Skip to content

If you dug a hole through the earth, where would you end up?

13»

Comments

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    If I dig straight through I end up in the ocean - somewhere very close to the Antipodes Islands . Thats probably how the Island group got it's name. A recent book on the Antipodes was called "Straight Through From London"

Oddly enough if my family dig straight through from their various homes in the Whangarei Heads region, some of them end up in the sea as well ... in Gibraltar.

I've always said to people I live so far from my old home if I move any further away I start getting closer. It doesn't quite apply according to the longitude and latitude, but it's still pretty true as far as air routes are concerned :)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Anduin said:

The answer is Australia. Always.

Dislike the idea that I was lied to as a child and in fact the answer is South of New Zealand, in deep, deep water.

New Australian immigration policy on behalf of our charming leader and his ministers. No mummies allowed.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @CrevsDaak‌ The easy solution is super easy. @TJ_Hooker already noticed the system is a simple harmonic oscillator, so you don't have to solve the system at all, you can just use the properties of SHM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_harmonic_motion
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @FinneousPJ‌
    You are both right and unfair :smile:
    This @CrevsDaak guy is brilliant. Somewhere I read he is still young.
    Two things :
    Either he was taught the "simple" linear oscillator equations out of the blue / with no proof.
    or he is too young and he does not master the math arsenal required to rigorously solve the problem.
    In this second case I am not refering to the equations provided by the wikipedia link : There is a constant which, in fact, is not a physical constant but an approximate value under the assumption of small oscillations.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Musigny Why unfair? I think @CrevsDaak is still in high school and probably lacks the knowledge of differential equations, which is required to solve the equation of motion in this problem.
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    Smack in the middle of the pacific ocean