Skip to content

Game Lags After Character Modification

CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
As it says in the Title.
I created a ToB char for fun and maximized her level, gold amount, all that good stuff.
I made a hard save and threw it into EEKeeper. Being a Mage, I added a few Mage spells to her, some Beholder spells, and a dragon's breathe fire ability. I also added a few Cleric spells to her, just to add some spice to the bowl of chaos. I upped her spellbook capacity for each spell level (including Innate, Wizard 1-9, and Cleric 6 & 7) to 300-450 so that I had 50 for every spell. I added some effects to her, which will be shown in the screenshots below, but I have the same effects on another character except for the "Casting Time Modifier" and "Can Use Any Item" and he doesn't lag at all, and he has modified spells, which is something she doesn't have.

When I open the edited save, it immediately begins lagging. I can tell it is because it's raining, and the rain is going very slowly. But the thing is, if I open a spell menu, or a Use Item menu, the lag goes away, even if I open the spell list to cast a spell, which contains every 50 use spell she has. But the moment I go back to where it shows the "Talk To" icon, the weapon icons, the Spell icons and such (aka the main toolbar) the lag immediately begins again. This is the only time it will lag.

I have an Asus EEE Laptop that runs this game perfectly fine, the only time the game actually lags is when a constant AOE spell like Web, Entangle, or Cloudkill are in effect.

It's really starting to bug me because it takes away the entire "chaos" factor and reduces it to an agonizing slow motion, and it's even worse when AOE comes into play.
Is there a reason for this?

SCREENSHOTS

Comments

• CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Bump
    Bump. I'd really appreciate the help with this.
    Gonna keep bumping this until somebody helps out.
    Bumpity bop
    Boopity bumpity
    Seriously, guys. Its under Troubleshooting, meaning I need help. How can 20+ people look at this and not even try to comment?
    CaeDares said:

Boopity bumpity
    Seriously, guys. Its under Troubleshooting, meaning I need help. How can 20+ people look at this and not even try to comment?

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Without doing exactly the same it would be difficult to help. My initial thought would be that customising a character in this way has had some adverse response in the game engine. You could try adding one effect or set of effects at a time to work out what the cause is and not apply that.
    CaeDares
    Apparently it's from how much "Max Can Memorize" I have ( I had it up to 300-450 for each ), I lowered each one to 100 and it persisted so I just flat out got rid of all my spells except for 6 level 1 spells and 200 spells for Cleric (100 for Lvl6, 100 for Lvl7) and the lag is now gone, but it doesn't make sense. Why would increasing how many spells I can memorize make the game lag only when I have the main toolbar open? If anything it should be lagging when I open the spellbook because of how many spells I can add, or when I open the spell toolbar by clicking the Spell icon. It doesn't make sense.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    How do you think the game knows how to build the spell selection that it provides when you click the spell cast button? It has to go through your thousands of spell slots to determine which spells you memorised and how much time. Then, depending on how it's handled, it may have to repeat that over and over in case you cast a spell in the mean time.
    Select another character in your team with fewer spells or none at all and see if it changes anything.
    CaeDares
    Isaya said:

How do you think the game knows how to build the spell selection that it provides when you click the spell cast button? It has to go through your thousands of spell slots to determine which spells you memorised and how much time. Then, depending on how it's handled, it may have to repeat that over and over in case you cast a spell in the mean time.
    Select another character in your team with fewer spells or none at all and see if it changes anything.

I fully understand that and agreed to the consequences of having so many spells, but a constant lagging effect ONLY when you're on the main toolbar? I was expecting a longer save loading time or a bit of lag when I opened the spell selection. It doesn't make sense for it to constantly lag on the main toolbar and then to go away when I open spell selection or my innate spells and item uses...
    Anybody else have any comments that could help me out with this? I've lowered the spell memorizations down under 100 and its helped the lag a >little< but its still obnoxious and kind of ruins my view on how I wanted the character to turn out and kind of dims future modding ideas of mine.
    Bump
    Bump
    Giving it another bump.
    Bumping for 69 views
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I seem to be having a similar problem. My BG1:EE lags whenever I do just about anything. Very odd, no idea what could be causing it...
    CaeDares
    I can't understand what the problem would be. If any modder/EEKeeper/Infinity Engine Professional could enlighten us, I'd appreciate it.
    Bump
    Could you upload your save file so someone can take a look at it?
    Tresset said:

Could you upload your save file so someone can take a look at it?

Should I upload with my spells maxxed out as I originally planned where it lagged the most or my current one that doesn't lag as bad(but is still laggy)?
    How about both?
    CaeDares
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Ideally, before and after save games for comparison—otherwise just the one that is crippling your performance.
    Musigny
    @CaeDares, I tried importing those characters into new games in BG:EE and BG2:EE, and I have no issues on the two computers I tried on (one in particular is sluggish anyway, which is why I keep it around specifically for these occasions, but there was no decrease in performance).

I'm going to guess that the problem is not actually Keeper, rather the number of modifications made to the character. In which case the only advice I can give—since it is going to depend on the machine's own performance when playing the game—is to start removing spells and decrease the number memorised, and keep trying until you get a playable game. In fact, depending on what model you actually have, I'm surprised that the EEE PC actually runs Baldur's Gate desirably—assuming this is what you are referring to, I had one when they first came out (I removed Linux and put Windows onto it. It was sluggish at best, so I found a lightweight version of Fedora to put on instead).
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/like/271757260877?lpid=82&amp;chn=ps&amp;ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%3A80%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmtid%3D1588%26kwid%3D1%26crlp%3D53601919689_324272%26itemid%3D271757260877%26targetid%3D124316380569%26rpc%3D0.16%26rpc_upld_id%3D45541%26rlsatarget%3D%26device%3Dm%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fitm%252Flike%252F271757260877%253Flpid%253D82%2526chn%253Dps%26adtype%3Dpla%26gclid%3DCjwKEAjw56moBRD8_4-AgoOqhV4SJADWWVCcmXsaKtpFZRtn-5UJovFP0CfTSbb-W9SfyVx-NsCLhBoCy6zw_wcB%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0&amp;ul_ref=http://rover.ebay.com:80/rover/1/711-117182-37290-0/2?mtid=1588&kwid=1&crlp=53601919689_324272&itemid=271757260877&targetid=124316380569&rpc=0.16&rpc_upld_id=45541&rlsatarget=&device=m&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2Flike%2F271757260877%3Flpid%3D82%26chn%3Dps&adtype=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjw56moBRD8_4-AgoOqhV4SJADWWVCcmXsaKtpFZRtn-5UJovFP0CfTSbb-W9SfyVx-NsCLhBoCy6zw_wcB&srcrot=711-117182-37290-0

That is the laptop I have.
    I wasn't too surprised it ran, I expected a bit of lag but surprisingly enough it was very playable. It lags during certain effects or multiple things going on at a time, but its not that bad. I'm just a bit surprised that it chooses to lag because of how many extra spells I have.
    I have another char that has 50 of every spell, yet only able to memorize 9. I tried repeating this in EEKeeper on a new char and it refused to keep my spells at 50 and only 9 memorise slots. I'm pretty sure its lagging because of my amount of memory slots and not the spells themselves. Is there a way to modify my char to have 50 but only 9 memory slots? Would I have to use Infinity Engine instead of EEKeeper?
    CaeDares said:

Is there a way to modify my char to have 50 but only 9 memory slots?

Yes, but you run the risk of spells not replenishing (though it's probably the same risk as accidentally equipping a ring which gives you additional spell slots). You can have more spells in your spell book than there are spell slots.
    Musigny
    Troodon80 said:

CaeDares said:

Is there a way to modify my char to have 50 but only 9 memory slots?

Yes, but you run the risk of spells not replenishing (though it's probably the same risk as accidentally equipping a ring which gives you additional spell slots). You can have more spells in your spell book than there are spell slots.
    How would I do so? When I try to do it in EEKeeper it just reverts my spells back to my memorised limit.
    CaeDares said:

How would I do so? When I try to do it in EEKeeper it just reverts my spells back to my memorised limit.

I've done some light editing; Test 3 has only 5 memorisaion slots but still has 50 of each spell. Test 4 has 5 slots, but only 10 of each spell. We can experiment to find an playable option.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    Troodon80 said:

CaeDares said:

I've done some light editing; Test 3 has only 5 memorisaion slots but still has 50 of each spell. Test 4 has 5 slots, but only 10 of each spell. We can experiment to find an playable option.
    Awesome. I'll test it out after work. Until then, could you explain how you got the game to let you use more spells than you have memorization slots? When I use EEKeeper to set it, it just reverts it.
    @CaeDares, just set the current number of memorisation slots to the number you want to use and press save. I've never had any issues with it. The most recent version (1.0.2.9) might be better for you since it is more convinient when changing the number of memorisation slots.
    Musigny