Skip to content

The sanity of the developers under question

its 2015 now and for those of you who think patch 1.3 was any good think again

I dont care if the patch addressed a million bugs and issues, the fact is it hasnt addressed all the important ones (except pathing)

Iam talking about:

We still all play the inventory game, and without dungeon-be-gone mod we'd still be wasting our time on that despicable dungeon as well as being forced to watch the tens of "commercial breaks" any time we hit the rest button

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I thought we had that already? You mean taking a PC through a second time for another round go tomes, or importing a kitted PC after completing black pits is not a New Game+ mode?
  • morte_plmorte_pl Member Posts: 6
    elminster said:

The inventory is what it is. They've already improved the game over the original BG2 by doubling the amount of ammo you can have in each stack, letting you stack vampire stakes, and by letting you see what spells you have memorized (through the green background for scrolls). .

Is it really green...? Because I think I might be colorblind
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    It's green for the scrolls you can learn, red for the ones you can't use/learn and none for the ones you already know/can use
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I was about to write "don't feed the troll", but since he haven't replied even once I guess he was indeed sincere.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited February 2015
    I get that we're all fans of the game here, but I can't believe people are defending the inventory mechanics of this game. I think it would be a lot better with some modernization. Thankfully the devs have made some modifications for ease of use, but frankly, it could do with a redesign.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Ravenslight Do you think the modifications done made it worse? What is good about the inventory management in the original games? How about now?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Actually, the highlight feature is something I would like to see dialed back a little on the PC/Mac versions as well! Even though this was actually a Bioware feature, added with the ToSC expansion.

I remember in my early games carefully scanning every screen, looking for hidden look. The ultimate prize was certainly a certain ring found below the Friendly Arms Inn. There are quite a few of these hidden caches lurking around the game, that are not obviously containers or doors. It would be (for me) much more satisfying to have to search for them old-school style, especially given the power of the rewards they often yield.

I still feel a guilty shame every time a raid a field outside Nashkel for the one cache I never found for myself. The lure is too much to let it lie, but it feels like something given away cheaply, rather than something I earned.

(I also know this would be mostly unacceptable to a significant majority of the customer base, but I can dream...)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited February 2015

The addition of 3 items of holding for scrolls, potions and gems means the game can take on more of a raiding style than an RPG, where you are forced to make choices (what is the best loot to take, what do we leave behind?

What addition? We are discussing Baldur's Gate 2 here, and it always had bags for scrolls, potions and gems, as well as one for ammo and a bag of holding for general items. Unfortunately though Beamdog didn't alter the way some of those were distributed in the game, so you don''t come across any ammo or potion bags until the ToB portion of the game.
    atcDave said:

So both the Quick Loot, and the highlight feature (to find the exact sweet spot for certain doorways and other objects) are very useful.

The highlight feature is not a Beamdog addition either, it's always been in the game as well.