Skip to content

How are charname and friends so powerful?

Frank2368Frank2368 Member Posts: 3
One thing that always bothered me a bit is the fact that the main character and his/her companions can potentially get to level 30+ when it took Elminster more than a thousand years to get to level 29, and Drizzt more than a hundred to merely level 16.
Is there some reason for this? Or is it just a game thing?
Post edited by Frank2368 on

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Game thing, it wasn't so bad with BG1 but once BG2 hit and you could reach the epic levels, well you were almost a god and nothing could stop you.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Not everyone has god's blood...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Yep, it's not age, but experience, that determines a character's level. With all the fighting that the BG crew goes through, they've at least killed more and more dangerous creatures then Drizzt.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    did you know that thalantyr in high hedge spent some 50 odd years to become as powerful as he has? ( I believe he is around level 17 or so) and yet, it can be done by pcs in about a year's time, good stuff :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Nimran said:

Yep, it's not age, but experience, that determines a character's level. With all the fighting that the BG crew goes through, they've at least killed more and more dangerous creatures then Drizzt.

Drizzt begs for you to save him from a few gnolls at a time in which you've probably already wiped out an entire fortress full of them.
    sarevok57 said:

did you know that thalantyr in high hedge spent some 50 odd years to become as powerful as he has? ( I believe he is around level 17 or so) and yet, it can be done by pcs in about a year's time, good stuff :)

Living in a pissant town will do that to you.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I've said it before: the real power of the lord of murder is the ability to keep killing things, nonstop, with very little rest or downtime. Even finding new targets is easy when you're the spawn of Bhaal.

But yeah, it is a video game thing, and it's at least a bit ridiculous however you explain it.
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    Hey, Drizzt is still grinding gnolls while Charname and Co. are hunting down basilisks, vampiric wolves, and wyverns, and eventually beholders, dragons, and liches. Do you know how many gnolls Drizzt needs to kill to gain even one level? :wink:

For serious, the party is constantly being presented with conflict that forces them to improve ... or die. Yes, it's a game thing, but Charname's Bhaalspawn essence made him (or her of course) a target in a way most other characters are not. Sarevok and Irenicus came after him first. In ToB Charname is barely out of Suldanesselar and discovers he's already being targeted by The Five. The allies and resources needed to put an end to those threats in turn required engaging in other conflicts. The choice to settled down like Drizzt in Icewind Dale or Elminster in Shadowdale doesn't come until after ToB.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Has anyone suggested performancr enhancing drugs?

I had a PC start out at 18 str... by the end of the game, he had pumped himself up to 22 strength!

Nobody finds that a little suspicious? Going from very strong but natural looking to a walking ball of muscle, stronger than most giants?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    DreadKhan said:

Has anyone suggested performancr enhancing drugs?

I had a PC start out at 18 str... by the end of the game, he had pumped himself up to 22 strength!

Nobody finds that a little suspicious? Going from very strong but natural looking to a walking ball of muscle, stronger than most giants?

He had his soul ripped out, I think it's pretty reasonable that he might want a bit of an advantage to replace his Bhaalspawn powers. Though I must admit the case is rather similar to Lance Armstrong...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It is surely a game thing. And that is also the reason why most players restart the game after getting too powerful.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Although I prefer BG2 to BG1, and enjoy high level combat (mostly cos I love magic), I do wish they toned down the xp curve and super weapons, especially in ToB. Of course that also means toning down the enemies you come across or giving you a chance to either avoid fighting them or defeat them by more subtle means.

I would love to see an RPG take a risk and give you unbalanced companions and uneven quest difficulty to better reflect a world that isn't set up for you to gradually gain experience against steadily tougher enemies in a linear fashion until you can take on the big bad boss and save the day.

For example in BG you'd expect that Khalid and Jaheira, being experienced adventurers already, ought to be significantly stronger than Imoen or Charname at the start of the game, though the latter might gain experience faster thanks to their divine lineage. In terms of quests, you should get an idea of the difficulty of the quest from information available, and make your own decision on whether your party can handle it. So perhaps there might be a dragon hoarding a great treasure trove in a mountain near your starting town, but common sense would tell you that you should not annoy a dragon with a group of lv5 characters.

I think it should be okay that certain characters are always going to be stronger than others, because an organic and realistic world is not going to be perfectly balanced anyway. If you think about Tolkien's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, neither the Fellowship of the Ring or the Quest of Erebor have "balanced" members, with Gandalf probably stronger than the rest of the company combined. I wish we could see that in an RPG some time, perhaps with a Gandalf-like super party member only showing up occasionally to help you.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Most companions also have ridiculously high dice rolls, Imoen alone has a total of 87, Kagain has 86 IIRC. CHARNAME can obviously go higher if you're patient enough to roll dozens of times. You'd have to be super lucky to get similar stats in P&P.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Heindrich you could look up Forgotten Tales. The offline RPG is fun, though its hard to control stuff perfectly on a tablet. There is a few NPCs to add, though its very light on text, so its not very Roleplay, just number crunching. When I first DLed it awhile back, it was pretty rough and buggy, but it both looks pretty reasonable and plays vastly better than it used to. Its not designed to be balanced, and it definately isn't. Saying this game can be hard is pretty strongly understaying things... it uses lots of exponential growth for stuff, so if you're more than a couple levels too low for an area, you get massacred. Badly. You can get up to 4 NPCs at a time, and you have to choose either the best melee NPC or the Caster, so go with the Caster when the time comes. The caster starts out completely worthless, but after a bunch of levels and gear upgrades, he definately caries the party.

Its a fun game though, if you don't mind grinding here and there, but the spawning system is designed to mob you if things look rough... more enemies seem to result in you spawning... even more enemies. :neutral: When 1 or 2 of an enemy is a tough fight, having 4 more spawn is not a good time, so save often and run away often. The funny part, is that while enemies seem distinctly exponential in growth, your party is more or less linear, other than the Caster, who gets really useful if you pump up Mana... I would recommend not boosting any other stat of his, mana does all the heavy lifting. For everyone else, seems like the dexterity stat is probably the most important.