Skip to content

Stop Using Uber-weapons

Really, just stop.
I don't mean on first play-through obviously, you need to have fun in the smashing and the slashing and the mayhem you cause. Feels great having Crom-Fayr and FoA going whack-a-mole.
But really, 3rd playthrough? 5th, 10th?
You're STILL using them?
Really?
There are so many great weapons in the game that require thought toward use in respect to circumstance. Have you tried them?
Depended on them to see you through?
Assigned them appropriately to your NPCs regarding their attributes?

I did a playthrough with a Druid using only spears and had an OUTSTANDING experience.

You would perhaps be surprised what a club can do for you, heh heh. Worth a trial at least.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    You could also try approaching the issue from the other end, and mod the game for more difficulty. Put those weapons to some actual test!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    C:CreateItem("godbow")

Then you won't feel so bad about using Crom-Faeyr. >:)
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2015
    Nimran - It's all in fun. Personally I do not care what a person utilizes. The post was only meant to admittedly, "forcefully" heh heh, suggest there are other opportune cudgels available.
    No rant suggested.
    p.s. admittedly, I like to shake the tree on occasion.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Sharguild said:

I did a playthrough with a Druid using only spears and had an OUTSTANDING experience.

My last BG2 run, I actually had Minsc never touch a 2H weapon and played him completely differently. I realized I always built the characters the same way, so I'm trying to break myself of that meta-knowledge powergaming I have with the old IE games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Sharguild said:

Nimran - It's all in fun. Personally I do not care what a person utilizes. The post was only meant to admittedly, "forcefully" heh heh, suggest there are other opportune cudgels available.
    No rant suggested.
    p.s. admittedly, I like to shake the tree on occasion.

Ah, I see. I'm an honest man at heart, and an honest man is a man that you can trust to take things the wrong way. :smile:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Yeah!

Time to complete the game with ninjatos!
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    Eh. I use Casomyr and Crom Faeyr and the rest for the same reason I still play on Normal with no increased difficulty mods after all these years and always play with a full party: I find kicking arse more fun than getting my arse kicked. I find the exploration, roleplaying and character interaction more engaging than the combat challenge most of the time.

I'm not a power gamer by any means, but when the game drops powerful tools into my lap I don't throw them away if I have a character who can make good use of them.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    As someone who likes running, say, multiple levels of Watcher's Keep on a single rest, I have to say I appreciate some of the better weapons in the game, even if I'm not wedded to always using the absolute strongest. But I agree with the sentiment. While I have played with SCS on, I'm found the greatest enjoyment, for me, comes from intentionally limiting myself in various ways.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I started a BG1 run with a cavalier using spears and halberds. The idea is that he was originally trained to fight while on horseback...then Sarevok happened. ;) I don't know how BG2 is gonna fly when there's Carsomyr taunting me with its glorious holy aura...but we'll see.

I also ran a sorcerer who exclusively used darts for a long while, which was pretty difficult in the early game. Not so much anymore now that he's got so many spells.

My most interesting run has been a kensai/druid who's been using quarterstaves like a boss. XD Quarterstaves are amazing! Crushing damage, two-handed bonuses, good range, backstab... I always thought of quarterstaves as that really lame starting weapon that you leave on the side of the road after you buy something much cooler--like a manly SWORD--but ever since this run, I've completely turned my head around. ^_^
    bengoshi said:

Yeah!

Time to complete the game with ninjatos!

*gasp*

I'd do it! I wanna do it! Dual-wielding ninjatos? YES!

*goes to make a new character...who will likely never see the light of day*
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Quite frankly stopping to use the best weapons in the game would not change anything: there is OP weapons in every weapon class.
    They are just slightly less OP than Foa, CF, ...
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2015
    I also ban myself from using the most powerful SOA items, and soft ban myself from using the next best tier before TOB.

Likewise, I avoid min/maxing my stats at character creation, play minimal reload, restrict my resting, avoid any exploits that rely on quirks of the game engine, avoid using HLAs before TOB, and greatly enjoy item location randomizer mods so that I can't rely quite so heavily on my own game knowledge to carry me.

On the other hand, while I appreciate SCS style AI improvements, I find many of the altered uber monsters you tend to come across in mods pretty distasteful.