Skip to content

So, I rolled a 100...

UrdlenUrdlen Member Posts: 2
As the title says it, rolled a 100 on my Human Berserker, and in half an hour. Wanted to quit and take 90, but rolled a couple of minutes more and voila! Since I never dualled and considering this fact, should I go for a Mage or Thief and at what level? I was considering level 9 (I want to go through whole saga with this char). What are good weapon proficiencies for this kind of combo (be it a Mage or a Thief)? Thanks for any help :)

My stats after redistribution: STR 18/03, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 18, WIS 18, CHA 10

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    It's sod's law that you roll 100 and get 18/03 for your strength :)
    I've heard that berserker-mage is good but I don't really dual myself so you'd be best asking someone else. a good weapon proficiency would be anything really, If your berserker gets to level 9 you should be able to grand master a weapon and you'll get your proficiency points back when you reactivate the class. two handed sword would be a good choice but really anything you feel like will work well for the whole saga (apart from clubs I think).
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    edited February 2015
    The Strength Book will kick you up to 19 from any value of 18. Granted it shows up rather late in the game but in the long term there's no penalty to getting a terrible Strength Value so long as it is 18.

A Fighter dualed to a mage gives you a lot of survivability (High HP plus whatever bonuses come from the Kit) plus Weapon Proficiencies (maxing out a ranged weapon would be handy).

A Fighter dualed to a Thief gives some interesting options. Use Any Item in epic levels can be nice. And you stop gaining a lot of benefits from being a Fighter at a certain point. If you get Grandmastery in a weapon you can Backstab with you'll be cooking with gas.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Why not dual to Druid or cleric?

Druid has some nice scimitars around in bg1 and 2. Especially having access to Belm gives the max of 5 attacks/round in bg2 even when you dual at 9 (with the gauntlets). Druid has the fastest progression to level 10 to finish the dual. Druid has the highest stat requirements of any dual (as you need charisma).

Cleric is nice too as your thaco will go lower due to Holy Power. The main problem with it is that you'll cap out at 4 attacks/round though Flail of Ages. However, GM in Flails means you miss out on the best blunt weapons in bg1.

Thief seems wasted on a berserker. UAI is great to overcome kensei and wizard slayer disadvantages but berserker has no disadvantages that UAI will impact. Using thief armour on a berserker is annoying too.

Mage is always a good choice, as everyone knows.

Tresset said:

@Wowo I dont think dualling to druid is possible.

You should be able to, it's just hard. I think you need to be True Neutral, then have the right stats.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @CaptRory Rats. I was too slow in deleting my comment.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Tresset said:

Aha! Wait to get caught cheating, cheater. :smiley:
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Tresset said:

Haha busted.

Yes, to dual to Druid you need:
    15 strength
    17 wisdom
    17 charisma
    True Neutral
    Human

That leaves intelligence as the only dump stat making you very vulnerable against mind flayers (unless you roll a 100!).

18/xx strength
    18 dexterity
    18 constitution
    10 intelligence
    18 wisdom
    18 charisma

Is perfect stats for the character. +1 int tome in bg1 gives you 11 int to use wands and scrolls and survive 2 hits from a flayer. A roll of 98 works okay too as charisma can start at 16 and bumped to 17 with the tome but it's nice to hit 20 for shop discounts.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, anything but Druid is a bit of a waste. Go with Clubs or Scimitars for your primary weapon, though staves are very much an option too, there are some really good Druid staves in BG2. Belm can be used offhand, and is useful even if you went clubs just for that 1 extra attack, though honestly, in SoA clubs are surprisingly one of the stronger choices vs casters especially. ToB has a pretty decent club, but the ToB scimitar is better.

Going Druid will make life pretty easy though, depending when you dual. 13th is a HUGE slog, and unless you want to experience most of BG2 as a Vanilla Druid, just go for 9th probably.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I love berserker->druid, and I'm loving the general druid love in this thread, but if you want to stick with the original statline, you could have tons of fun with cleric, too. I'd actually shy away from mage unless you want a seriously easy time of it, because that statline does not need more power.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited February 2015
    What's really impressive is that you managed to roll a 100 on a single class fighter. 100 is no big deal for classes like cleric/rangers and bards, but for a plain fighter those are incredibly rare. Good thing you made him human.

Edit: You should consider exporting a level 1 version of that character, for bragging rights/future use.
    Once I get a really good roll I just cheat up to 18's then adjust down. I've been using the same 103 since BG:EE came out =-3
  • UrdlenUrdlen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advices. I really don't know what class to dual. Is ++ in Flail and Two-Weapon fighting OK? I want to dual since I've never done that before and go through whole saga with this Charname. Currently my alignment is NE. Basically, Druid is not an option since I've dumped Charisma. Considering that Cleric is probably a better choice, maybe I'll put some points into Hammers? I am just confused If I go the Mage route which weapon is good to master since I will just get a + in Sling and Dagger from Mage levels.

And don't worry, this character was exported the minute it entered Candlekeep :P
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Dual flails. Have the flail of ages in one hand and the defender of ages in the other. +20% physical resistance and +1 AC. Then wear Roranrch's Helm for an extra +50% crushing resistance.

This gives you good offensive and defensive capabilities.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    If you dual to cleric, you can (ab)use Armour of Faith with the Regeneration spell, while swinging DoE in your,offhand. You can get pretty good resistance to most damage easily, and your high regeneration will make dropping you a real chore.