens always do max damage and IIRC enemies cant even reteliate! Has some cool heroes with good specials. Really I love it but they. Are. Expensive!

Fortress-too weak units. Like a joke, really. Mighty gorgon can do some kills but they are not truly reliable. That huge dragonfly unit is the fastest flyer, but overall a very weak unit that has a 'kill me' sign on its forehead as computer ai loves to slaughter them for some reason. Hydra is the biggest joke. Slow. Walker. And not strong enough to compensate! Wizard tower has limited advancement. Heroes are sucky as well. No offense to fans but the whole faction screams like 'we are losers!' to me. In big maps they are often the frist to be eliminated.

Stronghold-units have so low defense and hp they get slaughtered by any good offensive unit or a high powered spell caster hero so easily it is not funny. Behemots are slow walkers. Limited spell casting. All around suckage.

Necropolis-undead is bad morale. Only one shooter which is very expensive. Can have ridiculous amounts of skeletons but what good are they against a worthy opponent? Still good cannon fodder to waste reteliations. Zombies suck. Wights/wraiths are lacking in strength. Vampires are not as ridiculously overpowered like in HoMM 4. (Seriously in the 4th game vampires are even better than the ghost dragons!) dissapointing final creature.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    your assessment is too simplified. slow units like zombies and hydras are great with might heroes who have teleport (and they must have it)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    bob_veng said:

your assessment is too simplified. slow units like zombies and hydras are great with might heroes who have teleport (and they must have it)

Yeah I guess you might be right, these are my experiences and feelings about the game in general. I am not the greatest player, or even a great player, I just found Dungeon to my liking and general playstyle. I simply enjoyed it more than others and these were my reasons.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,736
    lunar said:

I played with magic heroes exclusively, those guys who started with either ressurection or meteor shower were my picks generally.

This is the reason Deemer and Jeddite/Alamar are generally prohibited in the multiplayer games : )

But even without them, the Dungeon is strong. The only problem can occur when you play at 200% difficulty and can't find special resourses to advance further than the building for level 1-2 units.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    bengoshi said:

Hail Hydra HD Lifting!

The most pleasant fact, to me, is HOMM3 will now be available at iOS and Android tablets!

Exactly. I like how such classical games are not only re-worked to look better but ported to platforms like Andriod, IOS etc. Sweet.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,265
    Cove.