Skip to content

Shapeshifter Druid Possible Bugs

CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
Is the Shapeshifter broken? The Werewolf shapeshift says it provides immunity to normal weapons and 20% magic resistance, yet I am taking damage from regular weapons such a Longswords from Flaming Fist Swordsmen.
Are there any more bugs than this?
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2015
    It's not a bug. It's just that the game doesn't implement many of bonuses just for the sake of not making a kit unbalanced. Here's a small comparison between what was actually given and what could be given: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/501938/#Comment_501938

Just think about what an immunity to normal weapons will make in BG1! 95% of enemies won't touch you. Just like @ZanathKariashi said "Because being immune to normal weapons at level 1 is basically god-mode, only a few enemies are wielding magical weapons (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/329894/#Comment_329894)

If you don't agree with how shapeshifters are implemented in the game, you can install the Improved Shapeshifters component from the SCS mod or http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32056/elminsters-bgee-shapeshifting-related-fixes-tweaks by @elminster
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Shapeshift descriptions in BGEE are all messed up. Shapeshift Werewolf should read.

Shapeshift: Werewolf

Strength: 19
    Dexterity: 16

Base Armor Class: 1
    Number of Attacks: 2
    Attack Damage: 1d6 (piercing)

Special Abilities:
    – Magic Resistance: 20%
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    So basically, for an unexplained reason, the Werewolf is a hulking Magic absorption tank that does half the damage it was supposed to do? That's a load of bull, in my opinion. Late game, players won't even resort to using the shapeshifting abilities anymore and just use spells....you might as well have gone with Druid so you could wear armor. I picked the Shapeshifter Kit because I figured it would be cool, but now its just disappointing.
    While I do understand the Immunity to Normal Weapons and most of the enemies you fight only having normal weapons, was it REALLY that hard to change that? I mean, come on. You give enemies later down the road +1 long swords or something. While, yes, the Shape shifter would still be god-mode early on, once you hit a certain point in the road you're going to start getting hammered. Why can't it be like that?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    "Why can't it be like that?" is a rhetorical question.

There were no kits in BG1, so there were no shapeshifters in BG1 where the majority of enemies didn't have "+1 long swords or something".

The EE has brought BG2 kits to BG1 but it cannot be a reason to make them OP and unbalanced.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    bengoshi said:

"Why can't it be like that?" is a rhetorical question.

There were no kits in BG1, so there were no shapeshifters in BG1 where the majority of enemies didn't have "+1 long swords or something".

The EE has brought BG2 kits to BG1 but it cannot be a reason to make them OP and unbalanced.

While I understand that, why bring kits to BG1 if you're not going to balance them out son they fit into the game? Will this happen in BG2?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I think the normal weapons immunity not being there in the first game is fine but I wish the other stats were properly implemented. However I would like to get karoug's immunities as a greater werewolf, see how melissan feels when she doesn't have an anti werewolf sword.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited March 2015
    They should've NEVER implemented the Shapeshifter the way they did in the first place. Creatures like werewolves are discouraged even in PnP games simply because they're difficult to write around, unless you design the campaign around them, but if you're going to give them a werewolf form it SHOULD be at full power instead of gimped for balance.

In PnP the shapeshifter kit is just a master of wild shape. They get it at level 1 instead of level 7, and at level 7 get the ability to partially shift, gaining several physical attributes of a form (physical stats, attack modes, extra modes, like being able to stealth and move silently while in partial-Panther form to make a surprise attack (deals 1d6 extra damage and wounds the target causing them to bleed (requires an unarmed attack)) while still retaining the ability to use weapons and cast spells. (But in exchange, they don't wear armor (and generally go around naked completely naked) since they're more at home in the wilds and taking shifted forms which can't normally benefit from armor anyway.

They can wild shape at will, but if they do it more then a certain number of times per day (1 and +1 per 3 levels that increases as they level per category (Druids can normally shift into a Mammal once per day, Bird once per day, and reptile once per day), they have to make a save (with a stacking penalty for each time they've wildshaped over the limit that day) or be stuck in that shape for 24 hours, at which they have to make another save which if failed becomes permanent. (the easiest way to implement this in game, is to simply give them 1 wild shape of each form at lvl 1 and then 1 more per 3 levels and not worry about the at-will part)

This would of course require an overhaul of shapeshifting in general, because the shapeshifting forms are CRAP, and lack all of the benefits they have in PnP. In PnP the wild shapes are powerful because they are versatile, and give the druid access to abilities or other perks that they wouldn't normally possess (such as the ability to shift into a bird and fly around or shift into a cat of some sort to sneak around and perform surprize attacks, or a bear for powerful melee capabilities, including things like being able to simply tackle a target to the ground and maul them, or a wolf to track and around around quickly) as well as spells to buff those forms, such as being able to attack creatures requiring magical weapons.

I've covered some ideas for how shapeshifting could be improved in other threads that include ideas to make the forms more useful while still keeping the spirit of their PnP purposes so I won't repost it here.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I am going to move this out of the bug section for obvious reasons... Just remember to keep things civil...