Skip to content

Scroll Protection from undead should not "hide" character from undead.

Very old bug with this scroll, use it and lich will literally ignore your presence u can attack him and he will just stand as statue.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I think this is not a bug. I've always thought this is the right behavior.
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    bengoshi said:

Just standing without even dialog initiation :neutral_face: unlikely.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Even if this is normal behavior in pnp, it seems a bit overpowered. Sure, maybe "dumb"undead should ignore you and let you pound then into dust, but liches should be smarter than that I think
    edited June 2015
    bengoshi said:

A Protection from Undead scroll invokes a 3' radius circle of protection around the target. It protects the person within from all physical attacks made by undead such as ghasts, ghosts, ghouls, skeletons, wraiths, zombies, etc. It does not offer any protection from magical attacks, however, and will wear off with the passage of 10 turns. Original SOA description
    It does not offer any protection from magical attacks, however, undead don't even know about your presence, they can't cast anything on u or hit u, about what magical attacks description says? MAGIC :wink:
    this scroll must give immunity to undead "claws" weapons thats all. Btw skeletons should be removed from description cos they use swords.
    Post edited by Maxxximus on
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The pnp verison wears off on any hostile attack but does grant effectively a undead specific version of sanctuary, however intelligent undead are supposed to get a save to resist it. (the scroll just says it has the same effect as the protection from undead mage spell, which is 8th level and has the same effect)

As for making it like the description....I don't 100% know if it's possible to add a very specific immunity like that. If it is, then that would be a reasonably acceptable compromise.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You would have to start by removing Protection from Creature Type (opcode 100) then figuring out how to make it so that an undead's "natural" weapons can't hit you while "non-natural" weapons do hit you; this is doubly difficult given that all weapons are treated as items, even claws. Impossible? Probably not. Worth pursuing? Definitely not--the realized benefits wouldn't be worth the effort put into the project.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Not a bug. You could always make a Feature Request (or request a mod, or even mod it yourself) since the behaviour is indeed odd (well, overpowered).
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Ticket #13162 exists for IWD:EE, will think about whether a game specific ticket is needed.
    Thanks
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Gate70
    Incidentally, even if this does not relate to an atomic effect, allocating an official pair scriptingstate / value when scrl09 is used would certainly help modders to deal with such a protection whatever the modder's goal is.
    From there people can more easily recode the behaviour of a lich (or vampire etc...) facing such protected characters if they want to.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Maxxximus said:

@Elminister ... what do u think about this scroll?

I'm feeling a bit left out :D

I'd prefer it personally if it worked more like Improved Invisibility against only undead (so that once you attack them they can see you but can't target you with spells). But the status quo is fine too.
    elminster said:

Maxxximus said:

@Elminister ... what do u think about this scroll?

I'm feeling a bit left out :D

I'd prefer it personally if it worked more like Improved Invisibility against only undead (so that once you attack them they can see you but can't target you with spells). But the status quo is fine too.
    So lich cannot attack u with direct spells? :astonished:@elminster cheater :tongue: