Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity: which Challenge mode are you most excited for?

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
Yeah so Pillars has 3 very interesting Challenge modes to choose from, they can in fact be used in tandem.
This seems to be the perfect excuse to power game to my hearts content XD

Challenge Modes descriptions:

Pillars of Eternity features three game modes: Trial by Iron, Expert Mode, and Path of the Damned, that players seeking extra challenge can opt-into at the beginning of each game. All three modes are optional and can be combined together in any combination on top of the standard difficulty settings.

Expert Mode:
Enable more punitive and demanding game-play elements, in and out of combat, including all the individual options above. The mode is similar to Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore Mode, Expert Mode.[7] Because it disables all of the common ease-of-use "helper" information, it is regarded by some players as the most realistic way to play.

Trial of Iron:
The player has one save game that persists for the entire campaign... or until player characters die.[7] Trial of Iron save games are distinguished with metal textures instead of wood.[8] when you quit your current state is automatically saved and you can re-enter that saved game to continue playing. However, if your party dies, the game ends and your save is deleted — you must begin a new Trials of Iron game.[7]

The mode is similar to Temple of Elemental Evil's Ironman Mode. It is likely a wink to classic CRPGs of the 80s, intended to restricting any reloads to counteract regrettable decisions, thus increase game difficulty, making it harder for players to abuse save/load to get the results they like also known as Save Scumming.

Path of the Damned:
is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode. In the encounters, individual combatants will be turned on and off based on the level of difficulty. In an area on Easy, maybe casters are replaced with weak melee enemies. On Hard, maybe the casters are augmented by a tough melee enemy or two. With Path of the Damned, that goes out the window. All enemies from all levels of difficulty are enabled and the combat mechanics are amplified to make battles much more brutal for everyone involved.

all descriptions pulled from:
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Mode
  1. Pillars of Eternity: which Challenge mode are you most excited for?28 votes
    1. Expert Mode
        7.14%
    2. Trial of Iron
      17.86%
    3. Path of the Damned
        3.57%
    4. Combo of two of the above
      21.43%
    5. Combo of all three
        7.14%
    6. None of the above
      42.86%

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Expert Mode combo'd with Path of the Damned, seems like it could make for a amazing second playthough.
    Could never do the Iron man mode stuff, losing a character after 50+ hrs is way too hardcore for me, but a tactical challenge i can try over and over till i figure out the perfect way too complete it sounds like a alot of fun.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wow cool. I'll be trying them all for sure.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm very pleased that by Trial of Iron PoE offers the Ironman mode. It's something huge that BG all these years missed: threads of no-reload runs (especially the bioware forum's one with more than 500 pages) show it the best.

To me, it's the most exiting of the challenges.

But for my first playthrough, I'm going to play just on a hard difficulty, without any additional mode.
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    I have terrible strategy, so normal mode will be challenging enough for me.

I might dabble with the harder options for a second playthrough
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    scriver said:

Big Head mode, for people like me who are full of themselves.

The only correct answer.

TBH I'm not really that excited about any of them. Expert disables ease of use features I want, so I'll probably never play with it on. Ironman can be really fun, but I'll leave that and PotD until I've mastered the game. My first playthrough will be with just plain old hard difficulty.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Triple Crown Solo all the way.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Challenge modes aren't my thing. Might try expert at some point, but my first run will just be normal.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Maybe on my second (if i ever get to play PoE...) run I'll try out Trial of Iron, but Expert Mode seems like something that'll be active all the time after I learn how to play.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2015
    Is Path of the Damned similar to Heart of Fury in that it is impossible to tackle with level 1 characters? I'm currently playing IWD:EE and love the extra spawns on Insanity. However, I would not play HoF - the concept of increasing the difficulty by buffing the enemies' stats is just not appealing to me.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Ballad HoF is far from impossible starting at level 1.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Honestly, given most people's feedback so far with the game, even NORMAL mode is proving to be a damn decent challenge on it's own. What's heartening to know after spending nearly $50 (which for the first time in a long time I felt great about paying full price for a game) is that this game is going have the same kind of replay value that the best RPGs always do.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm playing on hard and It's taking a lot of time to figure out what bits I can handle and what I should leave till later.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I have several questions to those of you who actually tried the Trial of Iron mode.

With the Trial of Iron mode, does the game end when only your main character losts all Endurance during a fight or when all your party members do so?

Also, does this mode mean a permadeath: i.e. when a character loses all his Health (not Endurance, but Health), he's dead and you should take a new companion or make a new character in a tavern?
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    All party members must be knocked out. I can confirm with a 10 minute fresh memory. Also, a cipher can't kite a bandit away from the unconscious remainder of the party; the bandit is too fast.

As for the second I'm pretty sure that's a setting not related to difficulty. Game options, maim characters before death or something.

As for the main topic, I wouldn't dream of playing on expert mode. Figuring out the AoE of 9001 spells with this and that int score is unreal. I can spend 10 seconds fine-tuning my aim with the reticule on - I would be outright calculating it if I couldn't see it.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    wubble said:

I'm playing on hard and It's taking a lot of time to figure out what bits I can handle and what I should leave till later.

This is the key point.
    I believe they did not implement adaptative enemies scaling with your lvl or event or whatever.
    I bet the game becomes much easier after a couple of playthroughs.
    If so this will probably have an impact on the replayability because even if you can still decide to face a difficult challenge on purpose, many other areas will just become "messenger" quests subject to boredom.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499

Playing without a reticule can be quite fun. Your non-fireballing party members run quite fast when the caster yells 'incoming'. :3

And trigger disengagement attacks and get stuck there anyway...

Obviously there's no visual aid in BG, but there's very few spells to keep track of, and Fireball for example has travel time.

PotD+ToI is scary as hell. An estimated 95% chance to win is always viewed as an estimated 5% chance to lose :(
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Expert mode is nice but I am not a big fan of it.
    ToI can be (and has already been) cheated and abused so again not the winner for me.
    I see those two things as a kind of helpers used to improve your mastery of the game but perhaps this is more a tool than a public challenge.

PotD is different. I have always been fond of this type of feature even though I clearly prefer a challenge based on an enhanced AI.
    I suppose we cannot have everything. If the paradigm is "who gives the first hard punch wins the fight", so be it, I am glad to face the challenge anyway.
    There is a lot of strategy to develop in order to make sure you can reproduce and control a fight evolution.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I'm a baby. But I do want to do a solo run.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

told a character to walk one way, around a trap... he drunkenly swerves and walks onto the trap. FWOOOM! o_O

Happened to me too. Hadn't saved since entering the damn cave and had spent quite a bit of time on inventory management... so I let her dumb face just walk over the a few more fire tiles. That'll teach her.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I haven't played a lot of games intentionally reducing my saves, but I will say that when I played XCOM: Enemy Unknown in Ironman Mode I stepped up my tactics to 11. Sometimes I play a little fast and loose with multiple save games, but I was as honed as a razor for Ironman. That game only has 2 soldier deaths, and I haven't lost any member nations yet; it makes me proud in ways that a normal game doesn't exactly.

Anyway... yeah, long story short I find Ironman to be a bit of a rush, and it forces me to play a tighter tactical game with better micromanagement.