Skip to content

What racial enemy do you normally choose (BG2/BG2EE)

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I'm playing a Beast Master and just beat BGEE. So time to import to BG2EE. Anyways, I in the process of picking one for BG2EE I became curious what others normally choose.

Personally I went with spiders in BGEE, which is what I went with in BG2EE (for consistency reasons).

To refresh your memory the choices in BG2/BG2EE are.

Beholder
Demonic
Dragon
Elemental
Ettercap
Faerie
Genie
Ghoul
Golem
Hobgoblin
Imp
Kobold
Koa-Toa
Lich
Lyncanthrope
Mephit
Mind Flayer
Ogre
Otyugh
Rakshasa
Sahuagin
Shadow
Slime
Spider
Troll
Umber Hulk
Vampire

Comments

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    I've never played a ranger variant, but looking at that list just now, I would probably pick golem. There's a fair amount of them in the game, to the extent that the bonus would come in handy. Dragons, for instance, are much too rare. Ditto liches.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited December 2014
    I've only played a ranger one time all the way and I chose dragons. It seemed the grandest enemy to have for that character. I chose it for RP but appreciated in gameplay due to dragons' low AC.
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    I always pick vampires, but beholder would be fantastic for the few times you'd really need it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Playing with the SCS setting, many enemies from the list are really dangerous.

I would choose Beholders because the faster you kill them the smaller your chances of getting fatally wounded/pertified are.

Dragons are dangerous as well but there're few dragons in the game and when you go against them, you go fully prepared. The beholders are here and there and sometimes it's just one more hit that you need to defeat them.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    it depends of the set up.

If you can have the shield of balduran, I would say dragon or mind flayer are the ones you may want to kill really fast before they do.

If you don't have shield of balduran, beholder of course.

I don't get the vampire choice, if you have negative plane protection, which you should always have since you don't want to get level drain, they are a piece of cake...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    y u no poll?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    There are too many choices.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited December 2014
    I usually go with Rakshasa. They have high MR, so melee is usually the best tactic against them. Although they are pretty rare, the ones you do encounter may be very annoying. Elementals and demonic are a good choice as well.

I wish giants or gith were on the list. Or undead generally, thank god there are no bodaks in this game, and only 1 banshee.

And why the h**l are faeries even on the list? I cant even think of *any* enemies of that kind.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

My racial enemy are dogs. Closely followed by humans and similar apes.
    But if I had to solely choose one from the provided list, then my vote goes to faeries. Damn them with their annoyingly racial attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. And don't get me startet with their maniac giggle outbursts!

B-but faeries are so adorable! How could they ever be your enemy? QQ
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    Mind Flayers and Demonic are definitely good choices, even if you meet them rarely.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I agree with everything @Lord_Tansheron‌ said except the conclusion. Beholders are a similarly pointless choice because of the Shield of Balduran. There is exactly one beholder fight in the game that can't be made totally trivial by the Shield (unless you're playing solo, in which case even it's irrelevant). Therefore, I'd go with mind flayers (because they're dangerous enough that killing them fast is important), dragons (because, rare as they are, they're also pretty strong), or demonic (because some of them are really annoying). I think my ranger went demonic, but I honestly don't remember.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I go with mind flayers. Everything else I have no problem dealing with, but those illithids with their stun and insta-kill attacks are a nightmare to deal with, even with how rare they are.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Vallmyr said:

Cheh! Because they are annoyingly hyperactive buggers that cast illusion spells all over the place, endlessly terrorize you with half-witted pranks, and have the personalities of rotten toddlers. What's worse; no matter how many you crush under your heels is that they never cease to pop up. Truly, faeries are the cockroaches amongst the fey folk! >_>
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2014
    Jarrakul said:

Beholders are a similarly pointless choice because of the Shield of Balduran.

Not if you use the SCS mod. With this mod a beholder will quickly steal your shield and cloak in several seconds. After that bye-bye.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    I personally hate the beholders, because even with the illithids if you stock up on the charm protective helmets you'll be fine - besides, illithids it's hard to think speed would be a factor in the game killing the Illithids, you're either dead from their psionics or not, where killing the beholders is more about a speed-type factor.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I usually go with dragons simply because I think it's the coolest choice :)
    Good alternatives for me are beholders and mind flayers.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

Vallmyr said:

Cheh! Because they are annoyingly hyperactive buggers that cast illusion spells all over the place, endlessly terrorize you with half-witted pranks, and have the personalities of rotten toddlers. What's worse; no matter how many you crush under your heels is that they never cease to pop up. Truly, faeries are the cockroaches amongst the fey folk! >_>
    D:

Clearly you're talking to the wrong Faeries then! All the ones I've seen have generally been helpful! Also, their illusions actually help out a lot! Playing an RP run of a Fey blooded gnome illusionist/thief and mirror image has saved my life many a time! My little Faerie Dragon friend also is always there to back me up :3

Faeries are wonderfully cute, interesting, helpful, and enchanting creatures.

They are nowhere near as annoying as those damn imps!
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    For my Archer playthrough I went for Demonic. You will be surprised how many are in SoA and ToB.

The reason for this choice was a really old 2nd edition book called Guide to Hell, which was meant for high level campaigns and which I enjoyed a lot as a child.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @mement0, I also had that book. It was really cool. Kind of like the old habit/society and ecology sections of the Monster Manual, but expanded and fleshed out to fill an entire book. It was fantastic.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    As a general rule I pick Trolls or Demons. Trolls are a ranger's natural enemy so it would make sense that I could hate those guys a little harder. Some of the more annoying enemies are demons though, so I don't mind picking them off with bonus to-hit and damage rolls.

I generally avoid dragons since if I really wanted that, I could just go cavalier and swing a big sword at their legs.

Shame this isn't like some games such as NWN2 that let you pick humans as a favored enemies. Imagine the backstabbing power against a human mage as a stalker in this game if that were true...
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    My most popular choice is Demonic, though sometimes I choose (cadaverous or spectral) undead. I can't remember which racial enemies are for which game off-hand -_-

I haven't played a ranger in a while; maybe I should.
This discussion has been closed.