Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Indeed. Especially isometric games would face more than a few complications with movements other than walking/running for player characters and enemies alike. This is probably why in Pillars of Eternity, both swimming and climbing was simulated with "dialogue choices". Which is not bad at all. But I can't help to feel there are better ways of implementing such things.

Personally, I really liked the RWS Swimming Beta mod for NwN2.

Judging from the teaser, it's pretty close to what I would like to see in upcoming D&D titles. Even if it looks like the author didn't (or couldn't) create a "diving" feature. But it's still awesome in any case.
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

@the_spyder Do you think the devs will just work on drinking all the coffee during that extra time instead of working on the game?

Please note that I did not say that the delay in the release of the game would not result in people not working on it. They may or may not. I make no statement in that regard what so ever.

However, there is no guarantee that any extra work (always assuming that such does exist) will result in a better (or worse) game.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2015
    This is getting a little off-topic, but based on the posts above about swimming in games, I just want to point out that almost the entire final act of Might and Magic 7 is set underwater, fighting giant sharks and the like. I don't think Might and Magic 6-8 get enough credit for being the first 3-D open world RPG's.

Might and Magic 9 had swimming and climbing mechanics, but that whole game got ruined when 3-DO went out of business before it could be completed, and was released in desperation in unfinished state before the company shut down.

Okay, that's a lot off topic. Sorry.

On topic: The more I hear about Sword Coast Legends, the more it looks like it is going to be a huge disappointment.

EDIT: I thought of another game with underwater segments - Knights of the Old Republic. Even World of Warcraft has a level 70-75 zone that is completely underwater, and places to swim in almost every zone. Morrowind had a lot of climbing in it, and skills like jumping to assist with that. I'm sure other examples abound.
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisovthelovebat
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

@the_spyder Do you think the devs will just work on drinking all the coffee during that extra time instead of working on the game?

Please note that I did not say that the delay in the release of the game would not result in people not working on it. They may or may not. I make no statement in that regard what so ever.

However, there is no guarantee that any extra work (always assuming that such does exist) will result in a better (or worse) game.
    That seems nonsensical to me. If they are working on the game for an extra month, what are they doing if it does not translate to the game as delivered?
    @FinneousPJ - writing/working on a program is not like building a brick wall. Man hours doesn't translate directly into improved quality. You hope and pray that every time you write a line of code or track an issue, you can fix it or in some way improve or further the project, but that doesn't guarantee that you will be able to do so.

I do not speak to the skill of the people working on the program. That is largely immaterial for my statement. Effort does not "Necessarily" equal benefit in programming, pure and simple. After all, fix one thing that could potentially break something else.

But at the end of the day, we don't know that they are even working on it, or what aspect they ARE working on if they are putting in the hours. A delay in release date does NOT necessarily mean anything other than the publishers had some reason to change the date.

It is HOPED that they release a better product. But it is by no means a certain thing.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @the_spider I agree in a creative process that is true. But the creative process is already finished. Now more work certainly should translate to a better product.
    @FinneousPJ - I'm in no way saying that it won't lead to a better product, and sincerely hope that it does.

My comment was that it appeared people were assuming that a delayed release was a GUARANTEE of a better product. It isn't a guarantee of anything. But I HOPE it means a better product.

Nuff said on this as this is WAY off topic. If we still don't see eye to eye, let's agree to disagree. OK?
    FinneousPJ
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

EDIT: I thought of another game with underwater segments - Knights of the Old Republic. Even World of Warcraft has a level 70-75 zone that is completely underwater, and places to swim in almost every zone. Morrowind had a lot of climbing in it, and skills like jumping to assist with that. I'm sure other examples abound.

I was thinking of this too when I saw someone mention swimming but I didn't think MMO's fit the bill of RPG's. I guess they do so I'll throw GW2 there as well. And ArenaNet has done that very well.
    KamigoroshiBelgarathMTH
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Jagged Alliance 2 had the best swimming.

*scriver drowns*
    FinneousPJKamigoroshiNimran
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    So I'm weak and ended up buying it to check it out (hey I lasted 11 days...heh). So I've been checking it out today :)
    mlneveseFinneousPJ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    Anyways, unfortunately I only had maybe 4 hours to play around with it this weekend. Sounds like a lot of time but to be honest it takes awhile to figure out some of the basic things (and its entirely possible that at times you may need to delete maps because some information you input can't be changed without resetting a map).

I spent most of that time creating a module. So I have started a module involving a murder in Neverwinter (your efforts to discover the culprit, who this woman was, etc). There aren't any "Acts" but I have tried to basically make the story such that people could complete part of it and then walk away with at least some sense of completion. Not sure how module sharing is going to go down, and me personally DMing anything is unlikely, but it was a fun little distraction. Still needs everything I outlined in my earlier post though :)

(along with Gnomes...don't forget to add in Gnomes!)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Why does WotC hate gnomes? No gnomes in Neverwinter Online, DDO, and now no gnomes in SCL QQ
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited September 2015
    I'm thinking that 'Xcom: Terror from the deep' had some of the 'Best' underwater sequences.

(this is sarcasm since apparently we need to call it out these days).
    Kamigoroshi[Deleted User]

Sarcasm sadly doesn't always work on written form.
    Yannir said:

If you had ever played Xcom: Terror from the Deep, I would hope that the context would have been a strong hint that I was being sarcastic. But then again maybe not a lot of people played TfTD.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    After reading the first impressions of an italian user of this game, my expectations are pretty low.
    the_spyder

Yannir said:

If you had ever played Xcom: Terror from the Deep, I would hope that the context would have been a strong hint that I was being sarcastic. But then again maybe not a lot of people played TfTD.
    I don't actually try out a lot of games, I just play the ones I have to death.

After reading the first impressions of an italian user of this game, my expectations are pretty low.

Yeah, I've been sliding that direction for a while now as well. Most of what I've read suggests that at minimum the target market is not someone like me that wants a true successor to NWN2, but more someone that wants a quick 'Diablo' style frenetic game play using D&D 'Style' rules.

Not that there is anything 'Wrong' with Diablo, but for my money that is not the experience that I want from a D&D game.

I'll still keep an eye on it, but rather suspect that I won't spend any money on it till at least it hits the discount racks, and maybe not even then.
    FinneousPJShapiroKeatsDarkMagethelovebat
    No Drow
    No Gnomes
    No Death Domain Cleric
    No Bard

I guess I can roll an Elf Necro-Wizard.
    I'm wondering if I should buy it early and show my support for race/class DLC or just buy the GotY edition a year from now that has everything.
    FinneousPJShapiroKeatsDarkMagethelovebat
    Vallmyr said:

or just buy the GotY edition a year from now that has everything.

That's awfully optimistic to believe that it will actually BE GotY, isn't it?
    Well, I guess I don't mean GotY but I mean like, the comprehensive version that includes all DLC, Expansions, Etc. I always see them labeled as Game of the Year so I just threw that tag on even if it isn't actually Game of the Year.
    LOL. I got what you were saying and just trying to make a cheap joke...

You mean like the "Ultimate" edition. And that's a fair point that there will probably be one at some stage. And yeah, if they are planning iterative DLC (presumably at a price) that makes the game even less attractive in my book. But that's supposition on my part. We will see what we get soon enough I guess.
    Vallmyr
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Vallmyr said:

No Drow
    No Gnomes
    No Death Domain Cleric
    No Bard

I guess I can roll an Elf Necro-Wizard.
    I'm wondering if I should buy it early and show my support for race/class DLC or just buy the GotY edition a year from now that has everything.

And no Dragonborns.
    Vallmyr
    Arghhh
    Still trying to decide if I should pre-order or not.
    I imagine I'd enjoy the game
    But after Inquisition I'm super wary on pre-ordering things.
    Might someone who's been playing the beta grant insight if it's fun as a D&D CRPG?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm certainly not pre-ordering it. I enjoyed Inqusition, but I waited for it to be reduced to a reasonable price before buying it. I enjoyed it more for paying what it was worth. As for SCL, Steam is only offering a pre-order reduction on the basic version, and it sounds like the good stuff is all in the delux edition, so there really isn't an incentive not to wait until the reviews are in at least.
    FinneousPJSjerriethelovebat