Skip to content

Ideal level

Does anybody share the opinion that Baldur's Gate becomes less fun after level 13?

Level 13 seems like a good level for all the classes. Fighters achieve maximum number of attacks. Mages have access to level 6 spells. Thieves get X5 backstab. Clerics can fully heal.

After level 13 the only challenge in the game is enemies with immunities and special attacks like magic resistance, level drain and stat drain. These types of battles seem more frustrating than fun at times when your party is being annihilated by a special attacks like level drain which becomes simple to defeat once negative plane protection equipment is procured. Likewise mindflayers with stat drain become simple to defeat once immune summons like Mordenkenien's sword are available.

Which level and stage in Baldur's Gate do you think is most fun?

Comments

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    For most characters sure, level 13.

Druids level 17 though - their HLA are not gamebreaking and I usually only play Druid to summon Sunnis. So that would be level 15 for one HLA and 16 for GES, then 17 to get a second spell for good measure - SoV is usually my choice.

I would also consider leveling Clerics to their second HLA. Implosion and Storm of Vengeance are fun spells and they don't break the game the same way Improved Alacrity does.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Space said:

After level 13 the only challenge in the game is enemies with immunities and special attacks like magic resistance, level drain and stat drain.

This is why I use the SCS mod. With it, even after reaching the 13th, the 15th or the 20th level, the game stays balanced and battles offer good riddles.

As for the favourite level and stage, I like the BG1 wild areas more than anything and because I usually do them at levels 2-6, I find them the most favourite.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited March 2015
    I always look forward to the great loot that is found later in the game and I feel that HLA's are very nice and add to the experience. It is true that characters don't gain much in the way of attacks but spell casters get higher level spells and more of them all the way up until the upper 20's.

If you multi-class it will postpone your character from reaching high level in each class so that can make the level up process more interesting and rewarding for a much longer period of time or until the mid point of TOB with triple classes.

Dual class can also allow you to fully enjoy the development of two classes separately and then feel the power at the end game. Dual and multi will change the way you play and allow synergy from the various classes to give new possibilities of power that are not the same as earning a new ability at level up but are equally if not more rewarding due to the requirement that you experiment and push the game limitations.

All in all, I agree that single class fighter types can be bland after you hit level 13 but there are plenty of ways to keep things interesting at high level if you mix and match classes and the loot in this game is very rewarding for any class at any level in my opinion.

Like bengoshi mentioned, SCS is also a way to mix up the gameplay and strategy. It will force you to use more of your abilities and items in interesting combinations which will expand the challenge and the general complexity of the gameplay. This will make any class push itself further and on insane it can make some classes down right nasty to play as.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    That's problem with the ideal level. My levels keep changing all the time.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    My favourite stage of the game is mid-game SoA, when your characters start to feel very powerful and become very proficient at what they do, and you've found some epic items to tool them up. However, facing a dragon or a lich is still a big deal and those powerful items are few and far between.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I believe that the ideal level cap of each chapter is:

Chapter 1-2 : Until level 11
    Chapters 3-4: From level 12 to 13
    Chapters 5-6: From level 14 to 17
    ToB: 17-23
    Reaching level 13 while doing stronghold quests makes the game too easy!
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Some would prefer the highest level though high level game is not as fun as mid level game.

It's a question of when the game is ideally balanced and challenging to make it fun.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited March 2015
    I agree with both @space and @heindrich but also I've find that when playing, if I avoid stealing all the best equipment possible from early on and instead very gradually upgrade my gear, I get a more balanced playthrough.

Sure, levels in themselves can "break" the balance making you OP, but if you actually have to struggle against a vamp because only one or two of your party has enchanted weapons +3, while the others have to act meatshields, it's more rewarding once you win. I wait a long time before buying OP gear like robe of vecna etc, so it feels really rewarding once I do buy it.

Edit: I also don't rush for items just because I know where to find them, like going directly for the Tuigan if I have a shortbow user. Instead I pick quests on random, often focusing alot on the party memners quests for a long time, and only using what I find and only buying spells instead of stealing them all.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Skatan I do something similar to you, in that I don't rush straight for the quests that yields the loot that I want. For example I have Keldorn, but I don't intend to deal with the Windspear Hills until after the Underdark. Carsomyr will probably make much of Spellhold and the Underdark a lot easier. I also considered doing quests in a random order, but I gave up on the idea because it makes it quite hard to build up a consistent roleplaying narrative in my head.

At the end of the day, "difficulty" is very arbitrary and subjective, and greatly depends on how you play the game. I like the saying that the most OP ability in BG is "Rest", so rest restrictions, among other self-imposed limitations, is what keeps my games challenging and interesting even though I never moved beyond Core Rules.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Heindrich said:

At the end of the day, "difficulty" is very arbitrary and subjective, and greatly depends on how you play the game. I like the saying that the most OP ability in BG is "Rest", so rest restrictions, among other self-imposed limitations, is what keeps my games challenging and interesting even though I never moved beyond Core Rules.

I also avoid resting until extremelly necessary. However , the amount of power your characters get after level 12 is not arbitrary or subjective - it is a fact that 12th level warriors kick ass , mages cast very powerful spells, clerics heal completely and ressurect , rogues have all skills ...

It quite complex, however, to limit that power. No one tells us to do all quests before chapter 3 , and most players like the path of overpower.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    This seems to be highly subjective from player to player. I even feel differently based on my specific character/party and where I am in the story.
    But no doubt, somewhere in the early teens this game becomes less interesting. From a pure game mechanics perspective I think this game is at its best from mid-BG1 through mid-BG2.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm with atcDave. D&D in general tends to start out too random with too few options, and end up basically rocket tag. The game is best when it's somewhere between those extremes.