Skip to content

why can't I play properly with a group

2»

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think the main reason it seems so difficult to play a 3-person party is because we've never actually tried it before.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    This game is all about party play anyway. Its too primitive for 1 character because the combat system isnt all that difficult. You should understand this. Solo sorcerer runs is just testing the chees-ness of the game. There s also no doubt that a properly managed party is much stronger then a single character. Instead of 1 spell/round you can do 2/3/4 etc. Instead of 1 attacker you have 4-5-6.

Get the team together and see how they work with each other. This is the main appeal for me. You can use multiplayer to do whatever party you require without touching NPCs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited March 2015
    I hope I'm not too late to this thread.

Just like @Blackraven , I feel you, @mumumomo and want to share some tips I've come to which myself.

I guess you turned the AI off. If not, do it ASAP.

First and foremost, managing a party instead of one character is of course harder. You have to give a lot more commands, thus pausing the game more frequently. If you're used to a solo play, you can simply be not ready to face a necessity of much more micromanaging.

As the consequence of that, more often than not, if you play with a party, you let yourself moments when you don't control absolutely everything. And by everything I mean it literally. Instead, when you play with only one character, you conrol all her actions nearly every second. And when you don't control everything you get a chance of a bad thing happening. I've learned it the hard way.

The only way you should act in a SCS-modded no-reload group game is to continue controlling your CHARNAME every second and, if letting anything go as it does, may it be other party members. In other words, I find it absolutely essential to control the main character all the time, no matter how many party members are around.

The second advice I can give is that you shouldn't be afraid to use any potion/wand/scroll you can find and even buy by everyone in the party. Don't let any round of a fight go without a new command for them. You can't tell yourself that because you have a party of 3-4-5-6 characters, you can survive this or that encounter with an easier route. No, it is not so. You still have to cast Resist Fear. You still have to gulp potions of protections. If you have only few of them, use only those characters who are protected.

Don't forget to cast Bless, Chant, Protection from Evil (later Death Ward, Chaotic Commands and sometimes Free Action) before and during (if needed) any major fight you do. Rest often.

What more can I say? Try not to force your run, try not to go to the Durlag's Tower before you're ready, try not to attack the Bandit Camp before you have good AC by all your party members and can more or less protect yourself from Hold Person, Charm Person and multiple ice arrows. You should understand that you can't make certain quests on the stage you could actully do them while playing solo. There're always other areas that you can go to.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As @bengoshi said, you have to pause more frequently. With a full party I probably spend at least 50% of the time in combat with the game paused (i.e. at the end of each round or thereabouts).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    In order to see the actual opinion on the subject of ideal amount of party members, I've made a poll: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/40370/party-of-how-many-people-do-you-find-the-most-difficult-to-play-in-a-no-reload-min-reload-runs