Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Pokota said:

I think I'm going to give up on using an EET instance for my next No Reload run - as it turns out, EET is what's breaking low-level kits, not BWS. Wasn't there an EET component at some point that fixed that issue?

Could you describe what exactly gets broken?
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2017
    So far I've tested thieves and found that traps set by level 1 thieves and level 1 bounty hunters don't exist - the game doesn't actually set a trap when I try to set the trap (though the game is detecting that a spell was cast).

Top picture is a level 1, bottom picture is the SoA pregen thief. Same EET instance for both images.

CrevsDaakBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Also I have no idea how to do screen shots so script only I'm afraid.

@UnderstandMouseMagic what setup are you playing on?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    CrevsDaak said:

I know people usually put the Brawling Hands on the fighters but Edwin's dex is so bad, Also need Branwyn (16dex) to wear the LotM as she and Viconia are my front line.

(BTW would love some feedback if anyone could)

I'd put the 18 DEX gauntlets on someone who's purposely going to draw enemy fire. Leave Edwin behind, micromanage his position so that he doesn't get targeted by ranged enemies. Also, add a couple of Mirror Images to your buffing routine and you shouldn't have any problems. If an enemy tries to chase him, send a good melee attacker to rescue him.

Also, give the Legacy of the Masters to Kivan or someone who isn't capped at one ApR like Viconia. Same for Branwen if there's anyone who can use them better. Edit: I'm saying this because the biggest advantage these gauntlets give you is the +2 damage. THAC0 bonuses are subject to what you end up rolling, while a damage bonus is always applied (if you hit...). And given Kivan has a higher ApR and isn't a spellcaster, he can make better use of them, since he'll deal far more damage with them than what Branwen or Viconia are capable of.
    Thanks.

Playing this party, I find Kivan deals so much damage with the bow I don't use him in melee much at all. And because doing the whole no reload thing, keeping my charname very much at the back as well. So the pressure is all on Vic and Bran.

I tend to send Edwin all over the place throwing out AOE spells, so he does get targeted. I think my tactics are usually stop the enemy in it's tracks, use missliles until the last minute and only then melee. And in BG you can do that a lot because it's so open.
    I really ought to stop the AOE spells because it is cheesy but it's too tempting.
    CrevsDaak
    Quick question for anybody who can answer.

Keep reading about "aura being cleansed" or even just mentions of "aura".

What's that all about?

lroumen
    edited May 2017

Quick question for anybody who can answer.
    Keep reading about "aura being cleansed" or even just mentions of "aura".
    What's that all about?

Under normal circumstances, you can only cast one spell (or use one innate, or drink one potion) per round except if you cast Improved Alacrity beforehand. What Improved Alacrity does is give you the status effect of "Aura Cleansing" which basically means "you aren't limited in how many spells you can cast or potions/innates you can use" - instead of five uses of Magic Missile across five rounds, you can dump them all out in one round. Nahal's Reckless Dweomer is not at present constrained by your Aura status, but always invokes a Wild Surge.

I once made a ridiculously overpowered item that gave you permanent Aura Cleansing. That was literally all it did. Kinda broke everything. I might remake it as Plate Mail armor to keep it incompatible with arcane casting (cleric casting isn't as easily exploited under IA, and pure druids can't wear plate anyway)
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    @Pokota

So it's just a way of saying "have to wait for the next round" or "the next round has started" or am I missing something?
    It's not mentioned in game at all is it?
    edited May 2017
    It's mentioned in passing in the Rules section of the manuals in the form of "you can only cast one spell per round" and doesn't cover potions or innates at all - the Aura term we use is just because of how Improved Alacrity's effect is named internally and in the combat log. I'm sure there's an official reason for calling it Aura but I never had 2E sourcebooks.

In short, for me it's a fancy way of saying "you can cast/drink/innate again"
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited May 2017
    @Aasim: Condolences... Tolgerias is a nightmare in SCS.

As for disrupting Thaxll'ssillyia: SCS gives dragons immunity to the casting failure opcode and +10 to casting time, making all spells instant. But even a casting time of 0 isn't actually instantaneous. There is a single frame during which you can still get disrupted.

Those of you who play with auto-pause enabled might have noticed one of your characters failing a Stoneskin or PFMW with a casting time of 0 when you tried to cast the spell right after your spellcaster got down to Badly Injured. That's because your spellcaster began casting at the same frame he or she got hit.

BG runs at 30 frames per second, so it's very rare to land a hit on that frame. But it's possible.
    Grond0lolienCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Run a diviner?