Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    I am just speechless at the awesome progress going on about here.

Wow! It's as if so many different runs are somehow teaming up across parallel universe versions of Sword Coast.

(Meanwhile, Selyna the Dragon Disciple is making modest progress... will post when able.)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Aidahn Sparkyfibber, 9th BG1 update

After arriving to the Mines location, the group first explored surroundings. Dealing with a 3 ghouls brought new levels for both arcane lovers in the party. Both Aidahn and Dynaheir got 3 HPs. Maybe it just confirmed they were meant to be together?

A little later, Minsc found a local sculptor, of whom they heard from people in Nashkel and Nashkel Carnival. Prism, that was his name, asked whether the adventurers were sent by Greywolf. It's the second time someone nearly took them for Greywolf or his men, after Oublek in Nashkel.

Imoen tried to ask Prism about this Greywolf but the man appeared himself. He turned to be a bounty hunter, and Aidahn just couldn't let him kill the sculptor. The fight was inevitable.

First, Greywolf panicked as a result of the Spook spell, and then he was Held. After dealing with the bounty hunter the group returned to Prism but the latter, after thanking them for a good deed, unexpectedly died. An exhaustion was a probable reason. Prism told them that as soon as he saw Ellesime, an elven queen, he couldn't live as he had done in the past.

Greywolf carried a wonderful longsword, Varskona, that Khalid immediately took to his arsenal. While scouting, Minsc found a wand that turned out to be a wand of frost. Boo wanted to play with this stick but Dynaheir strictly explained that wands are not sticks for hamsters.

A local officer, Emerson, informed the party about the recent troubles in the Mines. All the miners were scared, one of them even suggested it was a dragon down there. Jaheira asked him to stop being rediculous.

A dragon's presence is easy to notice and, from the looks of the Mines, there were no dragons hiding in the bowels.

There could be a lot of hidden traps down there, so it was decided that she would be a party's scout here, being invisible thanks to the spell from Aidahn.

As the group advanced to lower levels, they started to meet packs of kobolds, more and more of them. This is where the necklace of fireballs proved to be useful. Every time Imoen found a new group of enemies, a fireball sent from the dark was enough.

After a long route through the tunnels, the group finally came to a hidden cave, in which only two men stood in different chambers. The group returned to the guarded parts of the Mines and rested there preparing their spells.

Imoen spoke with the first man, Mulahey, and pretended to be a Tazok's agent. She didn't knew who or what this Tazok was but it was enough to open a chest nearby... Mulahey screamed something about minions and attacked.

It turned out that the adjacent room was full of kobolds and skeletons in a second. And treacherous half-orc started casting an evil spell. The necklace of fireballs took all of them down while the party concentrated on Mulahey.

Before it was too late, Mulahey surrendered and the party finished all the remaining kobolds. Yet when Aidahn attemted to actually look what was in the chest, the half-orc attacked again. This time, he didn't save against the Command spell which was enough to kill him.

Jaheira got a new druid level (+5 HPs) and everyone was cherishing new items and scrolls found in the chamber. The second man from another room, Xan, turned out to be a prisoner. Now he was free but there was a sorrow, not happiness in his eyes.

Without any problems the adventurers returned to Nashkel and reported to the mayor. After hearing the news Berrun announced that Sparkyfibber was a hero of Nashkel. Dynaheir commented that 'tis not the last good deed of his.

Imagine everyone's surprise when the tired adventurers met another assassin right in front of the tavern they wanted to rest calmly.

All the local garnison couldn't hit this assassin. With one spell Nimbul, as he was called, killed Imoen. After a series of rounds, Nimbul, nearly dead, managed to cast the Sleep spell. The fate of everyone was in local soldiers' arms, i.e. their swords.

Nimbul needed only one hit and he got it.

When everyone was back on their feet and resurrected, the group finally managed to rest in the inn. Just before saying goodnight, Dynaheir told a creeping story about how she felt back in the Gnolls' pit.

Aidahn Sparkyfibber - Cleric/Illusionist, 4/3 lvl, 27 HP (10 from FF), 0 deaths
    Imoen - Thief, 5 lvl, 29 HP, 1 death
    Khalid - Fighter, 4 lvl, 38 HP, 1 death
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid, 3/3 lvl, 28 HP, 4 deaths
    Minsc - Ranger, 4 lvl, 31 HP, 1 death
    Dynaheir - Invoker, 4 lvl, 17 HP, 2 deaths

The overall price of resurrecting - 3100 gp
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2015

@Mirage, can we expect any action from your Druid?

Thanks a lot for the interest Blackraven! I have some bad news...I am without computer for the last 3 days. Hard disc failure...I hope it's just this. I am currently posting from a friends laptop that I use. I am waiting for a new one and then I want to check the old one to see if I can still save any data.

You know, it never crossed my mind to backup my saves, just some memorable ones and I did it when I completed the game. I got really disappointed, I was thinking about making a post about it.
    But in the end I was lucky since Daeryn was really early in the game, I have just reached level 5 IIRC.
    The worst thing was that I lost a bg2 save, the party was made from the start of BG1, completed the whole game in full SCS difficulty and reached spellhold in BG2. It was a minimal reload run but still it was an amazing quest that ended the worst way possible.
    I still may be able to get the files back...with a lot of luck though..

ps. Back up your current playthroughs fellas, at least the ones you really like...just in case
  • HenkeBHenkeB Member Posts: 97
    BG2

Managed to make this evil city a little more civil today, first tracked down kidnappers and then a murderer of the most evil kind.
    Jaheira fell in the battle against his henchmen though, was able to resurect her at the nearby temple of helm. Still left both of us a little unhinged.
    Decided to leave the city awhile after that, J needs to get away and I owe it to her.
    To the wilds and the Umar hills it is.
    Leaving Yoshimo in the city to keep an eye on it for us, bringing this nice gnome Jan with us instead.

So
    Accepted to find Valgyar Corthala, found him and had him join the group.
    Delivered mimic blood to cowled wizard and got the Ilbratha shortsword in return.
    Brokered a deal with madulf the ogre and the village.

trying to decide if I should go planar sphere or umar hills.
    both feels overwhelming.
    I do want Mazzy in the group so i guess its umar first.
    Will leave the dragon for now though, if I can resist the temptation.... choose dragon as favoured enemy.
  • bengoshi said:

After Yahiko, my solo druid, met his end in the final battle of ToB, I decide to start a group run, which @Blackraven and @CharlestonianTemplar would call 'Completionist No Reload', with a new character.

I want to try and make a full run, as close to being non-metagaming as possible. I will try to RP the decisions during this run, including answers on "where to go now" questions.

Also I plan that this party will continue into SoD as soon as it's released (the pace of the playthrough won't be fast because of the RP elements and the desire to 'complete everything' everywhere).

[/spoiler]

Bengoshi, you mention SoD. What's that? CKT
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited September 2015
    @CharlestonianTemplar: Well met! I haven't seen you here before, only on the Bioware forums.

SoD would be Siege of Dragonspear. I understand it's an interquel for the BG saga.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    arglllll 177 unread messages in this thread.
    Glad to see it is a very active thread !!
    So many screenshots... it took two hours to post on all of them... I've really got to start cutting down somehow.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It seems, somebody has broken this page (probably, due to an additional /spoiler command)

Aidahn Sparkyfibber, 10th BG1 update

During their rest, the party re-read all the letters they found in the Nashkel Mines. It was clear that in order to find answers on their questions they have to talk to a man called Tranzig in one of Beregost's inns.

While in Beregost, the group bought the Protector +1 amulet - because with the Ring of Holiness Aidahn had to wear an item +1 other than a ring for keeping his saving throws.

When approached, Tranzig declined to talk and warned that he was a dangerous wizard. Well, he had to answer for his words.

Outside, Imoen met Elminster. While everyone was glad to see a famous mage, the meeting was not only pleasant but also useful: Elminster informed the party that the roots of the Iron Crisis should be searched for in the Bandit Camp, that was located on the North, behind Peldvale and Larswood.

Sparkyfibber thanked Elminster and proposed to explore the Sword Coast a bit more. Everybody fealt their progress after the Mulahey battle but the encounter with Nimbul that ended rather OK clearly showed the need for further development before dealing with the camp full of bandits.

Dynaheir gulped 2 potions of genious and learned several additional useful spells, Web and Glitterdust among them.

As for the destination, the party decided to start with Coastway. Upon arriving to the Area, Jaheira warned about local inhabitants (OOC: I've liked this element of the BG1 NPC mod, that someone in your party who is more or less familiar with the area can give some advice about monsters).

The first of sirines, of whome Jaheira had warned, was found nearby. Instead of attacking, she insisted on kissing Imoen. When everyone was ready to avenge their fallen comrade, this nereid explained that she acted not by her own will but instead by the will of an ogre-mage who had captured her. Aidahn demanded to resurrect Imoen and only after that promised to free the nereid from her captor.

And not before the last line of their dialogue ended, this ogre-mage appeared himself. Unlike their first meeting with this kind of an opponent, the group attacked and although Dynaheir still fell asleep, both poison from Minsc's arrows and Aidahn's Hold spell worked.

Jaheira reached a new level, getting 7 HPs.

There were other sirens on the same area, "with no malice in their intent", by Jaheira's words. Still, they were enemies and the Sword Coast needed to get free from these dangerous creatures. The first two sirens fell due to a new combination of spells that Dynaheir offered: 2 Web spells combined with 1 Grease spell. This way, the party could safely kill the sirens with their bows and slings. But one siren managed to stay away from the effect of Dynaheir's spells.

Looking through their arsenal, Aidahn asked Minsc to use his Berserk ability. It was the first time after meeting Minsc when such a need came, and althouth the ranger hesitated a bit, everyone assured him that they'll stay away from him if something went wrong.

It worked.

When the group moved to another Coastway location, Dynaheir asked Aidahn about his recent dream.

OOC: Another element I've liked about the BG1 NPC mod is that Dynaheir commented on the charname's dream. To me, it is something that could be very much in the un-modded game because I always had a problem with undestanding the dream. Now, thanks to Dynaheir, I've got it :)

With berserkering Minsc and using the Web+Grease combination the group didn't have troubles while dealing with local sirens as well. Khalid had a lucky level up, granting him 11 HPs.

Now Khalid had 49 hit points - at least this amount could keep him from being one-shotted by the majority of BG1 enemies.

Aidahn Sparkyfibber - Cleric/Illusionist, 4/3 lvl, 27 HP (10 from FF), 0 deaths
    Imoen - Thief, 5 lvl, 29 HP, 1 death
    Khalid - Fighter, 5 lvl, 49 HP, 1 death
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid, 4/4 lvl, 35 HP, 4 deaths
    Minsc - Ranger, 4 lvl, 31 HP, 1 death
    Dynaheir - Invoker, 4 lvl, 17 HP, 2 deaths

The overall price of resurrecting - 3100 gp
    First off, you know that hooded figure on the floor with five stars around it?

Am I the only one who thought that looked an awful lot like a phallus?

Second, Sil died.

Turns out there was a fear effect, and Sil failed her save. And since she was using stealth to stay invisible, she appeared after a couple of rounds.

Number of reloads so far: 1
    Aerie finds a safe spot and summons a Skeleton Warrior. We try to lure Vaxall away from the staircase, but even when the Skeleton Warrior moves out of his line of sight, he won't pursue. Beholders in SCS, I've noticed, tend to wait rather than follow.

Vaxall isn't going anywhere. We need to continue without Edwin, Cernd, or Viconia. And Shyressa is making too many saves--there might be something wrong. I decide to leave Shyressa alone. We'll have to kill Layenne for the Staff of the Magi, and Vaxall for his eye, without which we can't leave the place, but we may have to let Revanek and Shyressa live.

I try to stun Layenne with Celestial Fury, but her save vs. spell is stellar, and all the attacks do is get Sil pelted with Energy Blades, draining our very limited Potion of Extra Healing supply. Then I remember that poison bypasses Stoneskin. It didn't work that way in my vanilla SCS game, but it's been doing that in EE. Jan has Bolts of Biting, but he can't escape if he breaks his invisibility. So how are we going to get past that Stoneskin?

Sil, as a Kensai, can't use missile weapons, and even if she equipped one later with Use Any Item, she couldn't target anything that wasn't already within melee range, and using ranged weapons up close imposes a THAC0 and AC penalty.

But Kensais can use throwing daggers. Which includes the Poisoned Throwing Daggers we picked up from the fight with Mook at the Docks. And Layenne, as a mage, has a terrible save vs. death.

Sil keeps using hit and fade tactics with the throwing daggers. Sometimes Layenne makes her save, but she gradually starts to get weaker. Even so, I'm having second thoughts about continuing.

Sil's Protection from Magic scroll has worn off. So have her potion buffs, and though I could drink more, I might need some of those potions for later. We haven't exactly been swimming in them. It took ages to get the potions we have.

Layenne tries another divination spell, and Jan can't escape the area of effect. Worse yet, Layenne has Energy Blades, a marvelous spell disrupter. But with the right timing, Jan can slip away.

Then, I realize we need Jan to be visible. He recently took a proficiency point in shortbows, and we only just bought 5 Arrows of Dispelling from the fletcher in the Promenade. Jan needs to break his invisibility, even if it makes him vulnerable.

And it does make him vulnerable, even when he hits Layenne three times a round with Arrows of Biting that Sil tossed to him. And even with the Belt of Inertial Barrier, on loan from Aerie, he can't drink potions fast enough to stay calm. He panics.

At first I write him off as doomed, but I reconsider. Aerie can save him with Remove Fear. He gets back to work on Layenne, and finally the physical damage starts to disrupt some of her spells. Layenne gets one off the ground, and I can't give him an escape option in time, but his saving throws do the job for us.

Gnomes are very sturdy critters. Finally, Layenne fails a save.

He keeps up the pressure. We want to make sure she can't recover.

Jan takes hold of the Staff of the Magi. Now two of our party members can go invisible at will.
    Epic stuff, @semiticgod . Beating the Twisted Rune with a lvl 12 party. I feel myself as a student now. Hat's off to you!
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Hello again my friends!

I have some good and bad news (for me :smile: )
    Bad news is that my hdd is broken, so no saves left for my bg games. I was expecting it though.
    Good news is that I got really MAD, so I decided to start a new no-reload run, full-party but evil roleplaying this time!!

I decided not to document the run this time, I really want to play the game now. But the thing is that after posting my previous runs, although they were really short, I realized that I have a "need" to post something :smiley: ! So this time I will just post my progress in the game, my thoughts on the run and of course your precious advice is always welcome!

So here is my party:

"Elaira" - Skald Lvl 3 - 20hp (CON 15) - Charname
    "Kagain" - Fighter lvl 2 - 30hp (CON 20) - 1 death
    "Viconia"- Cleric lvl 3 - 18hp (CON 8)- 1 death
    "Dorn" - Blackguard lvl2 - 17hp (CON 14) - 0 deaths
    "Montaron" - Fighter lvl1/Thief lvl2 - 11hp (CON 15) - 0 deaths
    "Xzar" - Necromancer lvl2 - 6hp (CON 10) - 0 deaths

Inspired by @bengoshi's current playthrough with Aidahn (long may he live, errr.. I mean forever), I also level up with random hp and I must say I really like it! It makes the same npc - char different in every new game!
    The party is currently exploring the sword coast, delivering bounties, thirsty for gold and power! Reputation is already at 3 (despised) so Flaming Fist and guards attack me at first sight.
    It is also the first time I truly roleplay an evil char and I found out how hard a villain's life can be. At start I got a bit frustrated with my low reputation, but this is the life of a bad guy! I really like the different outcomes on certain quests and the "new" banters this time. One of the main obstacles in the game will be the high prices due to low reputation. High charisma can mitigate it a bit but I think it is not enouph. The evil party may ofc decide to donate in Temples to "prove their GOOD intentions". Another way is to do it when you complete quests, but I have lowered the gaining reputation function via SCS. Have you guys done something else?

Moreover I would like to mention the chunking effect. I didn't reduce it through modding, but I find it very interesting since it is a game changer in a no-reload run. The game has so many npcs and I love to face this kind of challenges. It adds a lot to replayability. Do you do the same? I also think to limit resurrection to 2 times, so the third death is for good!

"Godspeed"- Mirage -
    You're sweet, @bengoshi. Praise from Caesar, considering your epic Totemic Druid run.

To be honest, the formula for the Twisted Rune wasn't too different from my normal strategy in retrospect. The only thing I feel was truly clever was using Repulse Undead at the beginning to get Shangalar away from the party.

Our basic strategy for spellcasters is a seven step sequence: appear, fade, provoke, fade, conjure summons, disrupt spells, and backstab. We (1) trigger the enemy's buffs by appearing, then (2) vanish to wait out the buffs; (3) provoke the enemy into wasting offensive spells, either by sending summons after them or using ranged attacks or spells, and then (4) vanish again to evade the spells; then (5) summon some tougher critters to wear down the enemy's Stoneskins, (6) use Melf's Acid Arrow, Magic Missile, and Firetooth to disrupt their spells, and finally (7) send in Sil to backstab.

We need lots of escape options across multiple characters in order to make sure we can fade away when necessary. Without Invisibility, Invisibility 10' Radius, Haste, low-level summons, Teleport Field, and lots of running, we would have had to have prebuffed extensively to survive the pressure.

We had to make only minor changes in this strategy to deal with the Twisted Rune. The most important thing was shoring up our defenses, since there was so little room to hide in. We needed Repulse Undead to avoid Shangalar's True Seeing, Protection from Undead and Potions of Invisibility in case I bungled Sil's stealth, Boots of Speed to shorten Sil's period of visibility, the Rod of Resurrection to correct any fatal errors I made (and compensate for our low supply of Potions of Extra Healing), Teleport Field in case we got boxed in, the Mace of Disruption to save time on Shangalar, poisoned weapons to save time on Layenne, and Potions of Invulnerability, Magic Protection, and Magic Shielding to keep Sil safe from disablers (note that only only two Potions of Magic Protection or a Potion of Freedom could have stopped Power Word: Stun).

Vaxall's wandering off was a big blessing in restrospect. It probably saved us a lot of Potions of Invulnerability and Magic Shielding, as it allowed Sil and Jan to poison Layenne without worrying about getting blasted by a Beholder ray. With all other enemies removed from the map, Vaxall could then be taken down using summons. If I couldn't do that, we'd likely end up using lots of wands to bring him down, as he has 365 HP in Nightmare mode, and is immune to backstab. It would have been wise to buy some scrolls of Stone to Flesh, as I only had one such scroll, and we could have permanently lost several party members if we had to leave them in there.

We're now much better equipped to handle future challenges. Taking down the Shadow Thief headquarters was much simpler, as Edwin, Aerie, and Jan could trade off the Staff of the Magi and attack without breaking invisibility. It's also a marvelous debuffer. The Staff of the Magi in my install dispels magic without a save, but dispels as if it were a level 30 caster, which means, in Nightmare mode, it's not going to be able to dispel all buffs. Even against Shadow Thief mages, it couldn't always dispel their buffs, but it was fairly reliable. Without Stoneskin, Aran Linvail and his mage friend were open to backstabs. There was a major scare, however, earlier in the fight, when Sil almost got killed by a triple Flame Arrow Spell Sequencer, and was reduced to 4 HP by a followup Minute Meteor.

Cernd has hit level 13, and therefore has Greater Werewolf form, which grants 50% resistance to the elements, 40% magic resistance, -12 total AC, and 1 regeneration per second, as well as a +3 weapon at 3 APR and a very fast movement rate. It's not enough to let him tank Nightmare enemies, but he's still much harder to kill now.

Also, Sil broke her backstab record.
    edited October 2015
    Did the thing and got my books. Tested the laser beam for funsies, using a double scorcher Minor Sequencer from Edwin across Jan and Aerie, and with Cernd casting Magic Resistance on our target.

Did you know Adalon in Nightmare mode has 2,366 HP?

That dialog box is filled entirely with fire damage. It hit Adalon so many times that the messages couldn't fit in the box. And those scorchers haven't even run out yet.

I think I'll call it the Death Ray Zorcher.

Total reloads so far: 2.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    In Spellhold we get a taste of what life would be like if Sil was adventuring alone.

It's painfully slow. You can only move one circle at a time. A familiar would be a prerequisite for a blind solo run.

Outside, I discover that traps apparently can be within an enemy's view if the thief is blind. That didn't hold for vanilla, but it works in EE.

For some reason, Bhaal refuses to follow me inside, and I have to use the console to bring him inside. I think the problem is he can attack you from a considerable distance thanks to his two-handed sword, and won't get close enough to the door to follow you in.

We have a lot of trouble with the Spellhold Yuan-ti before I realize that they're optional enemies and I'd be better off farming kobolds later than fighting the Yuan-ti now. The Spellhold lich is a bigger problem, as we can't sneak past it. But Jan uses a Protection from Undead scroll and hassles the lich with the Staff of the Magi, while the rest of the party stays out of the way--aside from Edwin, whom I used to pester the lich a little, and nearly died for his efforts. Jan and Sil lay traps for the lich to wander into, gradually wearing it down, until finally Jan can chunk it.

Honestly... evasive strategies are really, really overpowered. I seldom ever did it in my other runs, but it's become a habit in Nightmare mode. Maybe it's just because I normally have enemy mages pre-buff in my installs, and I'm finally no longer facing them fully buffed, which makes them seem easier. At any rate, I think it's probably a bad idea for normal runs, to flee from battle and wait out enemy buffs. It's realistic, but it makes the battles both longer and easier, and usually a bit less fun.

I've gotten a little weary of those evasive strategies, and I leap at the chance to deal a quick death to Dace Sontan. I bring out the scorcher loop and roast him.

This isn't the Death Ray Zorcher; it's just a normal scorcher loop, though I did use the Book of Daily Spell to generate it. I also use it to deal with the kobold horde, which otherwise would have taken forever to bring down.

I forgot to buff Jan and Aerie with Protection from Fire, however, which costs me a charge from the Rod of Resurrection.

Both characters are safe for a moment, when the Spell Turning spell is still active, but once it wears off, both characters are going to get nailed by a bunch of scorcher spells. They're spared most of the blast, but even the tail ends of the loop are enough to burn both characters down.

Yuan-ti get in the way again in the next area. I try to take down the mage's GOI spell, but Edwin loses his Stoneskins and dies before he can finish casting Pierce Magic. I just wait out the GOI instead before roasting them.

Also, Sil breaks her record for backstabbing again.

I'm a little worried about the run. I've gotten impatient with the pace of the fights, hence my willingness to resort to the scorcher loop. I originally intended to only use the blind thief trick, but no other glitches or oddities, but it's just so slow. I think I might have seen all there is to see in this run, and that's usually when I restart. Sil doesn't have much growth left. She won't change much until she gets Use Any Item, and that's a long way off even now. Worse yet, a thief doesn't scale well in Nightmare mode. Backstabs won't help against late-game bosses, and traps won't do enough to scale with the enemy's increasing HP.

The scorcher loop doesn't scale either, but then, it doesn't really need to. A triple scorcher sequencer loop with two Spell Turning spells already does over 800 damage, and I don't even know how much damage the Death Ray Zorcher does.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Well, I think I'll come back. Remember me? From like page 7 or something? Yeah.
    I'm going to do a party in vanilla IWD, based on the rather interesting party some of my friends have rolled up for a Forgotten Realms campaign.

BAM!

Party leader: Acid McStonershrooms, human fighter. Using the barbarian fighter class from The Complete Barbarian's Handbook in table-top, but that doesn't exist in vanilla.

2nd liner: D'Ees Nots, elf ranger.

3rd liner: Béorn Axehand, dwarf cleric of Dumathoin. Using the Delvesonn kit from Demihuman Deities in table-top, but that doesn't exist in vanilla.

Healer: Oswall, human cleric of Helm. Using the Watcher kit from Faiths & Avatars in table-top, but that doesn't exist in vanilla.

Utility: De'Kal, half-elf thief/mage. Tiefling from Planewalker's Handbook and using the assassin kit from The Complete Thief's Handbook in table-top, but those don't exist in vanilla.

Caster: Wibbles, gnome illusionist.

7th, in case of permanent death: Dümwār the Crazed, halfling fighter.

I didn't name these people.

Here's the stat pics (I used DaleKeeper to input the pen-and-paper stats.

Acid:

D'Ees:

Béorn:

Oswall:

De'Kal:

Wibbles:

Strength scores will make this party a little lackluster in melee, matching their real life counterparts.

We'll have a game play update in the future.
    After some thought, I've decided to continue the run. I'm just going to accept the presence of the scorcher loop, because, now that I think about it, the scorcher loop was the main reason I took an interest in a Heart of Fury-style BG2 run a while back, and that's the basis of this Nightmare run as well. I'm also going to play a little more aggressively, which will speed up the fights at the cost of decreasing our safety.

We avoided fighting the Mind Flayer in the level where Bodhi attacks you. I later realized that, by also avoiding the fight with the Mind Flayer and Beholder in the previous area, we lost our chance to get a Ring of Free Action.

That's a really, really big loss for us. Unless I tweak Use Any Item to permit NPC items, Sil's only defense against stun is an easily dispellable Potion of Freedom or Free Action or Chaotic Commands spell. Aerie adds another casting of Remove Paralysis to her spellbook.

Now we have to deal with Irenicus. It won't be so bad because I tweaked my install so that we wouldn't lose all of our items during the Spellhold gauntlet. My records of the fight are sketchy--the fight was not actually all that tough.

We came pre-buffed with SI: Abjuration, as I suspected that staying invisible would not be an option, and running away was definitely not an option. This meant heavy buffs were in order. Sil was rendered visible early on, but managed to slip away from her clone in the north corner after a failed backstab attempt.

I kept Sil out of the fight for the duration. Her clone was an especially big risk, as her clone also carried a copy of Celestial Fury and could stun-lock any target.

This fight is always very hard to manage, as you have up to 7 large and diverse threats on the map: Irenicus himself, and up to 6 clones depending on your party size. The inmates are a big help, but you can't control them, which means you have to prioritize. Sometimes it makes sense to focus all of your attention on Irenicus. Other times his position is unassailable and your only option is to work on the clones. In our case, we could make progress against both, which meant we had a lot of decisions to make every round.

Jan and Imoen distributed poison effects around the clones and Irenicus when possible. We dedicated our spells to disablers, but had little success. A Time Stop from Wanev rendered our efforts moot.

We hit Irenicus repeatedly with debuffers. Since he had no GOI spell active, we could use Secret Word freely. But, to my frustration, even after removing his Spell Shield and Spell Turning, he had a Spell Immunity or Spell Deflection effect (they have the same visual, so I didn't know which it was) that I could not remove despite hitting it with several Secret Word and Pierce Magic spells. I was hoping I could hit him with Breach and Acid Arrow, but as the rounds went by, his weapon immunities vanished, allowing Imoen and Jan to hit him with Arrows and Bolts of Biting. He makes his saves vs. death, but Firetooth's fire damage doesn't offer a save.

Wanev made a huge impact on the fight with the clones, as they had no defense against Horrid Wilting. A friendly Efreeti and its level 20 Flame Arrow chipped in.

As the rounds went by, so did our buffs. SI: Abjuration vanished without my noticing, allowing an unfriendly debuffer to wipe out our buffs. Sil is out of range, and therefore keeps the largely unnecessary Potion of Magic Shielding buff she used to block her clone's copy of Celestial Fury, but Jan also keeps his Chaotic Commands and Protection from Evil buffs, despite getting hit by the spell.

Edwin is now stun-locked by Sil's clone. Aerie rescues him with Teleport Field, and we spend some time chasing around our enemies. Irenicus' Stoneskins wear off.

It's just a matter of time. When Irenicus gets to Near Death, Edwin nails him with Flame Arrow to make sure Irenicus doesn't recover.

Soon, Irenicus is on his merry way, and Saemon Havarian brings us to City Sushi.

A scorcher loop roasts many of the Sahuagin in our first fight with the rebels, but fails to harm the Priestess, who I forgot was immune by virtue of her Cloak of Mirroring.

I get interrupted and forget to save before I quit, which means I have to fight the Priestess' allies again when I reload. I want to take down the Priestess before I fight her buddies, but my only option for doing that safely is to backstab her, and the City of Caverns can be hard to hide in. Like the Planar Prison, I've noticed stealth is more difficult here than in most places.

Instead, I send out Edwin with the Staff of the Magi and have him hit her with Feeblemind... only to see her cast Chaotic Commands on herself after making no save against the Feeblemind spell. It seems she casts it even if she gets feebleminded.

I try Polymorph Other instead. It shows the visual effect, but she doesn't turn into a squirrel. I try several times over, and finally see her turn into a squirrel... only to see her immediately turn back into a sahuagin. All it does is interrupt her spell.

During my tests, I notice that she goes down to Near Death after recovering from the polymorph effect. Apparently polymorph (is this an EE thing?) can reduce the target's HP to 1, just like petrification. I spot her healing herself with a big potion.

And suddenly, she's at Uninjured again. But this is a great clue: if a Potion of Superior Healing--which heals 40 HP--brought her from Near Death to Uninjured, it must mean her max HP is less than 42. A single backstab will bring her down. Sil zips by to cut her down.

We move on to the Priestess' buddies. Apparently sahuagin count as humanoids: they're vulnerable to Hold Person.

We rely on the scorcher loop to clear up some more of the enemies. It tends to wipe out everything that isn't immune to magic. Skeleton Warriors, unfortunately, have 90% magic resistance.

We sneak past most of the rest of the fights, until we're up against King Ixilthetocal (gotta love that name). We dispatch him with a crowd of hasted summons. On to the Underdark.

By the way, either EE or SCS v30 fixed the sahuagin gold exploit. In the vanilla game, the store at the Temple of Sekolah in the far northwest corner of the map had very screwed up prices, offering you incredibly high prices in exchange for your stuff, but not charging very high prices themselves. This meant that a high CHA, high reputation party could actually make money by selling and buying back big ticket items like the Helm of Balduran. You could gather thousands of gold that way. The temple still gives you lots of gold for your stuff--it's still a good idea to save some items to sell them there, instead of in Athkatla--but it's no longer possible to get unlimited gold from them.