Skip to content

Trolls dont lay down & die!?

When i'm fighting trolls they don't lay down like they're supposed to when they're near death. Only way to kill them is when I use Storm of Vengence. How do I fix this?

Comments

• MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    What kind of trolls? What weapons do you use? Availability of Storm of Vengeance suggests that it is later in the game. Some trolls regenerate much faster than the basic ones within the de'Arnise castle. You still need to hit them with fire or acid to finish them off.
  • BrewhewhoBrewhewho Member Posts: 29
    Half the D'Arnise trolls don't lay down when they are near death so fire & acid don't work. And Tor"gal doesn't die at all ND SoV or not ?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Mods?
    Yes
    LOL ... then I can't comment on this. :neutral_face:

BG2EE without mods is really just fine IMO. (As a side-note, I do prefer BGEE but the two combined are highly recommended.)
    ok ty guys
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    karnor00 said:

If you are hitting the trolls too often then there's a bug whereby you can keep interrupting their falling down animation, preventing them from falling down.

Troll deaths work differently now. I don't think this is the case anymore (given that as far as I know it was one of the bigger reasons for the change).
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Is that the reason why I just got a nasty surprise when the Sand (or was it Desert?) Trolls on level 2 of Watchers Keep didn't roll over and die when I hit them with arrows of fire (luckily I had some arrows of ice which did work)?
    dunbar said:

Sand (or was it Desert?) Trolls on level 2 of Watchers Keep

Never met Trolls on level 2 of WK. Only Golems: Iron, Stone, Clay, Ice. Plus Shadow Fiend, Green Slime, Vampiric Wraith, Wandering Horror, Mutated Spider, Fire Giants, Air Elemental, Fire Elemental.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited December 2014
    @Merina My mistake, they were Golems but they shambled around and flopped down 'dead' just like Trolls and I was too busy fighting to read the dialogue screen properly (but they were definitely Sand Golems)!

Edit: They are Desert Trolls as mentioned in a post by @Tresset on May 16th.
    Post edited by dunbar on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    elminster said:

Troll deaths work differently now. I don't think this is the case anymore (given that as far as I know it was one of the bigger reasons for the change).

It can still happen from time to time—for example, if you use CTRL+Y, the troll will not instantly fall over. As far as I am aware (I don't know the exact nature of the change other than it's apparently spell-based), it is still based at least partly on script timing and occasionally, if something interrupts that timing, the troll will not go into an unconscious state without some sort of script reset (i.e. player moves the party so the troll needs to re-evaluate its attack).
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Its a contingency that now causes them to fall(triggered when hp < 10), which is only checked once per round, but it can still trigger even if the troll is helpless.
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    Looking at TROLLREG.itm, it uses opcode 232 (cast spell on condition) with parameter2 (type) set to 19 (HPPercentLT=value at "special" field, which in this case is 12), which casts TROLLREG.spl when the .cre's hit point percentage is less than 12. TROLLREG.spl then contains a series of dispelling and damage immunity opcodes as well as a delayed heal effect.

I think what you are pointing out is the behavior of opcode 232, which is automatically checks the conditions every x number of ticks (can't recall the exact value). Interestingly, the conditions are checked instantly if the conditiontype (param2) is 0 (on hit) or 11 (tookdamage).

The perfectionist in me says that if this behavior would be extended to the different HPPercent conditions (check only on damage), then there would be no lagging.

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2014
    Eureka!

Trollreg.itm: Cast Spell On Condition -> On hit (Trollreg.spl)

Trollreg.spl: Add as first effect: Protection from spell (Opcode 319): Not Source, Resource:(Trollreg)
    - Change ability to "Ranged", change all effects to "Preset Target"
    - Use new custom Projectile "TrollDIE"

TrollDIE.pro: Copy the projectile for Power Word: Kill (IWDEE version)
    - change HP parameters to 10/10
    - remove "Not affecting Allies"
    - remove all audio/visual componenents

Troll drops unconscious upon being hit with less than 10 hit points, INCLUDING if said hit dropped it below 10 hit points.
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    Another way is to use the new IWDEE opcode 326 (itself embedded in the .spl launched by the on-hit effect) with a condition of HPLT 10 (you will need to append SPLPROT.2da) to fire all the desired effects. So that's 2 .spls embedded within each other. Am confident this theory would work in all situations, even during time stops. :)
    I am not a programmer guys. What does al that mean?
    Can someone tell me how to fix my problem please? I'm not a computer geek.

Its fixed. I uninstalled the game and the tweak pack. works great now.