Skip to content

Alignments for Rasaad, Neera, and Dorn?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

@Quartz
    Basically, if you're hooking up with Dorn, it's because you just saw him chop something in half and you got a little hot and bothered by that. That's the impression I get.

Heh. So he has the same appeal as lumberjacks then.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Silverstar An *evil* lumberjack.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Dave said:

Some of the speculation on this thread has been exactly correct. I won't spoil the suspense by saying which posts nailed the alignments.

Dave said:

@Drugar What would Viconia have to say about Rasaad?
    Funny you should ask.

@Dave
    I've had dwarven strippers who were less of a tease than this.
    Only three more weeks...
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2012
    Edit: Lots of unnecessary quotes xD

Wow. I liked BG:EE a lot before. Now it´s just an unbelievable amazing product :D .
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Just decided to look over the characters again. Noticed the reverence to Selûne for the monk dude. As taken from the forgotten realms wiki:

Selûne (pronounced seh-LOON-ay[3]), also known as Our Lady of Silver and the Moonmaiden, is the goddess of the moon. She is also venerated in Faerûn as a goddess of light, stars, navigation, navigators, wanderers, questers, and goodly lycanthropes.[4]

She's Chaotic Good, meaning she shouldn't even have a monastic order according to 3e rules. A worshiper of a diety can only be one alignment type off it, meaning Selûne worshipers should theoretically only be Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral or Neutral Good. Still, she's a good-aligned diety which would highly suggest Rasaad is going to be good aligned himself.

I wonder if he'll have some tie-in quest with lycanthropes. If so, it'd be really cool to see how he plays out with Cernd in BG2. (Also, I hope they make shapeshifters worthwhile because they are totally ass right now, and by extension so is Cernd.)

For the other ones, I would guess CG or CN for Neera. I hope CN, because neutral NPCs don't quit your party! They just whine a lot.

I actually figure that Dorn will be Lawful Evil. He's got a clear motive and a sense of "duty." He'll slaughter weaklings but it doesn't strike me (at least from what we know about him) out of mere spite.
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    I think Rasaad is going to be Lawful Neutral because he most likely belongs to a monk order of some sort and probable wants to preserve the "balance". I think Neera is chaotic good because i think it would take a good person to leave the wizards of Thay and set things right, chaotic because she is unpredictable. Dorn has to be chaotic evil. Orcs are chaotic and blackguards are evil.

Dorn has to be chaotic evil. Orcs are chaotic and blackguards are evil.

But remember, BG is based on 2nd edition AD&D, where Orcs are lawful evil militarists, not the chaotic evil brutes of 3rd edition onwards.
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2012
    Hm.. now with the 2 short stories of rasaad and neera I wonder if one of them will be aligned "good"
    edited September 2012
    @Fluid29 From reading Rasaad's "Fishing" short story and hearing the first of his three sound files, I think it's Lawful Good for the win.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Mortianna said:

@Fluid29 From reading Rasaad's "Fishing" short story and hearing the first of his three sound files, I think it's Lawful Good for the win.

Agreed. Definitely thinking he's Lawful Good.

Dorn will obviously be Lawful Evil as a Blackguard.

Makes me wonder what Neera will be. Probably neutral, question remains, which type...
    edited September 2012
    Quartz said:

Dorn will obviously be Lawful Good as a Blackguard.

Obviously. Those goody-goody Blackguards!
    Quartz said:

Makes me wonder what Neera will be. Probably neutral, question remains, which type...

From the short story, she strikes me as a wild child and has problems with authority and doing things by the rules. I stand by my first guess of Chaotic Neutral.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Mortianna said:

Obviously. Those goody-goody Blackguards!

ROFL, worst. Mistake. Ever. You know what I meant ... it's fixed now xD Good one btw.
    Mortianna said:

From the short story, she strikes me as a wild child and has problems with authority and doing things by the rules. I stand by my first guess of Chaotic Neutral.

Agreed, sounds like a good guess.
    Quartz said:

ROFL, worst. Mistake. Ever. You know what I meant ... it's fixed now xD Good one btw.

Anything for the lulz.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Rasaad: Lawful Good... people who early in life are anti-social (for whatever reason) and later succeed in turning their life around, often do so via a wholehearted conversion to a religion or philosophy.

Dorn: Lawful Evil... he's driven by revenge, and question is will he be methodical and pragmatic... I'm guessing that he will be focused. I think they will try to avoid a cliche stereotype (i.e., orcish blood and the kit itself) and make him Lawful. Hopefully, he'll have decent intelligence as well.

Neera: Chaotic Good... because she lacks discipline and seems to have a heart of gold, i.e., is deeply caring about others and how her actions affect them, etc. Could be NG too I guess. I forget if a Wild Mage is restricted to Chaotic alignment...
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I'd hoped Rasaad would be LN but now it doesn't seem very likely :(.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2012
    Imo, the perfect alignment for Neera would be CN with the potential to move on to CG with a bit of pc enticement.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    or NE! :P
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    So... basically everybody agrees that:

Rasaad: LN or LG
    Neera: CN or CG
    Dorn: LE or NE

I'm going to deliberately ignore the one guy saying that "only caring about his own power" (basically, the very definition of NE) means that he's CE. <.<
    Similarly, anyone saying that Neera is not Chaotic must not be taken seriously. :P

Personally, I just hope Rasaad and Neera aren't both Good or both Neutral, because I want to pick one for my Good team and one for my Neutral team.

Now, I have two questions:

1) Aren't Blackguards SUPPOSED to be Lawful, by the rules? My memory is fuzzy on this subject, but from the start this one was the only alignment I was sure about.

2) I read the short story about Neera, but didn't find the one about Rasaad. Link, please?? :(
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, what's pretty clear is that:

Neera is Chaotic.
    Rasaad is Lawful.
    Dorn is Evil

Following this, if they make a balanced alignment distribution Dorn will be probally neutral in chaos/law terms, so i guess Dorn will be neutral evil. The fact he's urging for revenge shows an willful conduct, and this kind of stability and permanence would not fit in chaotic alignment and neither a person that lived most of his life in Luskan by raw power would be compatible with an lawful alignment.

Based on Neera's story, she should be probally be of good alignment, unless the traumatic events are used to make her chaotic neutral.

Rasaad didn't fit for me as a good character, based on his past lawful good would mean to condemn pickpocket or any non legal behavior, and he felt in his own skin that sometimes the world isn't white and black (we was an orphan that lived of small pickpokets), as lawful neutral he could follow a strict code that his heart doesn't agree but his duty sense commands.

So my guess is:

Neera - Chaotic Good
    Rassad - Lawful Neutral
    Dorn - Neutral Evil
    edited September 2012

1) Aren't Blackguards SUPPOSED to be Lawful, by the rules? My memory is fuzzy on this subject, but from the start this one was the only alignment I was sure about.

I think Blackguards were added in 2nd edition AD&D as a specific Fallen Paladin kit (when Fallen Paladins formally devote themselves to the path of evil). The focus is on the good/evil axis rather than law/chaos. I see it as the counterpart to the Cavalier class of 1st edition AD&D, which could be of any good alignment.

Lawful Evil does seem to "fit" Blackguards though. It's that whole "black" and "guard" thing, I suppose.
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    I know that everyone is thinking One good, one neutral and one evil new NPC. I for one am rooting for two of neutral alitnment. In BG2, we don't need another goodhearted warrior with or without stealth and we don't need such a mage either.

Neutral may not need a stealther as they have Jan, but without a pure warrior, a hole will be filled. Also, whilst drowning in priests, they lack access to the high level magic until Jan gets there.

I've often felt forced to play a good cleric, a neutral mage or an evil thief unless I mix the group's alignments.
    There is another possible clue to Rasaad. Rasaad belongs to the Order of the Sun Soul, and he was raised specifically at a monastery that worships Selune. Selune is a decidedly Good goddess. And she is also Chaotic.

Selune's worshipers have the alignment restriction of NG, CG and CN. Not that Rasaad is a devout worshiper, necessarily. But if he was raised at monastery that worships that goddess that would have been a strong shaping influence.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Yeah i'd guess that Rasaad is Lawful Good, coming from his dialogue, Neera sounds mostly Chaotic Neutral, so that leaves Dorn to be Neutral Evil, or Lawful Evil if Blackguards are forced to be lawful.
    At this rate, we should have some sort of betting pool set up for this. ;-)

When Dorn's short story comes out, we'll probably have a better idea of the law/chaos axis of his evil alignment. Rasaad's and Neera's stories could be interpreted in different ways in terms of the good or neutral issue. The suspense!
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Rasaad *cannot* be Lawful Neutral. These two quotes: "In the face of lies, we offer truth. In the face of hatred, we offer compassion." and "If he can also find opportunities to reflect his inner light on those in need, he is eager to do so." are clear about that. Lawful Neutral characters don't give a shit about compassion or helping people, they only care about order. He has to be Lawful Good.

As for Neera, that's a tough call IMO. She definitely seems chaotic but Chaotic Neutral characters tend to be selfish and lunatic. She almost seems too "nice" for this alignment. It would not surprise me if she was Chaotic Good and there was no Neutral character...
    @Mera Agreed on Rasaad. I think Neera's Chaotic Neutral because, in her story, she's not concerned about the impact of her actions on others as much as what she thinks of herself. Take, for example, the last paragraph:

"That's not- I didn't mean- Oh, I hate you all!" Neera raised the staff she had won from Pollae, wanting desperately to hit someone. Pollae and the Binsters flinched and stepped back. When she saw the fear on their faces, Neera felt horrified-not by her friends, not by the situation, but by herself.

She was horrified when she realized what she was capable of doing. Chaotic Neutrals don't actively seek to harm or help others. Rather, they are concerned primarily about themselves and having the freedom to pursue their whims. In this case, she realized she has a violent and destructive side as well.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Monks aren't clerics as they don't need to follow a deity alignment even if worship them, at least that's what i know of them atm, they don't have divine powers to receive anyway.

There's this link to an NWN2 page that expose the monastic orders that exist on Faerûn atm:

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Monk_orders

Based on the info above the sun souls can be lawful good or lawful neutral, the presented moto belongs to the order as i see and the order can be of both alignments.

As i put before, Neera will be chaotic good/neutral, good if they stick with her personality, neutral if they assume the events after her leave of wizard school changed her somehow or based in game needs neutral if they want to balance the alignments.

BG has Dynaheir (good aligned), Xan (neutral aligned), Edwin and Xzar (evil aligned), but in BG2 we stick with Nalia, Imoen, Aerie, (good aligned ), Jan (neutral aligned) and Edwin (evil aligned). So in the sum of both games we have 4 good mages, 2 neutral mages and 2 evil mages, being obvious that Neera isn't evil in terms of equalism neutral will fit a better alignment, but i still stick with chaotic good.
    edited September 2012
    Mera said:

Rasaad *cannot* be Lawful Neutral. These two quotes: "In the face of lies, we offer truth. In the face of hatred, we offer compassion." and "If he can also find opportunities to reflect his inner light on those in need, he is eager to do so." are clear about that. Lawful Neutral characters don't give a shit about compassion or helping people, they only care about order. He has to be Lawful Good.

Yep.
    Mera said:

As for Neera, that's a tough call IMO. She definitely seems chaotic but Chaotic Neutral characters tend to be selfish and lunatic. She almost seems too "nice" for this alignment. It would not surprise me if she was Chaotic Good and there was no Neutral character...

Agree again. I think it's implied that she is remorseful. I'm going to guess that she's a zany, free spirit who is also caring and socially connected. I doubt she'll be self-centered above and beyond any young person's penchant to be so.