Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited May 2017
    @semiticgod Well, concerning solo LoB, there's a whole thread about it in the Challenge and Playthrough section that I'm pretty sure you know about. I could see you running a mage/thief quite efficiently there. Even without xp bonus, leveling up is not hard because you're soloing, so, going through the game still doesn't take too long (3 or 4 sessions top if you're not doing every quest). You also would break new ground here, because not a single solo no reload run was successul yet, not even close to be honest. That is a ROUGH challenge.

Also, a long time ago, I remember that you were trying to run a 12 characters run (via permanent simulacrum and xp penalty, if I remember correctly). I think you ran into some technical troubles, but maybe the newest version of the games could make that possible. That would be the type of run I would see you do !! :p

Other than that, maybe you just need a little break from the game, to come back with fresh ideas and renewed motivation.
    Post edited by Arctodus on
    semiticgoddesslolienCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @semiticgod how about experimenting with different restrictions to see if anything takes your fancy, e.g. melee only, no potions, restricted rests, no pausing, no magic items etc.
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arctodus: To my knowledge, the 12 character run isn't really feasible. A while back, I figured out how to create a full-level duplicate of a party member using the simulacrum opcode with no side effects, but I still have one basic problem: the clones need to be summoned before every battle, which can make pre-buffing and area transitions rather clunky.

Plus, I wouldn't be able to customize them. Having 6 pairs of twins isn't that much more interesting than 6 individuals. And there are balance issues associated with having two characters wearing their own copy of the Robe of Vecna.

@Grond0: I don't generally go with restrictions much. I prefer to plan my runs based on new tactics and tricks--I figure out how to do something weird, then design a strategy around it and see how far I can push it.

I've toyed with the idea of restrictions before, but restrictions haven't actually changed gameplay much for me. Rather than developing new strategies, all I did was lean more heavily on some backup strategies I was already familiar with.

It felt like playing tennis without a racquet, and choosing a baseball bat instead. Sure, it's more challenging, but it doesn't change the mechanics of the game.

I've already tried a restless run, but I really like running caster-heavy parties, which isn't feasible in restless runs. And for a fighter-heavy party, being unable to rest isn't actually a major restriction, considering you can heal yourself using regeneration... and also remove fatigue from everyone in the party except for Charname simply by kicking out party members and bringing them back in (fatigue gets set to 0 when characters leave the party, even if it's just for a moment).

I've started a new solo LoB run with a gnomish Glyphscribe of Deneir/Mage (which is supposed to be possible, but a bug required EEKeeper to implement it). Clerics of Deneir get SR's animal summoning spells, so basically my gnome just sends out a huge pack of dogs and wolves to murdalize gibberlings and kobolds. She's at 180,000 XP and her summons have 98% of all the kills. I spent half the Nashkel mines eating chips.

It's a good strategy, but it doesn't feel very interesting.

I've considered running a solo Seducer (I have some revisions to the kit to make it more interesting), but it's really, really not suited to solo no-reload play, especially in LoB mode. All of its power comes from the enemy's failed saving throws, which are never guaranteed.
    lolienCrevsDaakArctodusJuliusBorisov
    @semiticgod it seems odd that you have bonus XP activated for LoB given that you're seeking fresh challenges. How about just playing that on standard settings?

If you're bored with standard summons you could have a go with a shaman. Running that solo in LoB isn't easy, but there are some ways of manipulating the use of their summons that you might find interesting to experiment with.

What about trying a no-kill run - that gives scope for using spells somewhat differently?
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: I enable the bonus XP because it helps speed things up. Without the extra levels, LoB mode is just too slow.
    @semiticgod how long LoB takes depends how you play it. For most character classes a solo LoB run can be far faster than the sort of comprehensive party run you last documented, while still comfortably exceeding the XP level cap without bonus XP enabled. A caster-heavy party could also make quick progress if that's what you want, although if you want them to hit the XP cap the extra encounters required to do that would clearly take longer in LoB.

Anyway, I hope you find something to your taste :).
    StummvonBordwehrCrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    @semiticgod i had an idea that i never have the time to fully implement in game. According to my idea charname would get a similar teleporting curse like Viekang. In my playthrough my character teleported when he losed consciousness (so mainly by deaths, and on every rest). It was not perfect, i chose randomly an area on every rest, and used console to go there. On character death i had to reload a pre-death save. The method needs some more tinkering, but it was a fun and new experience. Maybe teleporting on kill, or a % chance to teleport on every attack?
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    edited May 2017
    You will probably have forgotten all about my Terror of Tempus run as I have been out of touch with the web. Suffice to say that she beat the ToSc including Durlag's Tower, The Werewolf Island and the Ice Island. She then joined up with Drizzt et al for the Drizzt Saga. Marilith brought the run to a sudden end. I should have gone shopping first and actually used potions etc.
    Still an enjoyable run.

I then tried a thief run and discovered that I the mod that I made to Mendas in Candlekeep actually made beating him impossible for a thief. I will have to nerf my mod somewhat as I tried beating him 5 times without success. Perhaps I could give Shank better weapons/armour. Of course he could then become too powerful. Trial and error needed.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    ArctodusCrevsDaakussnorwayJuliusBorisov
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    @Wise_Grimwald Your thief could, you know, just ignore Mendas (e.g., not engage him)- it's not like you need to beat Mendas to beat the game. Run away to fight another day and all that.
    Wise_GrimwaldsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov

@Wise_Grimwald Your thief could, you know, just ignore Mendas (e.g., not engage him)- it's not like you need to beat Mendas to beat the game. Run away to fight another day and all that.

I was aware of that, but I am wanting it to be possible to beat them with any character. If I get beaten three times out of four that's fine with me, but I wasn't getting anywhere near beating him. All I had done was give him assassins armour plus a short sword +1 and I attacked him with haste active. Despite having a dex of 19, ranged weapons weren't working. Perhaps leading him outside is the answer.
    CrevsDaak
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    edited May 2017

I was aware of that, but I am wanting it to be possible to beat them with any character. If I get beaten three times out of four that's fine with me, but I wasn't getting anywhere near beating him. All I had done was give him assassins armour plus a short sword +1 and I attacked him with haste active. Despite having a dex of 19, ranged weapons weren't working. Perhaps leading him outside is the answer.
    @Wise_Grimwald - At level 1, your biggest problem is Thac0. I think your best bet is to hide in the shadows in the shade outside, even if your hiding is terrible. Just keep trying, and when you finally succeed, go in and backstab the assassin dead. If I remember right, attacking from the shadows grants +4 Thac0 which might make all the difference. I know the game says "leaving shadows" when going through doorways, but if you attack within a round (6 seconds) you can still get the backstab off. I've done this many times actually with my thieves.
    Post edited by Corey_Russell on
    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddessArctodus
    edited May 2017
    ussnorway said:
    My portrait doesn't have the same name in bg2ee and I was tempted to fix it but my stated rules say no mods are acceptable so I've had to pick another.

I wouldn't have called changing a portrait name a mod.
    Corey_RussellCrevsDaakPokotaJuliusBorisov