Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    edited September 2017
    @semiticgod You can always put a series of images within one spoiler tag. I do that for a single battle. It avoids having to do too much clicking on the tags.

On a completely different topic,

I am currently doing the Grey Clan Episode.

This is what the walkthrough says should happen, and that is how I remember it.

• Go near the Tower of Ramazith and find General Jedyan (map1).
    • Talk to General Jedyan. Then he leaves.
    • Find Jusam near the Hall of Wonders (map2). Talk to him.
    • Accept his offer and join Jedyan's organization. A group of bandits appears and attacks you.
    • Kill all of the six bandits, and cause enough damage to the Tattooed Man to make him cast his Dimension Door. Talk to Jusam. A Flaming Fist spy appears and brings news about their captured soldier.

However, the spy hasn't turned up.
    Does anyone know what his code is so that I can force the situation? Otherwise I won't be able to proceed with the quest.

I have looked in shadowkeeper creature browser and Flaming Fist spy isn't mentioned. :( However there are 5 Flaming Fist scouts and 2 watchers.
    ussnorwayJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: My memory of that mod is hazy. I'm pretty sure the spy tells you to go to a house and rescue somebody, but looking at the files in Near Infinity, I cannot see anyone with "Spy" in their name aside from some critters from SoD.

But I think the "captured soldier" you have to rescue is "Injured Woman." Her .cre file is "BW05FFAP." If you summon her and talk to her, conceivably you could progress the storyline further, even if you're not in the right area (which may be necessary for the right script to figure).

Based on a couple of scripts, "BW05MONI" and "BW05TERG" might also help you move forward.

If none of that works, I'm not sure what to do without more information, since I don't know the spy's name.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited September 2017

• Kill all of the six bandits

@Wise_Grimwald I don't know how you did this battle, but I find a common way to fail this type of quest is for one of the target enemies to be killed while on your side (due to charm/domination effects). In that case the game won't count it towards the total - making the quest impossible to complete without using console etc.
    edited September 2017
    @Grond0 No, I didn't do any charming, and all six of them died. I have their armour to prove it!

@semiticgod Creating the injured woman won't work.
    To speak to her, first you have to talk to one of the Flaming Fist in the same room, and he won't talk until all the grey clan in the room are killed.

I also know that the FAI doesn't change until you speak to the woman.

I'll try "BW05MONI" and "BW05TERG" and see if they might help.

The Tattooed Man did teleport away, which causes me to think that everything up until that point was OK.

Neither Tergius nor Monica would speak. :(

I'll see if I can post on Black Wyrm Lair. They might be able to help since they host the mod.
    Grond0
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2017
    It's got nothing to do with charm (which shouldn't cause any issues anyway). It simply bugs out occasionally. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I'm guessing sometimes the bandits don't increase the global that counts their deaths when they die. I've done the fight, had the bug happen, reloaded and tried again and it worked.

The global variable is Global("BW05_TGC1","GLOBAL",2).
    lolien
    edited September 2017

It's got nothing to do with charm (which shouldn't cause any issues anyway). It simply bugs out occasionally. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I'm guessing sometimes the bandits don't increase the global that counts their deaths when they die. I've done the fight, had the bug happen, reloaded and tried again and it worked.

The global variable is Global("BW05_TGC1","GLOBAL",2).

You are 100% correct.

It worked. :) Thanks.
    semiticgoddesslolien
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Condolence, Wise :'(
    Wise_Grimwald
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Alesia_BH said:

Oooh, fascinating backstory about an ethically ambiguous paladin. Thanks for sharing!

Also interesting bit about deciding to give one item at start. How do you decide on what is not overpowered?

(I once gave a starting character a free action ring for flavor. Half way through I deleted her due to cumulative guilt!)

BTW, re: Ascension.
    I never used it before. I feel like I should succeed on a vanilla+SCS run of the trilogy before that. Loooong way that one...

P.S. Too bad that your old images and videos seem to be lost in translation from the Bioware forums. I always liked reading your posts back there and the upbeat attention to detail in them. Looking forward to seeing more of that here as well.
    Wise_GrimwaldArctodusCrevsDaak
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    @Ygramul you can always ask... if an item looks OP to other forum users then it prob is
    YgramulAlesia_BHWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
    edited September 2017
    Ygramul said:

Oooh, fascinating backstory about an ethically ambiguous paladin. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Alessandra was fun.
    Ygramul said:

Also interesting bit about deciding to give one item at start. How do you decide on what is not overpowered?

My characters occasionally received customized personal items, much like the Bioware NPCs. The purpose was to enhance the role playing experience and give each character a unique feel. I also found that I played better when I forged a connection with my character, and that the items helped in establishing a connection.

As for power, the items were always designed to be on the low end of the distribution of the NPC personal item range. So, I'd never consider making an item as powerful as, say, Edwin's Amulet, Nalia's Signet Ring, Alora's Rabbit's Foot, HaerDaelis's Chaos Blade or Mazzy's Sword of Arvoreen. I'd aim for something powered more like Cernd's cloak or Mazzy's bow. I'd also frequently delay conferral in the interest of balance.

The items would rarely confer immunities (exceptions: My bounty hunter, Alesia's thieve's hood, Quick and the Dead, which conferred blindness immunity, like Jan's Spectroscopes; My beast master, Ashanti's helm, Call of the Wild, which conferred immunity to fear, like Kiel's Helmet), and never critical immunities that are unavailable in undispelable form (ex- Sleep). Bonuses of any type were limited to 1 (ex- AC -1, Saves -1, ETC). Typically, the idea was for the item to be relevant in BG1 while still being useable in BG2. Most became obsolete by the end of SoA. Alessandra wore her bracers, Fast and Frightening (Chant while equipped, -1 weapon speed factor), until late in the adventure, but, there were more powerful items available by then, such as the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization.
    Ygramul said:

(I once gave a starting character a free action ring for flavor. Half way through I deleted her due to cumulative guilt!)

Yeah. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that either.

Designing low powered unique items for you character can be cool though. You mat want to try it.

BTW, re: Ascension.
    I never used it before. I feel like I should succeed on a vanilla+SCS run of the trilogy before that. Loooong way that one...
    Ygramul said:

P.S. Too bad that your old images and videos seem to be lost in translation from the Bioware forums.

Yeah. Photobucket is willing to fix that for me for a mere 399 USD/year...

I'm considering reposting and annotating my more interesting runs (Alesia, Alastria, Ashanti, Alessandra, Alicia, Alisa, Alyssa, Arcadia, Aphril, Arkona) with images on a Blog. That would be a big project though. We'll see
    Ygramul said:

I always liked reading your posts back there and the upbeat attention to detail in them. Looking forward to seeing more of that here as well.

Thanks! I'm glad to be here! I was saddened when the Bioware forums closed, but, in then, I suppose it's just help grow the family. It's good to be together.

Best,

A.
    Post edited by Alesia_BH on
    Serg_BlackStriderArctodusYgramul
    ussnorway said:

@Ygramul you can always ask... if an item looks OP to other forum users then it prob is

Yuppers. If I was ever unsure about an item, I'd ask.

Best,

A.

Wise_Grimwald
    edited September 2017
    (A few NR paladin thoughts since no one else has offered anything yet.)
    Ygramul said:

- Can I hope to have enough item based defenses eventually.

The game definitely provides the resources paladins need to keep themselves safe. Your worn/wielded items will cover most threats, eventually. Use potions to fill in the gaps. Read and understand this chart. I study it before every run, and re-memorize the essentials as they pertain to my current kit/class

https://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Immunities.htm
    Ygramul said:

MR seems to never hit reliable sure-fire levels of security for noreload, since I cannot hit 100MR. But how about saves?

Despite being tall-folk, Paladin's can keep their saves out of the danger zone. I prefer the Claw. Claw + Gaxx + Improved CoP+ Lavender Ion Stone is a solid endgame combo.

Keep a supply of Potions of Magic Shielding, Potions of Invulnerability and Potions of Stone Form on hand to counter Malison and Doom, and or to make tough saves
    Ygramul said:

- Is the following weapon loadout order sensible:
    ths ++ thw + flail + // -> flail + tws ++ bast sword ++ tws +

It's not unreasonable. You'll want ths, thw, flail, and bastard swords by the BG2 end game.

BG1 offers a lot of flexibility with regards to proficiencies. I'm sure there's away to make your order work, although I've never executed anything like that personally. I like ranged weapons and low-speed factor melee.
    Ygramul said:

Should I Axe?

Yes. You should have a ranged weapon, and axes are an excellent choice for cavaliers. Further, if you're playing with SCS, you'll still want to keep your distance from vamps, irrespective of your NPP status.
    Ygramul said:

- Should I count on a companion mage always to defensively buff the Cavalier or can the Cavalier hope to stand resolute & safe by himself.

Mage buffs are a lot less formidable when they aren't locked in with SI:A + SI:D + Spell Shield + Spell Protection and a companion mage won't be able to cast those spells on you.

Could a mage be good to have around? Sure! But the buffs in particular might be less helpful than you'd imagine.

Good hunting!

Best,

A.

Post edited by Alesia_BH on
    AerakarSerg_BlackStriderWise_GrimwaldArctodus
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    @Ygramul a pally no reload tends to be a solo run or a stand at the back fighter... I assume both these options are out unless you are ok with throwing daggers | axes?
    Wise_Grimwald