Skip to content

The Original Baldur's Gate Better than Baldur's Gate II?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
I was comparing the two games and I counted the Non-Player Characters
30 + 5 +1 for the Original Baldur's Gate
22 for Baldur's Gate II
It got me thinking, was Baldur's Gate II worse than the Original Baldur's Gate?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also It seems that Baldur's Gate II has less Areas and far less world map areas than the Original Baldur's Gate along with the game progression being more linear and less 'wild west' and free range. As in one is free to explore most all of the world around the character in the Original Baldur's Gate and can enter 'impossible' areas at low level like Durlag's Tower and the Ice Dungeon and is only really barred from the City of Baldur's Gate and Returning to Candlekeep from after a skippable tutorial level (Candlekeep). While in Baldur's Gate II there is an unskippable 'notorious' prison dungeon that the party must escape and is then more or less fed areas to progress into and cannot openly and freely explore or progress into the world around the character for the areas don't exist. For example there are interesting areas towns outside of Athkatla that the player is forced to never enter and it seems that the developers lost the 'everything on the maps goes into the game' moral decision that is found in the Original Baldur's Gate (Map: http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/images/faerunlarge.jpg ). Also did you notice that in the Original Baldur's Gate II there are only 3+1 Evil Non-Player Characters and it is impossible to have a pure evil party unlike in Baldur's Gate One?

The Item BAM [Icon] quality in Baldur's Gate is of higher quality (opinion) for most items are 3D Modeled and or Altered from 3D Models while the items in Baldur's Gate II are just blurry painted icons that look as if they were 'reduced in quality' to create more of them. [The item colour structure and item concepts are not to be confused with technical quality]

I like the advancements in some areas, as in most of the engine changes and the 'more fleshed out' Non-Player Characters in Baldur's Gate II but I feel as if the game is not the same as the Original and it is not an improvement 'across the board'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say one the subject and I know I'm missing good and bad points on both sides but I wanted to give some thought provoking material for everything to think of and then write a comment on. So what game is better or worse (maybe they are the same) and for what reasons?

Comments

• OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I actually like BG2 better than 1 simply for the story and character interaction. The weird thing is, I've logged probably 10x more play time on BG1 than I have 2. Something about it is just comforting, like wrapping myself in a warm blanket.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958

I also like BG1 better than BG2, for the reasons outlined in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32657/ive-come-to-feel-that-bg2-is-very-overrated-as-an-rpg/p1

In a nutshell, while BG2 has more content, I feel that it also sacrificed much of the fundamental RPing aspects of BG1. BG1 has more freedom to explore, better balanced combat (BG2 is very biased toward magic-users), better balanced story (BG2's opening is very biased toward a good-aligned party), and (IMO at least) more memorable/likable NPCs. And while BG2 has more content, such as weapons, this is counterbalanced by the fact that the game is often structured in a way to make that content less appreciable (for example, enemies are increasingly immune to magic weapons below a certain bonus, which forces you to continually toss aside your current weapons and replace them with "better" ones).

Wow.. You said what a black hidden morass of thought and emotion within myself could not conform into words. Well said, Well Said. *slight clapping*

As of @semiticgod‌ I do feel that you do have some points but.. *rolls mind to words spell: roll - unsuccessful* magic man.. the magic. I feel the whole balance thing is based on higher levels getting more abilities and more 'widgets' for multiple classes and kits (e.g. more magical clubs and Splintmail) although I do agree with @SharGuidesMyHand‌ with Baldur's Gate II being less balanced than Original Baldur's Gate based on magic heavy bias.. Well and this.. I ask you while you watch this.. What 'Other' non-magic classes could do this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSF6x_amqNM

Also I feel that the Original Baldur's Gate is weighed down in the beginning for some classes need time and experience levels to become 'competent' (e.g. Mages) although I feel that the 'golden age / zone' (of Experience Levels) is right near the end of the game when the party is on a 'linear rat race' to exterminate Sarevok. I feel that if the Baldur's Gate had say 3 more experience levels of open world non linear content to adventure upon and explore without heavy experience rewarding enemies, that the game could have been excellent in more regards [plus also in having magical items reflect more viable class options: clubs and spears].

Also I personally like the rugged fantasy stone and gold look of the original interface vs. the Elven tree bark-wood-vines and studs of the sequel.. Although that is just a matter of opinion. As of that subject thank you @SharGuidesMyHand‌ for the thread link and what else does everyone think of what I just said? Do you fine people folks agree in areas, and if so where do you disagree or are there areas where you both agree and disagree? Maybe I missed something or you have something to add; yes, no perhaps? I would love to hear it even if you think that it is insignificant; I or someone else might find it very insightful.
    edited January 2015
    dunbar said:

The problem that I have with BG2 is that it's just not as re-playable as BG1, and a lot of the blame for this must lie in Irenicus' Bloody Boring Dungeon.
    What is the point of it? If you can't get out of it there's no game, so why be forced to go through it time and time again when there's a perfectly good tutorial to help you learn the game mechanics?
    I know there's a mod somewhere that allows you to skip this bit but even if I found it I would probably make a mess of installing it (and more to the point, I shouldn't have to).

Also, most of the interesting and variable stuff in BG2 happens in Chapter 2, after which it's pretty much just a rat run to the end with very few choices to make.

In BG1 in the other hand you are faced with choices right from the start that enable you to develop your character in many different ways and pick your quests accordingly. My personal feeling is that from a roleplaying perspective BG2 is like trying to perform gymnastics in a strait jacket.

Wow, Again you have words where I do not..

Simply put:
    -'Broken' Starter Prison Break / Grind [their should 'never' have to be a mod to skip places to add more fun for the masses]
    -"In BG1.. you are faced with choices right from the start that enable you to develop your character in many different ways and pick your quests accordingly [unlike in Baldur's Gate II]."
    -After Chapter 2 is a "just a rat run to the end with very few choices to make."
    -And this perfection:
    "From a roleplaying perspective BG2 is like trying to perform gymnastics in a strait jacket."

*gentle applause*.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    dunbar said:

The problem that I have with BG2 is that it's just not as re-playable as BG1, and a lot of the blame for this must lie in Irenicus' Bloody Boring Dungeon.
    What is the point of it? If you can't get out of it there's no game, so why be forced to go through it time and time again when there's a perfectly good tutorial to help you learn the game mechanics?
    I know there's a mod somewhere that allows you to skip this bit but even if I found it I would probably make a mess of installing it (and more to the point, I shouldn't have to).

Also, most of the interesting and variable stuff in BG2 happens in Chapter 2, after which it's pretty much just a rat run to the end with very few choices to make.

In BG1 in the other hand you are faced with choices right from the start that enable you to develop your character in many different ways and pick your quests accordingly. My personal feeling is that from a roleplaying perspective BG2 is like trying to perform gymnastics in a strait jacket.

Agreed.

I feel that BG2 as a whole is very lineal and repetitive - not only the overall story, but even each individual quest. Almost every standout quest in BG2 feels like a lineal dungeon crawl, following the exact same path and fighting the exact same enemies every time, whereas the quests in BG1 are often more varying - i.e: searching for Brage or Bassilus, which requires some exploration of anonymous forest areas. Plus as you've said, for a solid majority of the game, your character is restricted to following an escape route out of some place (i.e: Irenicus' dungeon, Spellhold, the underwater city, the drow city, etc.).

I can recall enjoying my very first playthrough of BG2 thanks to its impressive visuals and extra content, but once the game had lost its initial novelty, my enjoyment plummeted over subsequent attempted playthroughs. By contrast, BG1 can still feel fresh and original to me even after a far greater number of playthroughs.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @SharGuidesMyHand: Bassilus isn't a great example of a non-linear quest. You can go to many places before finding him, but that doesn't mean the quest is non-linear; it means you can veer off course. You can do the same for any other quest, linear or non-linear. The Bassilus quest has only two points: the start, where you hear about it, and the end, where you find Bassilus. There are no clues or any points linking the two. Contrast that with the main plot of either game, in which there are many places to visit and people to talk to in between the start and the end. It's only non-linear in the sense that you can get lost along the way.

@WithinAmnesia: I've actually gotten the impression that Baldur's Gate is the more popular game, not BG2. And I wouldn't compare either of them to junk food. I've been playing BG2 for over half my life and it still hasn't "lost its appeal over time." It probably never will. Just like BG1 for BG1 fans. And please don't make it sound like BG2 is all cheap tricks and no substance, a "flashy bard" and "one trick pony" that "wears out its welcome." The storyline and characterization of BG2 are at least as deep as in BG1. You don't have to compare BG2 to "junk food" and shallow bards to make BG1 look better.
    I agree that TOB is something of a black sheep. Mostly I think it's just a bit short, and people don't get quite as invested in the storyline.

I think a lot of it depends on which you played first. Most people started with BG1 and went on to play BG2, and most people speak more highly of the former. But I played BG2 before BG1, and I prefer the sequel.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @WithinAmnesia: I forgot to respond to the video you posted. I was going to say that the eight dragon challenge doesn't mean much, since vanilla BG2 has no such battle and only the most ridiculously powerful spellcaster can handle it. A sorceror at a lower level, or without the right spells, is just as doomed as a non-spellcaster. This video speaks more to the strength of a sorceror specifically, for a non-BG2 fight, than a normal BG2 spellcaster in an actual BG2 fight. But I think it might actually be possible for a fighter to take on such a challenge, if they were managed just as well as the sorceror in that video.

Various items can defend a fighter from dragon's breath--there are many scrolls that would help, and armors, and shields, and potions, plus the Negative Plane Protection from the Runehammer or Improved Mace of Disruption for Shadow Dragon breath--and the dragons' physical attacks can be blocked with physical damage resistances. Just use the Defender of Easthaven and cast Hardiness twice for immunity to all physical damage. You won't even need both castings of Hardiness, necessarily, considering not every dragon is going to be able to reach you (those big circles will get in the way) and not every attack will hit, and you'll have the Rod of Resurrection to help. Being a Barbarian will make it even more possible. And, if you're talking about a max-level fighter, like this sorceror seems to be, then you have 20 HLAs to choose from, for a maximum of 100 rounds of immunity to physical damage. Not all of which a fighter will even need, especially if we're using a Barbarian. Plus, SoA dragons are vulnerable to vorpal strikes, which a fighter can land very easily. The only difficulty would be Nizidramanii'yt with his acid breath, and even then, a fighter can survive it, and heal itself with the Rod of Resurrection. It just wouldn't be able to avoid the damage outright.

As for the other non-casting classes--thieves--they can lay enough traps to take down most any enemy, and if 7 Spike Traps aren't enough, they can lay a Time Trap or simply run away to give themselves enough time to lay more. Plus, they can also use vorpal weapons with UAI, and will get automatic hits with Time Traps.

And you might be able to use the Mind Flayer Control Circlets to turn the dragons against each other, and heal the friendly ones with the Rod of Resurrection. I don't know if dragons are immune to charm, but those circlets do bypass MR, and they offer no save.

So... yes. A non-spellcaster can take on stupendously difficult challenges in BG2, if they are given the same attention as the sorceror in your video. Including the challenges that don't actually exist in BG2 in the first place, like the eight dragon battle. It's true that a Sorceror can do that more easily than, say, a Wizard Slayer, but the average fighter and the average mage in BG2 are closer in strength than the average fighter and the average mage in BG1. In BG1, the mage is utterly inferior unless it uses wands or Enchantment magic... at which point it can handle practically all encounters much more easily than a fighter. In BG2, mages are stronger overall, but a fighter can overcome crazy challenges, too. The same cannot be said for BG1, where it's not really realistic for a fighter to take on Sarevok solo--a vanilla battle.
    edited January 2015
    Wonderful!

@semiticgod‌
    I see your points but I feel that you take me as a literal translation when I'm simply saying a metaphor or analogies (I'm a bit cryptic at times yes : S). My Baldur's Gate II comparison is 'extreme' Yes (I don't fully agree with it myself) but it highlights points so brightly as to make them as simple to understand as possible (according to me at that moment that is). Yes my comparison is rather "rough and tumble" and non-politically correct but I went for simpleness and general themes, not exact portraits of character of the game.. Consider it as a comedic approach and a well-humoured look at one of my favorite games. I feel that many people also played the games back-to-back originally. I first played the Original Baldur's Gate in 2005 when I was 9 (and mostly literate, I learned much of how to read by playing Baldur's Gate) I forget when I was given Baldur's Gate II as a gift but.. hmm *calculates* I think in 2006 or 2007 (before 'midway through World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade'). I played Baldur's Gate II with a new character and then I found Original Baldur's Gate Discs (actually my sister's burned Baldur's Gate Discs) and played those until I had to create an import file on day 364 in 3 minutes before insta-dieing in the Bridge District. Then I played Baldur's Gate II up until the elf place with the mage duel. Then *SCRATCH*..
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I respectfully disagree that bg2 is 'too linear'. There are linear areas, ofcourse, for plot's sake, but the moment you are out of Irenicus's Dungeon, you have a huge world full of multiple quests and interesting locations open to you, along with lots of very colorful npcs. You can do the quests in any order you want, when you want.

I played a no-reload and did the usual circus-slaver-thieves stronghold-korgan's quest-trademeet quests and died to Unseeing Eye. Next time I started solved Bridge murders, got Hexxat and did her quests-quite different experience from Korgan-went to Nalia's keep, visited Windspear Hills, went to Umar Hills to get Valygar and died to a flesh to stone spell in Planar Sphere quest. Two completely different quest and npc configurations in two different games and there are still places/quests I haven't seen in the early game. The world is big, and very filled wth life, adventure and danger:no empty place or wilderness areas.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited January 2015
    I too used to consider the vast plethora of companions in BG to be a huge plus over its predecessor, but the truth is... they're flat as a floor, mostly. Their quests have no depth to them if they have one at all and party banter is almost non-existent. So the 14 extra companions aren't really all that amazing since they're not exactly 14 BGII companions' worth of banters, quests and romances.

The freedom to explore, however, is definitely something that puts the sequel to shame. As soon as you're out of Candlekeep you can walk in literally any direction and find an abundant amount of random encounters, quests and loot in just about every zone. In BGII however you're stuck with "quest hubs" that you can only unlock by stumbling upon the main quest for that area. Want one of those scenic nature zones? Oh allright. You have the choice between Windspear Hills with its annoying railroad murder plot that starts as soon as you enter, Umar Hills and that druid grove which can only be accessed through Trademeet which also has quest unlock criteria. And none of those 3 zones really has much to find in them outside of their associated "main quests".

Mechanically speaking however, BGII is just vastly superior to the first game. It's so much better in fact that I have never completed a second playthrough of BG until EE came around. If we compare both EEs then the gap between both games becomes considerably smaller but the better companions races BGII:EE ahead imo and it's also a lot more fun if you're a spellcaster because being able to cast more than 2 magic missiles a day and surviving a random kobold arrow without having to reload really does make things more enjoyable.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Amber_Scott‌ Strangely enough people are arguing BG1 is better due to being more open/sandboxy. Did you read the arguments?
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    You just cannot beat the original. Even if you do many things better. If BG2 got out first it would be my favorite.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    When I play BG1 I miss the more story focused BG2, the tighter gameplay and the deeper conversations with NPCs. Then when I play BG2 I miss the open world feel of BG1, the sense of danger where even the weakest enemies can defeat you and the how much easier it is to RP.

It would be very difficult to choose between them, though BG1 would inch ahead as I prefer TOSC to TOB.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143

BG1 has always been my favorite. Since I started work here I've replayed BG1 approximately 8,000 times and I still love it. Partly it's nostalgia, since I was a big 2e/FR player and BG1 just blew my mind. I also get easily overwhelmed with too much openness/sandboxing, which I felt BG2 had more of.

I think it is because I'm a completionist that sandbox games feel overwhelming. You have so much to do at the same time. What to do first and second and third etc.
    This is usually fine in a blind playthrough but as you accumulate metagame data, it becomes increasingly annoying.

Another important part is playing "philosophy". As much as I like exploring worlds, once I know them, it becomes tedious to do the same sidequests again. I place much more emphasis on story telling. When I play a game I want to feel like I'm reading a book of which I'm the hero. If it strays too much from the main story, it feels like reading a rambling/meandering/disjointed story. I'd rather have all the quests related to the main story than loosely explained by: "you need money to get the Shadow Thieves' help".
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You don't have to complete all the side quests in chapter 2. You can leave something for later (after UD), if that's your problem.
    edited January 2015

@WithinAmnesia: Fair enough.

I think mumumomo has it exactly right. Early BG2 is the most entertaining part of the trilogy, the most wide-open and most colorful. It's probably the main reason why so many people restart BG2: the best part of the game is the first half.

It is just a huge shame that Baldur's Gate II's 'zenith' was the only 'non-linear' section: the second chapter and not a ramping up experience with a story tying and hugely satisfying fight at the end that the Original Baldur's Gate had.

I like what @subtledoctor‌ said (although I use it as in an imperfect execution within the eyes of relatability)
    "BG1 is definitely better. BG1 was a revelation - the D&D rules translated into a computer game that was orders of magnitude more beautiful, compelling, and fun than any earlier effort. It had a great story, with appropriate twists and turns. It opened up lots of areas to explore without making you feel like you were doing something wrong (which was the case with all of the BG2 side-quests).

Basically BG2 gives you more of a lot of things. That's great, but it's not the revelation that BG1 was. And the story is weaker. And many of the kits, abilities, spells and enemies were implemented in horrible/cheesy/munchkiny ways, using crazy house rules rather than sticking to the 2e source material, which would have served perfectly well."
    edited January 2015
    Update: Quoting @Jlee "In all honesty, your conclusion regarding the forum.baldursgate.com snapshot is somewhat flawed (I can't speak to Metcritic).

There was only the General Forum for a long time on this site. It wasn't until ~BG2EE (I can't remember the exact timing) was announced that the BGEE forum was created. A lot of the general forum posts pre-BG2EE were BGEE related, a fact which is not communicated by your screenshot." [Thank You @JLee‌ ]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@WithinAmnesia: I've actually gotten the impression that Baldur's Gate is the more popular game, not BG2.

I think a lot of it depends on which you played first. Most people started with BG1 and went on to play BG2, and most people speak more highly of the former. But I played BG2 before BG1, and I prefer the sequel. [I would have to say it is possible but what makes you think so?]

My friend.. hold up. Just Chill..
    "I've actually gotten the impression that Baldur's Gate is the more popular game, not BG2."

Have use seen the number of posts in the Baldur's Gate II section of this forum vs. the the Original Baldur's Gate?

Look it is mighty a 'rigged landslide' of over 3 to 1!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Also this: Look at the voting difference over at Metcritic!

16 Critics, and 411 Users [Currently] Voted on: Baldur's Gate ( http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate )
    30 Critics, and 858 Users [Currently] Voted on: Baldur's Gate II ( http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn )

It is [almost] 2 to 1 across the board!:-P

[Update: @Jlee 's below comment makes Tons of sense! So in regards to popularity, Slash the general discussion by two for Baldur's Gate II?]

Post edited by WithinAmnesia on