Skip to content

Iron Golems

What type of weapon is effective against iron golems?

Likewise what type of weapon is effective against adamantine golems?

The only weapon I have found that is effective is melf's minute meteors and the meteors only do 2 damage a hit!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Both Iron and Adamantine golems require +3 weapons to hit.

They have 95% damage reduction so that's why you do only 2 damage a hit.

I can advice the Firetooth crossbow against them. With it you won't risk being heavily critted in melee.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    They're also completely immune to magic, if I remember right, unless it does Physical damage like Magic Missile. I'm not sure though.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    CaeDares said:

They're also completely immune to magic, if I remember right, unless it does Physical damage like Magic Missile. I'm not sure though.

They are also completely immune to fire and cold damage. Depends on the type of golem on what they are immune to exactly. FoA +5 usually hits with 2-3 dmg-types + physical. Golems are also immune to backstabs.

If you normally do 1-19 dmg, you will hit an adamantite golem with 1 dmg. 20-29 dmg normally causes 2 dmg to the golem, and 30+ dmg causes 3 dmg. Not sure about numbers higher up. Blunt weapons are the best bet against golems of any type.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I remember killing them with Air Elemental and a lot of magic missiles
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I find Mordy swords are best at killing these guys.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    They are just plain tedious to fight actually, usually they can be safely cheesed from a distance. MMM is a very good way for certain builds/parties to off them actually.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I hate Clay Golems more, because I don't typically like blunt weapons, it can easily catch me offguard, especially as they come fairly early in the game. By the time you come across Iron (and certainly Adamantite) golems, you normally got plenty of +3 weapons.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Heindrich said:

I hate Clay Golems more, because I don't typically like blunt weapons, it can easily catch me offguard, especially as they come fairly early in the game. By the time you come across Iron (and certainly Adamantite) golems, you normally got plenty of +3 weapons.

*cough* De'arnise hold
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, Winspear was one of the first BG2 sidequests I did. I fistinctly remember reloading vs golems... and Big Red horribly incinerating my party over and over.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @bengoshi Iron Golems don't have 95% resistance to all physical damage, do they? Maybe just all except crushing?
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Clever use of thief's traps can help a lot vs a few of the golem fights.
    edited March 2015
    Might as well mention, Iron Golems and Adamantine Golems don't fit through most doors or narrow passageways. This means they should be no problem for any character with the Crimson Dart, for example.
    Post edited by joluv on
    Wow, great info, @Tresset. Thanks!
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    Where did you founda brain golem ?
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    matrice said:

Where did you founda brain golem ?

The brain golem is in the mind flayer dungeon.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Crimson dart, Tasheron's bow, Gessens bow, Firetooth crossbow and probably that magical sling that shoots magical bullets, these can take down any golem easily from a safe distance, since they all hit with high enchantments. (Well maybe except sand golems, who may be immune to missile damage alltogether)
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    lunar said:

Crimson dart, Tasheron's bow, Gessens bow, Firetooth crossbow and probably that magical sling that shoots magical bullets, these can take down any golem easily from a safe distance, since they all hit with high enchantments. (Well maybe except sand golems, who may be immune to missile damage alltogether)

Clay's as well. Are there even sand golems around?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yannir said:

Are there even sand golems around?

Yes. I fought one in Suldanessellar last night, and there are some in Hexxat's ToB quest.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2015
    In tob there's plenty of them (abazigal lair if i well remember).
    There's also at least one in the watcher keeper
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    This is why I remember my monk runs so fondly. Golemw exploding into chunks of gore, left and right.

I usually meet my first Sand Golem when I pick the more experience option for the Limited Wish spell.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I used to just use lower resistances, then magic missile them to death.
    Would have to cast lower resistances like 3 to 4 times to make this effective.
    Don't know if this still works, or if would just be faster to firetooth em to death
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    I sometimes like to lower resistance and then disintegrate them.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2015
    Tresset said:

I sometimes like to lower resistance and then disintegrate them.

If you are going magic, and are enough level, Imprisonment spell is excellent for an adamantine golem as well. One quick cast and off they go! Repeat freedom/imprisonment a few times to farm xp. (In vanilla bg every time an enemy gets imprisoned you get xp, I am not sure if it is fixed in ee)
    @lunar the real trick with that is actually finding a scroll of Imprisonment. There are none until ToB.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Tresset What level is it? A sorcerer could do it.
    @CaptRory 9 naturally...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Tresset Figured~