Skip to content

The sanity of the developers under question

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Oops - should have checked which forum I was in first! Yes, my comments applied mostly to BGEE.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    edited February 2015
    Belanos said:

<

The highlight feature is not a Beamdog addition either, it's always been in the game as well.

Not on iPad it wasn't!

The functionality on the tablet is slightly different than on a desktop. And I find that change to be inspired, and VERY useful... on a tablet. It would be of no particular benefit on a desktop.
  • AskinwhobeAskinwhobe Member Posts: 16
    I'm wondering if my version needed patching. I'll have to check now. I have wanted to punch someone due to pathing issues and if that is a bug that was fixed and I've been playing without the fix!! Well, let's just see here...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I get that we're all fans of the game here, but I can't believe people are defending the inventory mechanics of this game. I think it would be a lot better with some modernization. Thankfully the devs have made some modifications for ease of use, but frankly, it could do with a redesign.

I never really had much of a problem with the inventory system in the game except the non-stacking of gems and jewelry. I've been playing these games since BG1 came out, and the Enhancements in this regard seem like icing on an already perfectly adequate cake.
    Yeah, I still play BGT (with vanilla BG2 items stacking limits), having 476 stacks of 5 potions doesn't bother me much (and if I'm playing solo I don't pick up much potions after all, and if I have a party I have enough inventory space for sure).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I feel like I'm constantly having to shuffle my inventory. It's not fun and makes me want to quit the session.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    In vanilla BG2 there are a lot of potion cases, scroll cases and gem bags, although there's only one ammo belt.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That seems ripe for abuse :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @jackjack of course it is :)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm confused by the affection for modern list-based inventories. It's like, "how can we make the worst possible use of the mouse-driven pc interface?" Don't get me wrong, I get that these things are subjective, but I relate to that particular preference about as well as a blind man relates to the color blue.
    I never said I prefer "list-based inventories". Actually, I don't even know what that means.
    elminster's got it. I'm referring to inventories that take the form of a list of all your items, typically displayed in a single vertical column. It's hugely common in RPGs these days. I do realize, @FinneousPJ, that you haven't referred to those specifically. I think I was conflating your preference for modern-style inventories (which are usually list-based) with something someone else mentioned, so I apologize for that. Nonetheless, I have to wonder what modern inventory systems you prefer.
  • NukefaceNukeface Member Posts: 91
    Here's the kind of inventory for Nukeface:

The best equipment money can buy on your person and a large stash of gold. The rest will be unloaded at the nearest ma and pa store for limitless amounts of wealth (despite the fact that the villagers are destitute and never seem to get any richer). Then I stroll back out with empty pockets because my gold is apparently held in a pocket dimension that only appears when it's time for me to upgrade my gear. Or I have an interesting form of Medieval Mobile Deposit on my Smart-Sword with a Bread-Based Debit Brick. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, specifically.

That's how an inventory should work. Basically, just a giant sack of loot.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Money has weight in Everquest. Or at least it did. It's not the feature the players love the most from what I've discerned.
    @Jarrakul Now that you ask, I don't remember getting frustrated in Divinity: OS. But when I was posting, I didn't have a specific system in mind, just that this game would certainly do with some improvement.
    I'm not really arguing that I don't think BG's inventory system could be improved, so on that we're on the same page. It's hardly the platonic ideal of an inventory system, and I can think of a couple improvements off the top of my head. But I'd argue it's the best inventory system I've ever had to use, and most modern inventory systems are substantially worse, imo.

Also, my experience of Divinity: OS's inventory system was that it was like a less elegant version of BG's. So take that as you will.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

although I do feel guilty carting around a dozen suits of armor, or 16 Halberds, or some other combination where bulk rather than mass makes it look silly.

I always found it amusing that a character with sufficient strength could equally well carry around 16 suits of armor or 16 rings or other small items. Could you add a single arrow to the inventory of either character? No. They are tapped out. Equally tapped out. I always tried to picture my character with the 7 suits of platemail (plus the one she was wearing) along with 8 or 9 halberds and two-handed swords (along with the 3 plus bow she was already wielding and wearing).

Better yet, I liked my F/M/T who would stealth up to the enemy while holding 5 suits of fullplate and 8 different swords and staves in his inventory. Verrrry sneaky.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    AHF said:

although I do feel guilty carting around a dozen suits of armor, or 16 Halberds, or some other combination where bulk rather than mass makes it look silly.

I always found it amusing that a character with sufficient strength could equally well carry around 16 suits of armor or 16 rings or other small items. Could you add a single arrow to the inventory of either character? No. They are tapped out. Equally tapped out. I always tried to picture my character with the 7 suits of platemail (plus the one she was wearing) along with 8 or 9 halberds and two-handed swords (along with the 3 plus bow she was already wielding and wearing).

Better yet, I liked my F/M/T who would stealth up to the enemy while holding 5 suits of fullplate and 8 different swords and staves in his inventory. Verrrry sneaky.
    I always wanted to implement some kind of space regulator, like with small, medium and large item, and (just throwing out random numbers) small items like rings and scrolls took up half a space, medium items like small swords and wands took up 1, and large items like halberds and armor took up 4. Or something like that, maybe a liniar numerical system with sizes from 1-10 or whatever. I don't know.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited February 2015
    meagloth said:

AHF said:

I always wanted to implement some kind of space regulator, like with small, medium and large item, and (just throwing out random numbers) small items like rings and scrolls took up half a space, medium items like small swords and wands took up 1, and large items like halberds and armor took up 4. Or something like that, maybe a liniar numerical system with sizes from 1-10 or whatever. I don't know.
    That is another style of inventory that other games have done. Resident Evil 4 pops to mind where you have a box of squares that is your inventory and items take up different numbers of those square cells depending on their size.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Wasn't NWN like that?

Verily :D
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    jackjack said:

Wasn't NWN like that?

Verily :D
    Diablo 1 back in 1997 (never played the others) IIRC.