Skip to content

BG1 Unfinished Business v16.0

AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
edited August 2018 in BG:EE Mods
BG1 Unfinished Business ("BG1UB") is a mod designed to restore many of the cut items, quests, and encounters from the original Baldur's Gate game's final release, as well as try to tie up some of the "loose ends."

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/latest

Note: Some of the BG1UB components are blocked from installing, as they are included or superceded by BGEE. Here is a list of components that can be installed on BGEE:
Ice Island Level Two Restoration
The Mysterious Vial****
Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest****
Coran and the Wyverns*
Kivan and Tazok****
Branwen and Tranzig****
Place Entar Silvershield in His Home****
Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter
Quoningar, the Cleric
Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi
Edie, the Merchant League Applicant
Creature Corrections
Creature Restorations
Creature Name Restorations
Minor Dialog Restorations
Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations**
Item Corrections and Restorations
Prism and the Emeralds Tweak****
Duke Eltan in the Harbor Master's Building
Nim Furlwing Encounter
Svlast the Fallen Paladin
Mal-Kalen the Ulcaster Revenant
***Chapter 6 Dialog Restorations

*Superceded in BGEE v2.x
**Most of this component is already included in BGEE.
***New component for v15
****Superceded in BGEE v2.5+

NOTE: if you're installing both BG1UB and BG1NPC, BG1NPC has its own versions of the following components: Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest, Coran and the Wyverns, Kivan and Tazok, Branwen and Tranzig. If you install BG1UB first, do NOT install these components since BG1NPC does not detect BG1UB. If you install BG1UB after BG1NPC, it will detect BG1NPC and skip these components.

Also, Northern Tales of the Sword Coast and Jarl's Adventure Pack contain alternate restorations of Nim Furlwing and Svlast. BG1UB will skip those components if those other mods' components are present.

Version 16.0 CHANGES
  • Block the following components from being installed on BGEE v2.5:
    • The Mysterious Vial
    • Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest
    • Kivan and Tazok
    • Branwen and Tranzig
    • Place Entar Silvershield in His Home
    • Prism and the Emeralds
  • Moving code blocks for most components to external .tpa files
  • Kivan & Tazok: Add dialogue for Kivan-Tazok recognition to more dialog states in TAZOK.DLG
  • Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations:
    • Adding BGT to Red Sheaf Inn rumor fix.
    • Fixed Nashkel Inn name conflict with BGFixPack Game Text Update
    • Update Elfsong Tavern to use TAV0705.STO
  • Creature Corrections:
    • Fix issue with DROTH CreateCreature() command on BG1 w/o TotSC
    • Give Taurgosz Khosann FR-canon colors in BGEE v2.5
  • Nim Furlwing Encounter: Fix issue with reward scroll
  • Chapter 6 Dialogue Restorations: Fixed issue installing on BG1-TotSC

Version 15.2 CHANGES

* Updated French translations - Thanks Isaya!
* Updated Italian translations - Thanks Aedan!

Version 15.1 CHANGES

* Ch 6 Restorations: Updates to improve scripting and dialog options
* Shilo Chen: Updated item description for Gloves of Pick Pocketing in BGEE
* Updated Polish translations - Thanks @Cahir!

Version 15 CHANGES

* NEW COMPONENT: Chapter 6 Dialog Restorations
* Mal-Kalen updates:
- Fear effect centered on caster
- Reduce spell damage resistance to 50%
* Updated German translations - thanks Clubboth!
* Moving ALWAYS section to .tpa file
* Moving Ice Island code block to .tpa file
* Adding NTotSC check for Svlast component
* Updating DV changes to write 32 bytes
* Removing change of DV for %tutu_var%NOBW4.cre

Version 14.1 CHANGES

* BUGFIX: Fixed bug on Tutu with Unshey's restored dialog
* Updated Italian Translation - thanks Aedan!
* Svlast, the Fallen Paladin: Made Svlast's items unidentified
* Updating BGT_VAR for EET Support

Version 14 CHANGES
* General Updates for BGEE Compatibility: Replace FILE_EXISTS checks to GAME_IS checks where appropriate. Add BGEE variables to getcpmvara/getcpmvarp calls.
* Update to WeiDU v237, Windows and OS X binaries
* Added UTF-8 support for BGEE via HANDLE_CHARSETS - Add iconv Windows binary for character set conversion. Redefine %LANGUAGE% variables to NOT include the tra directory, e.g., "english" instead of "tra/english". Changing %LANGUAGE% variables to lowercase to allow character set to be inferred.
* Updating OSX sox binary to v14.4.0 (Intel CPU).
* Updating lib files for BGEE compatibility - Adding g3_bgee_cpmvars.tpa. Updating rr_tutubgt_addvars.tpa for BGEE, rename rr_tutubgtbgee_addvars.tpa
* TRA File Updates: Moving game content that uses Windows encoding to a separate file, bg1ub.tra. Setup.tra now only contains install text. This is done so that setup.tra can be excluded from UTF-8 conversion by HANDLE_CHARSETS.
* Ice Island - Moving "tis" subdirectory to "tiz" to work with WeiDU function HANDLE_TILESETS. Moving tisunpack binaries to win32 and osx subdirectories of tiz. Also, renaming ar1010.tiz to ub1010.tiz for unpacking, since it will now unpack to the override directory. Changes to .tp2 file will rename ub1010.tis to the appropriate name after unpacking. BGEE has copies of AR1010 .wed and .bmp files, don't copy these files for BGEE.
* Blocking the following components from installing on BGEE:
* Additional Elminster Encounter
* Angelo Notices Shar-teel
* Safana the Flirt
* Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward
* Flaming Fist Mercenary Reinforcements
* Audio Restorations
* Area Corrections and Restorations
* Permanent Corpses
* Elven Charm & Sleep Racial Resistance
* The Original Saga Music Playlist Corrections
* Sarevok's Diary Corrections
* Kivan & Tazok - Change KIVANJ reference in ubkivan.d to %KIVAN_JOINED% for compatibility.
* BGEE: Creature Restorations - Created BGEE version of ubcorian.cre.
* Kagain's Caravan - Update DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF to DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH. BGEE compatibility updates. Kagain's quest journal entry was not being removed in BGEE. Copied file bgKAGAIJ.d to bgeeKAGAIJ.d and added a block to remove journal entry.
* BGEE: Coran & Wyverns - Skip IKCoranWyvernFix for BGEE (already included as DXCoran)
* BGEE: Place Entar Silvershield in His Home - Add BGEE variable for AR0101 to getcpmvara call
* BGEE: Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter - Skip ubscar_fixes.d - not needed for BGEE
* BGEE: Quoningar, the Cleric - ADD_JOURNAL command to add quest journal entries for BGEE. Created BGEE version ubquon.cre.
* Shilo Chen and the Ogre Magi - Shilo Chen says the Ogre Magi are in the southwest corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. However, the Ogre Magi are found on the Bandit Camp map, which is at the north end of the Wood. Moving them to Larswood, which is the southwest part of the Wood. (BGEE) ADD_JOURNAL to add quest journal entries for BGEE. Created BGEE version of ubglove1.itm.
* BGEE: Edie, the Merchant League Applicant - ADD_JOURNAL for quest journal entries in BGEE.
* BGEE: Creature Corrections - Replace DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF and DECOMPILE_DLG_TO_D blocks with DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH blocks. Skip fixes due to CamDawg's Inventory Checker - already included in BGEE.
* BGEE: Creature Name Corrections - Skip Beresh fixes - already in BGEE.
* Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations - Add comments to indicate sections of component. Move ubba0133.dlg creation into Bartender Fixes section. Move Maltz' Weapon Shop and Unused General Store fixes into "Inn, Tavern, Store name restorations" section. (BGEE only) Block sections already implemented in BGEE. Add BGEE version of ubstores.d.
* Item Corrections and Restorations - Add BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES to item edit blocks. Updating item charges for ADD_STORE_ITEM: #1 #0 #0 for scrolls and bolts of polymorph, #0 #0 #0 for armor, helms, belts, bracers, etc.. (BGEE Only) Give Corsone "The Root of the Problem" since Amarande already has Mighty Oak +2 in BGEE. Updated Bala's Axe description for BGEE.
* Audio Restorations: Moving .ogg files out of "tra" directory and into new "audio" directory. Update audio handling to built-in WeiDU function HANDLE_AUDIO.
* Prism and the Emeralds - Add BGEE variable declaration: rr_bgee_addvars.tpa. ADD_JOURNAL for quest journal entries on BGEE. Move dialog to UBPRISM.D.
* Duke Eltan in the Harbor Master's Building - BGEE compatibility updates.
* Fix for TazokSays script blocks in AR2400.BCS and AR2900.BCS in BGEE.
* Incorporating %FACE% variables to all CreateCreature strings for compatibility with BG1 (without TotSC).
* Adding new component for BG1UB v14: Restore Nim Furlwing Encounter. Note: .tra files are temporarily updated with English text until translations can be provided.
* Adding new component for BG1UB: Restored Elfsong Tavern movie. Thanks to Sams for the UBTAVERN.MVE file with soundtrack. Note: This component is only for BG1, Tutu, and BGT. BGEE users who want this movie should install Sams' BG:EE Classic Movies mod.
* Adding new component for BG1UB: Svlast, the Fallen Paladin.
* Adding new component for BG1UB: Mal-Kalen, the Ulcaster Ghost.
* Restoring cut dialog for Unshey regarding Girdle of Gender Bending (Minor Dialogs Component).
* Fixes for Lahl's dialog: TotSC, BGT, Tutu ONLY: Lahl's dialogs are random, rework the dialogs into a tree (already fixed in BGEE) - added to Minor Dialogs Component.
* Updates to Ice Island Level 2: Give Dezkiel some additional defenses, including Snow Golems.
* Fix for duplicated actions in OUBLEK.D - Prism and the Emeralds component
* Prevent Coran Wyvern Quest component from installing on BGEEv2/SoD.
* Updated Italian Translation - thanks Aedan!
* Added extra_tmp_ee.tra with BGEE Dialog.tlk strings
Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
jackjackelminsterhook71MiridorMusignyWilburCrevsDaakmodestvoltaJacegeminibruniJuliusBorisovALIENlolienHudzykaguanaStradlinAedanMortiannaHeindrichrede9cmorganJustLeftthelovebatAbelGodKaiserHellGrammarsaladmf2112Saber83SssiksseilorAndreaColomboStummvonBordwehrZaghoulAxierami

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @AstroBryGuy: Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the Kagain and Branwen components here and the ones included in BG1NPC? Which version would you recommend?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited January 2015
    @shawne - BG1NPC's versions are "bigger" (well, Branwen's not so much, but Kagain's and Kivan's are). BG1UB's versions of these components are generally minimal. It tries to wrap up loose ends using already existing but unused dialogue as much as possible. BG1NPC generally takes a much freer hand in expanding these quests with new dialogue.

Take for example Kagain's quest (don't read if you don't want spoilers!)

* In vanilla, you take him one map north of Beregost and he gives up his quest.
    * With BG1UB, there's a body placed at one of the caravan ambush sites. When Kagain sees it, he recognizes the body as that of Silvershield's son (it uses an existing bit of dialogue in KAGAIJ.DLG that is not used in vanilla). The quest is now over. Not much added, but you at least get the satisfaction that Kagain found the caravan.
    * With BG1NPC, there's a group of bandits at the caravan that you have to kill. Then, you find Silvershield's son's body and take the boy's brooch back to his family.

One thing that I forgot to mention above - if you're installing both BG1UB and BG1NPC, you basically need to go with BG1NPC's versions. The way BG1NPC is coded, it does not detect BG1UB and skip the relevant components (and unlike BG1UB, they are not separate components). If you install BG1UB after BG1NPC, it will detect BG1NPC and skip the components that conflict.
    shawnejackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    I would hug you if I could!

It may be a long stretch, but is there any chance to successfully restore other cut content? From I can glean from old posts, some items like Mal-Kalen, the Ulcaster Revenant and Svlast, the Fallen Paladin were never restored.
    AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited January 2015
    @Jace - Thanks! I hadn't looked at doing anything with "unfinished Unfinished Business" yet.

Taking a quick look, Mal-Kalen looks promising. The dialog has a few too many circular references, but it could be straightened out without too much trouble, I think.

Svlast doesn't have any dialog from the PC yet. So, a little more work, but doable for a quick encounter, I think. The real issue is that Firewine is already pretty full with kobolds, the other undead knights, Lendarn, and the Ogre Mage. I think he'd need to be moved somewhere else. There's just no room in Firewine.

I'll take a closer look at it after fully testing the existing components with BGEE.
    JuliusBorisovlolien

@Jace - Thanks! I hadn't looked at doing anything with "unfinished Unfinished Business" yet.

Taking a quick look, Mal-Kalen looks promising. The dialog has a few too many circular references, but it could be straightened out without too much trouble, I think.

Svlast doesn't have any dialog from the PC yet. So, a little more work, but doable for a quick encounter, I think. The real issue is that Firewine is already pretty full with kobolds, the other undead knights, Lendarn, and the Ogre Mage. I think he'd need to be moved somewhere else. There's just no room in Firewine.

I'll take a closer look at it after fully testing the existing components with BGEE.
    EDIT: It looks like those components are restored in @Jarl's Adventure Pack. Only for BGT now, but probably worth a look to see if any work is being done on bringing it to BGEE.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/24367/#Comment_24367
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited January 2015
    Does it has all languages version 13.1 had?
    @Etamin‌ - yes.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    COOL

Now we only need this:

Hello all,

A final version of BG1 NPC Project vXX with BGEE compatibility is available over at ----.

http://----

jackjackCrevsDaaklolien
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    I would rather say "Now we only need fixed all bugs and implemented improvements from BG2:EE + maybe some more polishment (*cough*missedmovies*cough*)", since NPCProject is in 99% final release.
    jackjackCrevsDaaklolien
    I have a rather personal issue with Shilo-Chen.

Shilo-Chen tell you that the ogre magi are in the south-west corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Even though the Wood of Sharp Teeth consists of the areas of Larswood+Peldvale (as written on the stone signs that you find in those forests), the ogres are actually near some ruins on the Bandit Camp. I think that's quite misleading. I believe it would be proper to relocate them to some open area on the west side of Larswood.

lolien
    edited January 2015
    Jace said:

I have a rather personal issue with Shilo-Chen.

Shilo-Chen tell you that the ogre magi are in the south-west corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Even though the Wood of Sharp Teeth consists of the areas of Larswood+Peldvale (as written on the stone signs that you find in those forests), the ogres are actually near some ruins on the Bandit Camp. I think that's quite misleading. I believe it would be proper to relocate them to some open area on the west side of Larswood.

You have a point about the location of the quest.

According to the FR maps, the Wood of Sharp Teeth stretches from the River Chionthar in the north (the river Baldur's Gate is on) to Durlag's Tower in the south (Durlag's Tower should be on the southern edge of the Wood, close to Gullykin). I would say that the Bandit Camp is in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. However, Shilo says the Ogre Magi are in the southwest corner of the Wood, while the Bandit Camp is more like the northwest part. So, I agree that Larswood would make more sense.

However, since it has been this way for nearly 10 years (I see references at Pocket Plane to the location in 2006), more discussion/investigation is needed before considering moving it.
    lolienStradlin
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Wow unfinished business... i fell really old now. i even remember how to do some of those quests.
    JuliusBorisovAstroBryGuylolien
  • jmkarlssonjmkarlsson Member Posts: 30
    which file should I download because right now it fails to install at all
  • AsthnerAsthner Member Posts: 83
    You need the .zip from here: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/tag/v14.0_beta_150102

Download, unpack (so that the bg1ub folder and setup-bg1ub.exe end up in your 00766 folder) and run the setup. If it fails half-way during the installation, post what happened here and attach the setup-bg1ub.debug file for AstroBryGuy to examine. ;)
    AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovlolien
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @AstroBryGuy‌
    Git current provides a slightly updated version dated from January 8th.
    Is this a work-in-progress set or is it a fully functional update fixing the Kagain minor issue ?

Many thanks for this BGEE version.
    jackjackAstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovlolien
    Musigny said:

@AstroBryGuy‌
    Git current provides a slightly updated version dated from January 8th.
    Is this a work-in-progress set or is it a fully functional update fixing the Kagain minor issue ?

Many thanks for this BGEE version.

It should be fully functional (at least as functional as the 20150102 release). I had been waiting to see if other issues would be reported before rolling out a new release.

Also looking at @Jace‌'s suggestion for Shilo Chen.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Many thanks for this AstroBryGuy! You are making great work for this community!
    jackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
    @AstroBryGuy‌
    FYI
    raw install :
    INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Item Corrections and Restorations
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Patching HELM06.ITM into store...
    Copied [INN3351.STO] to [override/INN3351.STO]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    WARNING: ADD_STORE_ITEM: Unknown flag . Defaulting to 0 for flags.
    Patching LEAT06.ITM into store...
    Copied [STOCHEAP.STO] to [override/STOCHEAP.STO]

typo in the tp2 file ? missing "IDENTIFIED" ?
    COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_scripts%TOCHEAP.STO~ ~override~ // Lucky Aello's
    ADD_STORE_ITEM ~%tutu_var%LEAT06~ LAST #0 #0 #0 ~~ #1 // Studded Leather Armor +2 : Missle Attraction
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    argl... I forgot what this shop really is :blush:
    AstroBryGuyjackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    @AstroBryGuy‌ Do the item corrections and restorations conflict with BG:EE? I'm fairly sure I remember getting the Backbiter somewhere already.

Also what do the store, tavern, and inn fixes and restorations do that isn't already covered by BG:EE?

Just trying to decide whether or not to skip those two.
    lolien
    @Hudzy - While BG1UB doesn't remove the already existing Backbiter from BGEE, it does still add one (but not to the same creature that has one in BGEE). So, I suppose if you consider there being two creatures with a Backbiter spear as "conflicting," then yes they would conflict.

The Inn Fixes component doesn't do much in BGEE. It adds some merchants at the Nashkel Carnival and a small shop to the Jovial Juggler. The rest of the fixes are already in BGEE.
    MusignyHudzylolienjackjack
    @AstroBryGuy So far so good, but a couple of questions, if you may.

Is the Root of the Problem restored? I think it should drop by Archdruid Amarande but he's just dropping a Club +2 instead. Do I need to start a new game or what? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Is Corianna, the Petrified Ranger part of the Creature Restorations component? If yes, are there any cool new NPCs like her I should check out?

Hello all,

I rolled the latest updates and bug fixes into a new beta release.

http://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/tag/v14.0_beta_150127

Changes in in v14.0-beta-150127:
    * Fix for Kagain Quest Journal Entries on BGEE
    * Moving Shilo Chen Quest Ogre Magi to southwest corner of Wood of Sharp Teeth (@Jace!)
    * Adding NONE flag on LEAT06 in Lucky Aello's store
    jackjackMusignyCrevsDaaklolien
    @AstroBryGuy Can't find the Ogre-Magi in the latest update. Where are they supposed to be now? I searched all "corners" to no avail.
    @Jace - For them to appear you need to have met Shilo Chen and accepted his quest (but not finished it, obviously). The Chapter also needs to be greater than 4. So, if you install BG1UB, start a new game, and then go search the woods, you won't find them.

If you do the following CLUA Console commands:

C:SetGlobal("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)

Then go look in the southwest of Larswood by the rock with the giant bloodstain on it, you should find them.
    @AstroBryGuy To check him out, I loaded a save just before Baldur's Gate. The chapter is set to 5, talking to Shilo-Chen correctly sets the global variable to 1, but the ogre-magi are not in the specified location, or anywhere near it. I had already explored the area before by they way. I don't have other mods installed.

If you could check my save and see what's wrong, I would be very appreciative.

@Jace - I see the problem.

The following script block in AR2900.BCS keeps firing since it doesn't adjust the variable TazokSays. And that prevents anything below it in AR2900.BCS from processing.
    IF
    Global("TazokSays","GLOBAL",1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride("Teven",DestroySelf())
    END
    Looks like I'll need to do to an EXTEND_TOP so that the Shilo Chen block is put before this block.

lolien