Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @semiticgod do you have a list of spells the Wand of Lightning trick works with? Or maybe a list of spells you know that it doesn't work with would be easier.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As always, @BelgarathMTH is a ray of sunshine.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    One day I might attempt a LoB/Nightmare run. But for the time being I'm enjoying my Insane playthrough(s) with SCS.

I've been bringing up a Cavalier through BG1 over the last week or so, playing a bit here and there. I've just done so much already that I'm like "Where do I start reporting?"

I really enjoy reading about everyone's games. But it has also been nice to be able to play and not worry about recording it all.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Nicholas Todd the Skald, FINAL UPDATE

Welp, we lost our no-reload to a bugged-out greater wolfwere on Werewolf Island. I've never seen this bug before, and I never listened before to all the people who have made complaints about it in the past. This wasn't even Karoug (meaning the only melee weapon we had that could scratch it, and I do mean SCRATCH it, was the Aldeth's bastard sword.)

The first screen shot here was taken after I got surprised by the presence of a greater wolfwere outside the main ship. The second screenshot was taken dozens of rounds later, after expending dozens of Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb spells, and dozens of charges off our wands of Magic Missile, Lightning, Cold, and Flame Strikes.

It was the same every round. Our spells, wands, and maybe one hit from the bastard sword would get him down to half his hit points. Next round, he was back at full hit points.

Now I see that there is clearly a bug here. At least I know to never, ever go to Werewolf Island again in the EE's.

What a shame. I was really enjoying this. Even though the EE is causing this, it also gave me a quicksave (The fourth and last slot, glad it happened now!) to revert back to before going to Werewolf Island, so I guess it's a wash.

I have a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth, but I'll probably continue my run in the minimal reload thread, since I was having some fun with my skald before this.

• lurithlurith Member Posts: 55
    Condolences, @BelgarathMTH. How frustrating to get beaten by a bug. I was considering skipping the werewolf island and I think now I am convinced (if I make it that far).

Keep having fun with Nicholas Todd.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Dear forum friends, how are Nightmare mode's extra XP gains supposed to make this game easier? I really haven't cracked the code yet lol.

They don't. Not even remotely close.

People often say that the extra XP is worth the cost, but LoB's disadvantages are (1) double damage from enemies with (2) an extra 1 APR, (3) about four times the staying power, and (4) an extra 12 levels. That's making the game more than ten times as difficult, and tripling your XP doesn't make you ten times as strong... or even twice as strong. I'd cut my party's XP down to a quarter if it gave me the bonuses that LoB enemies get, even if it meant I never got any HLAs, ever.

Also, you don't really get triple XP (double base XP +1000) in LoB mode, because half of your party's XP in a normal game comes from quest rewards, not enemies.

And LoB's XP bonuses will completely vanish once you hit the XP cap, in the middle of SoA. Then the enemies just get stronger and stronger while you remain stagnant. You probably start LoB mode thinking about how quickly you'll get HLAs... but not so much about the very agonizing period before then, or the time when your enemies start using HLAs as well, and LoB enemies once again reassert their total superiority.

Also, @Blackraven, bear in mind that Called Shot won't lower enemy saves until level 8. The first casting you get at level 4 should only penalize enemy THAC0.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Blackraven You write so well and have so many good ideas that it's hard to choose. I think the main factor is your own feelings.

Currently, I'm very interested in everything related to the LoB mode, and you combine it with the SCS (which I'm only thinking about for the future), so the story of Shade, CG Human Archer and her custom party, gets my vote.

@BelgarathMTH I haven't read about that bug before. I dare summon here @Gate70 (a dedicated bug fixer and a no-reload fan by the way) to have a look at this bug (as BelgarathMTH previously mentioned he didn't intend to create bug reports on the redmine):

The first screen shot here was taken after I got surprised by the presence of a greater wolfwere outside the main ship. The second screenshot was taken dozens of rounds later, after expending dozens of Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb spells, and dozens of charges off our wands of Magic Missile, Lightning, Cold, and Flame Strikes.

It was the same every round. Our spells, wands, and maybe one hit from the bastard sword would get him down to half his hit points. Next round, he was back at full hit points.

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @BelgarathMTH do you have a save to hand, I'd like to check what greater wolfwere this is - been a while since I've gone through the Island and can't remember any Greater ones outside the ship so wondering if it was a rest ambush or something else.
    Thanks
    (& could you namedrop me as I'll forget to check back otherwise...)
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @Blackraven My mistake, I wrote something wrong. They indeed don't all see through invisibility.

As far as my memory goes, at least 3 of them saw through invisibility and with the Nightmare mode HP, it was enough to prevent me to quickly dispatch them before I was overwhelmed by level drain.

It took place shortly after escaping Irenicus's dungeon, so I had very few items.

Maybe it could have been better if my simulacrums didn't fade after suffering a single point of damage (v1.3 bug).

Anyway I have started a Kensai, an Assassin and a Priest of Talos. Maybe I will report their progress soon but I won't be able to post any screenshots.
    edited April 2016
    @Gate70 , I've never uploaded a file before, so I hope that worked. The file is showing at the bottom of my post on my screen, so I hope it's available for download to others.

This save file is for BG:EE 2.1 with SoD

I've saved it just before the greater wolfwere, who is named Palin. After loading the save game, move the party due north, and you should run straight into Palin, who will force conversation and ask you to follow him a bit to the east. As soon as you get there, he will spawn four regular werewolves, and equip a bow. On the next round, he will morph into his greater wolfwere form.

The "bug" isn't the presence of a second greater wolfwere on the island per se (although I don't consider that good design, since you haven't gotten to the ship yet to get the two Baldur's weapons), but rather the extreme regeneration rate - he regenerates about half his hit points every round.

There is some mention of a "stacking bug" with Karoug's regeneration in old threads, and some mention of there being a BG2 version of the greater wolfwere that has way more hit points and regeneration than the original BG1 version from TotSC. But, nobody seems to know for sure what is going on. When newer players of the EE's complain about the regeneration, all the veterans just assume that the player doesn't know how to fight him.

So, it might not be a bug, but rather some kind of design mistake, intentional or not.

If it is intentional, my problem with Palin being a second greater wolfwere is that this encounter is outside, where you can't use tricks like lighting ricochet, and, as I said, you do not have the two weapons of Baldur. What I do know is that I have never had any trouble at all beating Werewolf Island in 18 years of playing, before now.

I'd like to challenge anyone in the thread to see if they can beat Palin. My skald has a Slow spell that might help if it sticks, Dynaheir has two Haste ready, and we have an inventory full of wands that both my skald and Dynaheir can use. Imoen can chip away at him with a Wand of Missiles. We have some Arrows of Piercing. Would those work? Branwen has some Hold Person. No Dooms, but she could get some.

Also, can you beat him without expending so many resources that there is nothing left for the fight with Karoug? And also, if there's one extra greater wolfwere, there could be others.

My solution is that I'm just not going here in the EE's again, but I would enjoy hearing about somebody else being able to beat it from where this save is made.

EDIT: Just took a quick shot at it. I tried double Fireballs (Dynaheir's and my wands), and hit him with the +3 bastard sword. Also lots of disablers (none of which stuck - he made one save on a roll of 6, resisted the others). He has high magic resistance, *and* magic damage resistance. After being hit with two fireballs, and another two the next round, plus some hits with the sword, he was still at full hit points, while his four werewolf friends were smoking piles of ashes on the ground.

EDIT 2: Oh yes, my difficulty is on Core Rules. It's important that you have your game set on the same if you try the save file.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    @BelgarathMTH: Did you try Wand of Paralyzation on Greater Wolfwere? I don't have an experience with EE edition but in EasyTuTu it works perfectly vs them and Wand of Heavens blast them quite reliably.
    edited April 2016
    @Serg_BlackStrider , This is only a problem in the EE's. I never had the problem in EasyTuTu. The Wand of the Heavens does a small amount of damage, which he regenerates on the next round. Two Wands of Fireballs and The Wand of the Heavens together barely hurt him, because he resists most of the damage and then regenerates what damage does get through. Also, this is not Karoug, inside the ship. It's Palin, in the outdoors, who didn't used to be a greater wolfwere.

EDIT: Tried it, Wand of Paralyzation doesn't work. It says "Wand not effective" or something.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I can only say that during our MP run in the 1.3 version with the SCS installed we didn't encounter this problem with Palin, or any other werewolf on the Island.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @BelgarathMTH is your game modded at all - screen capture attached, I didn't see him transform and I'm not sure I can remember that happening in vanilla. I tried it several times with the same result.
    Thanks
    edited April 2016
    It's an amazing feeling watching Gate70 plays BG with the BelgarathMTH's party!
    edited April 2016
    @Gate70, it looks like you do not have SoD installed (Blue interface instead of black.)

I have no mods.

What your video tells us is that this is an SoD thing specifically.