Skip to content

Christmas Dinner

wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
edited December 2014 in Off-Topic
What are people having for Christmas dinner this year?

I figured this would be a nice Christmas thread for everyone to waste some time on :)
This isn't a debate about what food is the best, except vegetarian which isn't allowed (joke), I'm just curious as to whether people prefer a traditional approach or not.
This counts drinks as well.

For example in my family we never have turkey. We normally have pork, beef or duck(though we have been known to try other things such as veal or venison). The joint is accompanied by all sorts of roasted veg(spuds,carrots, broccoli etc.) we make pig in blankets and have PROPER GRAVY. On boxing day my mum also cooks a ham joint glazed in orange (a tradition in my family). We drink beer(obviously), whiskey, champagne(not actually champagne), wine(including mulled wine) and we generally finish off a bottle of something used in the cooking(normally sherry or port I think).

Please share the sorts of things you eat for Christmas dinner and any family traditions/preferences that deviate from the "normal" Christmas experience.

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    deltago said:

Food.

Always a good start :smiley:
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    deltago said:

Food.

Tacos?

I must confess I'm mad for turkey at Christmas. Being Australian, we don't do the whole turkey at Thanksgiving thing, so turkey was always our traditional Christmas lunch meal growing up and I tend to stick with that. Give me turkey, ham, and roast vegetables with gravy, I'm happy. For my wife, it's just not Christmas without the groaning table load of snacks that get munched on throughout the day: homemade chocolates, rumballs, nuts, cheeses, fruits and a ridiculously large bowl of fruit punch. She also had a tradition of making a chocolate ripple cake each year until illness has prevented her enjoying it for the last few years :-(
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Eggnog spiked with Disaronno and dusted with ground cinnamon... YUM.

Normally, we have ham for Christmas dinner, though I'll be visiting family out-of-state this year, so the dinner plans are all up to them. :) Whatever it is, it's sure to be delicious!
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2014
    I won't eat that probably. It's a nice option though.

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Probably sushi and yukimi daifuku form my workplace. Well, either that or Cameroonian cuisine.
    If all else fails there's always instant noodles on my shelves.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @Deltago I love it but why, for God's sake why, Brussels Sprouts??? I've never understood their inclusion in an otherwise excellent meal.

Even though I'm back in the UK I still can't get over the cognitive dissonance of eating a roast dinner whilst sitting in the shade of a thorn tree in the middle of summer which was par for the course in Africa.

Due to the fact that I come from a long line of scatterlings our family tradition is to play a game called 'who can spend the most on international phone calls' - this Christmas I'll be speaking to family in South Africa (Johannesburg), NZ (Nelson), Canada (Montreal) and the US (Miami) as well as the UK (I really hate time zones).
    I hate sprouts too, my mum makes them every Christmas and gets complained at for putting them anywhere near real food.

And Christmas in the summer can't be that weird, it's not like we ever have a white Christmas in the UK anyway.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Salted and dried ribs of mutton with aquavit
    Beer
    Cloudberry cream for dessert

Cant wait - best meal of the year!
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Prime Rib. Homemade Pumpernickel bread. Garlic Mashed Potatoes. GreenBean Almond Ding. Beer of choice. I prefer a nice flavored Porter.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    dunbar said:

Deltago I love it but why, for God's sake why, Brussels Sprouts??? I've never understood their inclusion in an otherwise excellent meal.

Brussels sprouts are delicious. Perhaps you never had hem prepared properly.

I also forgot to mention Tourtiére. How I ever forgot that is beyond me.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Kittens with feet like mittens. :cookie:
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    My christmas dinner involves me sitting alone in my apartment with a bottle of scotch and a loaded revolver.

Kidding, turkey dinner with all the trimmings. There will be a bottle of scotch involved, however.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Seems like it wasn't decided yet X_x
    Which means chances of nobody bringing food :|
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    Meat in japanese-Style (Teppanyaki) and Dessert Tiramisu
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Starter - Duck and Orange Pate
    Entree - Giant Mushrooms stuffed with Stilton
    Main - Salmon en Croute with Potatoes Dauphinoise and leak/mushroom/walnut stirfry
    Dessert - no added sugar trifle (yep, it's possible! I make it myself)

I hate roast turkey dinners because
    1/. They are wayyyy to much work
    2/. You can never serve them at the right time so you always get dried out turkey, leatherised roast spuds and mushy sprouts. Served at the right time, and all arriving co-ordiated thats actually a nice meal.
    3/. Turkey for two seems a bit sad - even if its just a turkey crown.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    kiwidoc said:

I hate roast turkey dinners because
    1/. They are wayyyy to much work
    2/. You can never serve them at the right time so you always get dried out turkey, leatherised roast spuds and mushy sprouts. Served at the right time, and all arriving co-ordiated thats actually a nice meal.
    3/. Turkey for two seems a bit sad - even if its just a turkey crown.

Blasphemy! Juicy turkey is easily done. Infusions...plus lots of garlic cloves and rosemary stuffed into the breast. BEST MEAL EVER! :smiley:
    Blades said:

BEST MEAL EVER!

Beef, Pork and duck are all way nicer than turkey.

Mmmmm roast beef...

Is it wrong that I'm already salivating in anticipation of Christmas?
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I once had a Christmas dinner cooked by a polish lady in New Zealand. We had roast goose, roast duck some wonderful version of whole salmon and bucket loads of shellfish - scallops, oysters, mussels and crayfish (like lobster) ... all better than the best turkey I've ever had.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Chinese food, same as every year. A family tradition I get to share with my new family in Chinatown this year :D
    Can't wait for Christmas day. Food and presents, is there any better day in the year?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    wubble said:

Can't wait for Christmas day. Food and presents, is there any better day in the year?

Any day I play BGT the whole day. Be assured.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    wubble said:

Day off! WOO!
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    Raclette at 2. Christmas