Skip to content

Party size in IWD.

What party size do you normally play with in IWD? Do you solo the game? Duo it? Can't play without a full 6 man party?

I normally play with a 4 man team, very rarely do i get a full 5 or 6 man. Right now i'm playing it with two characters (duo) and it's fun and entertaining, but feels a little bit odd only having two characters to control.

What about you?

Comments

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I tried with 2, but gave up in Dragons Eye, I once made it with 3, but usually i end up taking 4 or 5. Well, must be because I like to play with no dual or multi class : )
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Considering the high amount of XP in HoF and the extraordinarily large HP pools, I actually tend towards larger parties in IWD than in BG2. There's also a lot more buffs to throw around, which scale nicely with more people.

That being said, without an SCS-style mod the game isn't difficult enough for party size to have a hugely noticeable impact. I've tried 3-6 and it wasn't a big deal either way, though it felt like 5-6 was the most convenient spot to be in. I say convenient because there are things to consider like early game etc. where a small party may be stronger due to denser XP, but less convenient due to higher micro demands etc. And without a TTT mod, I'm just super lazy :P
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    bengoshi said:

To me, IWD is in the first place a game where I can try those character's classes and kits I haven't taken too often in BG for a charname. Also, it's interesting to see how different classes add to each other.

Of course, there're new spells in the game, there're bard songs, there're new druid forms.

So, to me, 6 party members are the way to go. I want to try and to see too many characters. I can't limit myself.

QFT.
  • reivisionreivision Member Posts: 21
    bengoshi said:

To me, IWD is in the first place a game where I can try those character's classes and kits I haven't taken too often in BG for a charname. Also, it's interesting to see how different classes add to each other.

Of course, there're new spells in the game, there're bard songs, there're new druid forms.

So, to me, 6 party members are the way to go. I want to try and to see too many characters. I can't limit myself.

Exactly how I'm playing IWDEE. I never played BG2, so I'm exploring all the class options before going back to a more magic-heavy and story-heavy game.

And if there's enough experience to go around, why not? The more, the merrier!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    My favorite is the four member party. But if I'm playing with the NPC Project, I use the full six so I can see all the character banters.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2015
    I would gladly play with an 8 member party if it was possible...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    I always go with a full party (6 characters). I play with some addional self imposed rules (i.e. roll 3d6 for each ability score per character, no maximum hp on level up, only reload on full party wipe, standard d&d difficulty, etc.) and a full party guarantees better chances of survival.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    Four characters is my favourite, though I may try three at some point.
    With a larger party I lose track of what the different characters can do. With only 4 characters I learn to maximize the abilities of each one.
  • by_the_swordby_the_sword Member Posts: 42
    I enjoy playing with parties of four. But I find myself pining for another front-liner.

I also feel spoiled if I have an archer.
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    I played with 4 and 6; 6 was easier in the beginning and at times more convenient, but I think 4 was more fun for me. Problem is, that limits party-building a good bit, meaning I usually have 1-2 multiclasses (although a more narrow, 4-single-class party is of course quite viable).

I tried a bit recently with a solo sorcerer, but it isn't worth the effort, so I may solo with some other character that doesn't rely entirely on spells.