Skip to content

ToB - Best Bows Thread?

I know this comes down to personal preference to a point. I want to see what ranged weapons people prefer for bows, slings, darts, and the like.

For me I like K'logarath (although not super efficient lol) its an axe boomerang!

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I have no idea for Throne of Bhaal (for me it was all magic and melee weapons by that stage), but for most of BG2, my favourite bow was the Tuigan Bow, that rate of fire is deadly, even if the enchantment is nothing to shout about. (There is plenty of enchanted ammo in BG2, which helps.)
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    the best are the gesen bow and firetooth, as they both do decent damage and have magical ammo that can hit anything
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Shortbow of Gesen, all day every day.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited March 2015
    Gesen because it's +4.

Tuigan because it can get to max APR.

Firetooth because it's +4.

Light Crossbow of Speed because it can get to near-max APR.

I notice a pattern! Also, only Firetooth is technically ToB, though it's available in SoA. The actual ToB-only ranged weapons are sadly not that great.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The +5 darts from the Cloak of Stars.

Normally they only last 24 hours, but if you sell them to a merchant and buy them back, the resulting stack will be permanent. Or, you can just toss them in an Ammo Belt, and they will stay there forever.

It's an infinite supply of +5 ranged weapons with 3 base APR. I used these to great effect in a solo no-reload SCS2 run of SoA.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I think it's usually called a bow "string," not a bow "thread."

But seriously, the Crimson Dart is pretty amazing for how early you can get it (for free!) and the fact that so many classes can use it. Still, my absolute favorite ranged weapon is a Melf's Minute Meteor. Those things aren't even fair.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Godbow! No? Fine!

Big Metal Rod Firetooth +5 and Scorcher Ammo, Frag Grenades, and Pulse Ammo! Big fat damage output there!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The Frag Grenades and Scorcher Ammunition work great with Archers' Called Shot, as the STR drain is area-effect, albeit not party-friendly. The Scorcher Ammunition also appears to hit twice, and tests have found that it drains about 50% more STR than a normal weapon. Poison Weapon should work the same way.